What's new

College Football

Miami had several chances to take a 14 point lead in this game,but it didn't happened. A 14 point lead would have at least had a positive mind set for Miami. Will never know.
Dropping balls all over. Rambo catches the ball. Why Harley gets targeted is beyond me. The TE drop in the end zone was awful. Frustrating.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Grad school. The only alma mater that still plays football.
Miami is an outstanding private university whose academic reputation was negatively affected by the antics of its football team. Thirty years later and the university still hasn't been able to shed that image. People keep waiting for the thuggery and the undefeated seasons to return. In many ways Miami has much more in common with Northwestern or BC or Duke than it has with Alabama, but that image persists, and people keep expecting a 12-0 season.

It doesn't help that they play home games at whatever they call the Dolphins field nowadays. Students will stagger across campus for a noon football game, but they're far less likely to cross town for one.

Owen Bawn

I was locked in to the first half of the Stanford Vanderbilt game, but the thing unraveled for Vandy in the last 4 minutes of the first half so I shaved and went to bed. Earlier in the day I switched back and forth between the BC Temple and the UConn Army games. BC might be 3-0, but I'm very concerned as they head to Mizzou and Clemson. UConn, on the other hand, might be the worst team in the past 20 years. Army had a 40 point lead at the half having only thrown one pass. I hope Vandy hangs 60 on UConn.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Congrats to @FarmerTan and his Michigan State Spartans. I think they're for real!
LOL! The kiss of death!

Seriously, I think they have "buy in" with their coach, and that is huge in the B1G. Lots of upheaval in East Lansing for 3 or 4 seasons, probably most of which never hit the news.

But hope springs eternal in the state of Michigan for football while both Skools are undefeated in September!

As much as I bleed Green and White, I hope that U of M can do well, as I like Jim Harbaugh. THAT has been a trainwreck ever since the "big brother vs little brother" comment!

Owen Bawn

LOL! The kiss of death!

Seriously, I think they have "buy in" with their coach, and that is huge in the B1G. Lots of upheaval in East Lansing for 3 or 4 seasons, probably most of which never hit the news.

But hope springs eternal in the state of Michigan for football while both Skools are undefeated in September!

As much as I bleed Green and White, I hope that U of M can do well, as I like Jim Harbaugh. THAT has been a trainwreck ever since the "big brother vs little brother" comment!
He's got to beat the Buckeyes soon or he'll be out on his ear.

FarmerTan

He's got to beat the Buckeyes soon or he'll be out on his ear.
Tall order. But obviously achievable.
But I don't think it'll be this year. I honestly don't think MSU is ever going to be intimidated by UM again.

The SEC is just about the only conference that anyone who doesn't follow football thinks about. So all the best players want to go there. UM just is not good at developing the "leftovers" they get stuck with from the SEC and tOSU, like Dantonio was...

So, who loses first this season: UM or MSU?

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I was locked in to the first half of the Stanford Vanderbilt game, but the thing unraveled for Vandy in the last 4 minutes of the first half so I shaved and went to bed. Earlier in the day I switched back and forth between the BC Temple and the UConn Army games. BC might be 3-0, but I'm very concerned as they head to Mizzou and Clemson. UConn, on the other hand, might be the worst team in the past 20 years. Army had a 40 point lead at the half having only thrown one pass. I hope Vandy hangs 60 on UConn.

You're a good man @Owen Bawn

Obviously I watched all of Vandy/Stanford. Your summary is spot on. Dores hung tough for about 1 & 3/4 quarters then it started to unravel.

I caught bits & pieces of Alabama/Florida, Georgia/South Carolina, Auburn/Penn State, Clemson/Ga Tech, and Duke/Northwestern.

No major upsets as far as I could tell, with the exception of West Virginia beating Va Tech I suppose.

the jaw jaw bulldogs roll into Nashville next Saturday. Early line is they are favored by 31. Sounds about right to me. Your mileage with your local bookie may vary.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Well, an edit to my last post. I just checked and in those late night west coast games that are always past my bedtime it appears BYU over Az State and Fresno St over UCLA were upsets.

Owen Bawn

The new BC coach Jeff Hafley may turn out to be a great one, but when he talks he has the same phony tone as Jim Rome. He says the same crap Rome would say in the same way Rome would say it.

FarmerTan

See what I mean? Jim Rome.
He makes me look eloquent. Of course, I must be at least twice his age.

I actually saw Boston College play at Michigan State. I got a great picture of my little (at the time!) Nephew sitting on Mateen Cleaves' lap during the game. It was the same year (2000) I think that MSU won the National Championship in Basketball.

The guy that ended up drafted by the Lions, I forget his name, had a GREAT day for State, but ended up preferring Marijuana to multi million dollar contracts and washed out in Detroit. I also forget the name of the MSU receiver that ended up playing for the Giants? I think it was he that shot himself in the leg playing with a handgun after the Superbowl. Not his best move...

I sure hope Mel Tucker don't be puttin' up with would be gangstas on his teams. I've already given up on pro football for the most part (except I HAVE to root for Matthew Stafford) so I don't wanna have my Spartans kick me in the teeth!

On a related note: the lovely War Department has not budged on her stance of allowing me to put a mini fridge next to my Lazyarseboy!

Owen Bawn

So check out this column @Owen Bawn

This weekend Kelley's team had 13 possessions, 8 drives ended in TDs, 2 in turnovers/interceptions, and 3 ended on downs. No Punts and no FG's attempted. I believe their defense must have also scored as they had 68 points....

Somebody's going to hire this guy.....

Actually, I think they may have had several two point conversions, since I think he often goes for 2...so maybe not even a defensive score.....

OK just checked, looks like it was a combo of 2 point conversions and a couple of safeties by their defense. He also did elect to kick extra points instead of going for 2 after they had a big lead....
Presbyterian is playing right down the road from me at UDayton Saturday. If the weather is favorable I think I'll go to the game.

Top Bottom