What's new

College Football

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Presbyterian is playing right down the road from me at UDayton Saturday. If the weather is favorable I think I'll go to the game.

Apparently they got destroyed this past weekend by the Fighting Camels of Campbell University, a small school located in Buies Creek, NC. 72-0...ouch. Well, I guess when you commit 10 turnovers it really doesn't matter what your coaching strategy is.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Apparently they got destroyed this past weekend by the Fighting Camels of Campbell University, a small school located in Buies Creek, NC. 72-0...ouch. Well, I guess when you commit 10 turnovers it really doesn't matter what your coaching strategy is.

I actually saw the Campbell Camels play at Dayton the first year they revived their football program. Must have been around 2008 or 2010.

Owen Bawn

I've had a soft spot in my heart for Marshall ever since the plane crash. I thought the McConaghey film 'We Are Marshall' was terrific. I was privileged to meet Jack Lengyel on several occasions while he was the athletic director of the Naval Academy. That was years before the film was made, so I never got to ask him what it was like to have McConaghey play him in a movie. I knew Lengyel was the first coach at Marshall after the crash, and he always spoke of Marshall warmly, but I suspect that he carried many of the details highlighted in the film deep within his heart. Not ashamed to say that I've seen the film twice and I cried like a baby both times.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Attention, University of Texas. It is nice that you put up 70 points. Now spend the coming week working on your defense. You let Tech put up 35 points. If they had had a defense, you might have been in trouble.

Owen Bawn

Beautiful afternoon on the banks of the Great Miami River in Dayton. Presbyterian jumped out to a 23-0 lead but Dayton clawed back, scoring 49 unanswered points to win, 63-43. I've never seen a game like it. A thousand yards in offense. Presbyterian always going on 4th down, always kicking off onside. Dayton not only kept up with them, but they blew them apart.

I came home to grill some Tony Packo's and to watch the BC Missouri game, which also had a very happy ending. This is a decent- not great, but decent - BC team. They'll win 8 or 9, maybe even 10 if they catch a few breaks. I'm happy. My wife just went to bed with a book so I've got the Miami of Ohio at Army game recorded. Really glad I went to the Dayton game. A lot of fun.

Beautiful afternoon on the banks of the Great Miami River in Dayton. Presbyterian jumped out to a 23-0 lead but Dayton clawed back, scoring 49 unanswered points to win, 63-43. I've never seen a game like it. A thousand yards in offense. Presbyterian always going on 4th down, always kicking off onside. Dayton not only kept up with them, but they blew them apart.

I came home to grill some Tony Packo's and to watch the BC Missouri game, which also had a very happy ending. This is a decent- not great, but decent - BC team. They'll win 8 or 9, maybe even 10 if they catch a few breaks. I'm happy. My wife just went to bed with a book so I've got the Miami of Ohio at Army game recorded. Really glad I went to the Dayton game. A lot of fun.
Great win for Boston College today

Owen Bawn

Great win for Boston College today
I'm not saying it will happen, but with another Clemson loss yesterday this could be the year when the stars align and Duke, BC, or Wake Forest win the ACC championship. Imagine the angst on Tobacco Road if BC and Pitt meet in the ACC Championship game? ACC people think these northeast 'newcomers' to the conference started playing football around 2004. BC, Syracuse, and Pitt have been playing one another for 100 years.

I'm not saying it will happen, but with another Clemson loss yesterday this could be the year when the stars align and Duke, BC, or Wake Forest win the ACC championship. Imagine the angst on Tobacco Road if BC and Pitt meet in the ACC Championship game? ACC people think these northeast 'newcomers' to the conference started playing football around 2004. BC, Syracuse, and Pitt have been playing one another for 100 years.
How long has it been since B.C. started 4 an 0 ?

The Polls sure took a beating Saturday.

Some big upsets:
  • NC State over Clemson
  • Arkansas over Texas A&M
  • Baylor over Iowa State
  • Oklahoma State over Kansas State
  • GA Tech over North Carolina

Owen Bawn

How long has it been since B.C. started 4 an 0 ?
2007. Matt Ryan's senior year. They spent a few weeks in October ranked #2. They finished the regular season with 10 wins, but lost the ACC Championship game to VT, whom they had beaten in October.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Some big upsets:
  • NC State over Clemson
  • Baylor over Iowa State

I agree except nobody paying attention to Arkansas was really surprised there.

Old Fashioned Uga Dawg cartoon..jpg

Arkansas is my second favorite SEC team. I expect 'em to have a great season under The Pit Boss.

That said, next Saturday I'll be listening to Larry Munson, hoping to hear once again something like this...

"We just stepped on their face with a hobnail boot and broke their nose! We just crushed their face!"

After that I'll go back to rooting for the Razorbacks, hoping to see them again in Atlanta.

Go, Dawgs!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

Some big upsets:
  • NC State over Clemson
  • Baylor over Iowa State
I know the polls took a beating, but in recent years Arkansas, Baylor, and Oklahoma State have been teams I wouldn't bet against despite match-ups with ranked opponents. To me the big surprise on that list was Georgia Tech.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Boston College 27
Clemson 24

Going on record with that prediction, eh? This could indeed be the year, although I still think Clemson will be a handful on the road. You should go to the game, it's only a short (2 hours, reasonably short) drive from here. They have a nice stadium and the weather is going to be dang near perfect. If you sit on the south side you can watch a gorgeous sunset over Lake Hartwell right before kickoff, and gaze northward into the Appalachians of WNC. I recommend stopping at Mac's Drive In in Clemson for a cheeseburger or the Smokin Pig in Pendleton for BBQ.

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Then when you're driving back up this way, stop at The Big Clock outside of Greenville

1633033571812.jpeg

It's a really beautiful drive. Then when you're here in AVL on Sunday be sure to visit New Belgium on the river.

That's what I would call a proper football weekend ;)

proxy.php
proxy.php

Owen Bawn

I've been to Clemson 3 times for BC games over the years. Friendliest people on earth. They see you walking around in the visiting team's colors before the game and they insist that you join their tailgate and enjoy their hospitality. Happens every time. I wish I was going to the game- the last BC road game I attended was at Purdue 2 years ago. I've actually been to both Mac's and the Smokin' Pig. @JWCowboy

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've been to Clemson 3 times for BC games over the years. Friendliest people on earth. They see you walking around in the visiting team's colors before the game and they insist that you join their tailgate and enjoy their hospitality. Happens every time. I wish I was going to the game- the last BC road game I attended was at Purdue 2 years ago. I've actually been to both Mac's and the Smokin' Pig. @JWCowboy

It's a very nice area. I am a big Dawg fan, but have loads of great friends who were forced to attend Clemson and yet remained good people.

Happy shaves,

Jim

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Stanford with the upset of the day so far, also UK holding on to a 10 pt lead late against #10 Florida late in the fourth.

Top Bottom