What's new

College Football

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hope Nick gets healthy, hope BAMA wins.

Nick is in my prayers. I'm a fan of him as a coach and, from the little I know of him, as a person.

Dawgs hungry for elepant.jpg

As far as hoping Bama wins, well that's another story entirely.

Go, Dawgs!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
From a cultural and personality perspective Nick Saban would have been a much better fit at Notre Dame than Brian Kelly, and he would have been more successful than Kelly as well. I know an assistant coach of a prominent women's sport at Bama who attends the same church as Saban and his family and she says he walks the walk as well as any sinner can walk it. Prayers for his speedy recovery.

Owen Bawn

Number 1 Clemson managed to squeak past Georgia Tech, eh? In a season where teams might only play 5 or 6 games and go undefeated, Dabo appears to want to leave little doubt about whether his team is any good.

Owen Bawn

For example, Ohio State hasn't even played a game but many of the Bucknuts around here are grumbling that the Buckeyes deserve to be ranked #1.

For example, Ohio State hasn't even played a game but many of the Bucknuts around here are grumbling that the Buckeyes deserve to be ranked #1.
They always do that. They are thinking with their heart, not their head. I believe Clemson is going to tear up the playoffs. I sure hope Clemson gets a shot at Alabama.

Owen Bawn

As a visiting fan of the opponent's team I've been many places but I have never been treated more warmly than I have been treated at Clemson. Just a remarkable, friendly atmosphere with good, kind people. They see you walking around in your school's colors and they practically drag you in to enjoy their food and drink as they tailgate. I've been there 4 times and it happens every single time.

As a visiting fan of the opponent's team I've been many places but I have never been treated more warmly than I have been treated at Clemson. Just a remarkable, friendly atmosphere with good, kind people. They see you walking around in your school's colors and they practically drag you in to enjoy their food and drink as they tailgate. I've been there 4 times and it happens every single time.
True Southern Hospitality. The further North I go, the less I see that type of behavior.

Owen Bawn

True Southern Hospitality. The further North I go, the less I see that type of behavior.
West Virginia University is a downright dangerous place to visit. A shame because Morgantown and environs are lovely. It isn't West Virginians, it's WVU, because I've been to Marshall several times and had a great experience. Of all the places I've been, WVU and believe it or not little stupid UConn are the two least friendly; actually in both places I've experienced open hostility just for the color of my ballcap.
Back in the Orange Bowl days Miami could be a little dodgy as well, but I haven't been to a U game since 1998 so I don't know what it's like now.

Last edited:
West Virginia University is a downright dangerous place to visit. A shame because Morgantown and environs are lovely. Of all the places I've been, WVU and believe it or not little stupid UConn are the two least friendly; actually in both places I've experienced open hostility just for the color of my ballcap.
I’ve never understood that mentality. After all, it’s just a game. As a Longhorn fan living in Oklahoma, I’ve experienced both. I went to a game in Stillwater in my burnt orange and was treated like a king by the Pokes fans. But Norman is a different story. The OU faithful range from tolerant to openly hostile.

I would like to put the chrome Longhorn on the tailgate of my pickup, but I am not at all confident that some Sooner fan might become enraged and do something to my truck.

Owen Bawn

I’ve never understood that mentality. After all, it’s just a game. As a Longhorn fan living in Oklahoma, I’ve experienced both. I went to a game in Stillwater in my burnt orange and was treated like a king by the Pokes fans. But Norman is a different story. The OU faithful range from tolerant to openly hostile.

I would like to put the chrome Longhorn on the tailgate of my pickup, but I am not at all confident that some Sooner fan might become enraged and do something to my truck.
Hook 'em! My sophomore year of college, September 1976. You guys had Earl Campbell, Johnny Ham Jones and Jonny Lam Jones in the same backfield, and kicker Russell Erxleben, who I believe held the NCAA FG record for a while. This game was the beginning of the end for Coach Royal.

Texas_76_Scoreboard.jpg

Hook 'em! My sophomore year of college, September 1976. You guys had Earl Campbell, Johnny Ham Jones and Jonny Lam Jones in the same backfield, and kicker Russell Erxleben, who I believe held the NCAA FG record for a while. This game was the beginning of the end for Coach Royal.

View attachment 1170375
That was quite a team. They have been close to that level in the Colt McCoy years and the last championship year, but not quite there. They seem to have forsaken the running game for the pass. As a result they have trouble staying on the field for long defense grinding drives and our defense ends up getting exposed.

Owen Bawn

Having Longhorn Network on my TV has made me a Texas fan of sorts; I coached high school softball for years, and LHN televises every Texas home softball game, so I seldom miss one. I also watch a fair amount of Texas baseball on LHN. That's a storied program.

Having Longhorn Network on my TV has made me a Texas fan of sorts; I coached high school softball for years, and LHN televises every Texas home softball game, so I seldom miss one. I also watch a fair amount of Texas baseball on LHN. That's a storied program.
I cut the cord last Wednesday and am now watching via a Firestick, Amazon Prime and Hulu. I have not yet figured out how to get the LHN in that configuration. I too enjoy watching the baseball and softball. I sorely missed it this year. I certainly hope the rulers at the NCAA see fit to give all these kids another year of eligibility, and I hope that Covid-19 does not stretch into next season...but I’m not holding my breath.

Owen Bawn

I cut the cord last Wednesday and am now watching via a Firestick, Amazon Prime and Hulu. I have not yet figured out how to get the LHN in that configuration. I too enjoy watching the baseball and softball. I sorely missed it this year. I certainly hope the rulers at the NCAA see fit to give all these kids another year of eligibility, and I hope that Covid-19 does not stretch into next season...but I’m not holding my breath.
I agree. Your softball team last year was a powerhouse. As good as any team I've seen anywhere in the past 20 years. That new coach White is the best in the land.

Top Bottom