What's new

College Football

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Little Holy Cross not only upset UConn yesterday, but Holy Cross' D-lineman Jason Modack's pick 6 at the 1.30 mark of the video was espn's #1 Play of the Day. UConn deserves everything terrible that ever happens to them. Remember when they practically demanded entry to the B1G 10? Or how then state AG (now US senator) Blumenthal tried to sue BC, Virginia Tech, and Miami for leaving the Big East? 0-12 is too good for them.

UConn will win at least one because they are scheduled to play Vandy the first Saturday in October. Along with the game you mention the Commodores were one of six (six!) FBS teams that lost to FCS teams over this opening weekend. That has to be a record.

ETSU 23, Vanderbilt 3
Montana 13, No. 20 Washington 7
Holy Cross 38, UConn, 28
UC Davis 19, Tulsa 17
South Dakota State 42, Colorado State 23
Eastern Washington 35, UNLV 33

I would say this is a sign of the emerging parity in college football, but when your team gets totally dominated on both sides of the line of scrimmage by a school that just restarted their football program a mere six years ago...it feels like...well....a massive, steaming pile of poo. I'm just thankful I didn't drive 300 miles this weekend to see it. Otherwise I've enjoyed an absolutely beautiful weather Labor Day weekend here in the mountains.

I'm thinking of becoming an App State fan.....

Little Holy Cross not only upset UConn yesterday, but Holy Cross' D-lineman Jason Modack's pick 6 at the 1.30 mark of the video was espn's #1 Play of the Day. UConn deserves everything terrible that ever happens to them. Remember when they practically demanded entry to the B1G 10? Or how then state AG (now US senator) Blumenthal tried to sue BC, Virginia Tech, and Miami for leaving the Big East? 0-12 is too good for them.

I saw where Boston Colleges old coach now at Colorado State got smoked this weekend.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
UConn will win at least one because they are scheduled to play Vandy the first Saturday in October. Along with the game you mention the Commodores were one of six (six!) FBS teams that lost to FCS teams over this opening weekend. That has to be a record.

ETSU 23, Vanderbilt 3
Montana 13, No. 20 Washington 7
Holy Cross 38, UConn, 28
UC Davis 19, Tulsa 17
South Dakota State 42, Colorado State 23
Eastern Washington 35, UNLV 33

I would say this is a sign of the emerging parity in college football, but when your team gets totally dominated on both sides of the line of scrimmage by a school that just restarted their football program a mere six years ago...it feels like...well....a massive, steaming pile of poo. I'm just thankful I didn't drive 300 miles this weekend to see it. Otherwise I've enjoyed an absolutely beautiful weather Labor Day weekend here in the mountains.

I'm thinking of becoming an App State fan.....
I can identify with your pain. I felt bad when I saw the Vandy score, but I loved seeing all the others.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Michigan had a great game against Western Michigan yesterday. Unfortunately, Ronnie Bell went out with an injury, and it looks like he's done for the season. But while he was in, he had a great game. Check out this unbelievable catch (which was called back on offensive pass interference, a rinky-dink call if I ever saw one):

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
So regarding the parity that I alluded to, besides the six FCS upsets of FBS teams I mentioned above here were some more upsets and/or near upsets for this weekend:

Northern Illinois over Georgia Tech
Cal-Davis over Tulsa
Fresno State with a near upset over Oregon
LaTech with a near upset of Miss. St.
Northern Iowa near miss vs top-10 Iowa State
Missouri State close vs Okie St.
South Alabama over Southern Miss
Nevada over California
Utah St. over Washington State
Tulane with a near upset of Oklahoma

@Owen Bawn I think it's no coincidence that Duke, Vandy, Northwestern, and Stanford all lost this weekend. Mid major non power 5 & FCS teams are closing the gap fast and the academic schools are going to be on the short end of it.

BTW I saw where Edsall went ahead and resigned at UConn, so who knows, maybe the 'Dores have a shot at that one. They get a shot at Colorado State this weekend, but with it being in Ft Collins chances are probably slim. One of my good friends is actually going, I keep telling him he should just visit New Belgium's brewery instead.

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Michigan had a great game against Western Michigan yesterday. Unfortunately, Ronnie Bell went out with an injury, and it looks like he's done for the season. But while he was in, he had a great game. Check out this unbelievable catch (which was called back on offensive pass interference, a rinky-dink call if I ever saw one):

Agree, that is an incredible catch and a lame penalty.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
So here's an interesting recent article on the evolution of football and the premium placed on speed that I'd thought you might enjoy @Owen Bawn as well as any other fans of Teddy Roosevelt's favorite sport that have been posting in this thread....

Regarding Kevin Kelley who is now just down the road from me at Presbyterian College, I remember hearing about him when he was a high school coach in Arkansas who never punted and being fascinated by his approach. So it looks like his team won their first game last week and they scored 84 points......

Owen Bawn

So here's an interesting recent article on the evolution of football and the premium placed on speed that I'd thought you might enjoy @Owen Bawn as well as any other fans of Teddy Roosevelt's favorite sport that have been posting in this thread....

Regarding Kevin Kelley who is now just down the road from me at Presbyterian College, I remember hearing about him when he was a high school coach in Arkansas who never punted and being fascinated by his approach. So it looks like his team won their first game last week and they scored 84 points......
I was amazed at the speed of that 360lb nose tackle for Tampa Bay last night. An interesting bit of college football trivia, speaking of Roosevelt... when he called in the college presidents to force them to deal with the game's endemic violence and save football from being prohibited, one recommendation was to expand the size of the field from the 120x50 yard configuration to 150x65, as in Canada. This recommendation was rejected because Harvard had just completed construction on their new stadium, and the larger playing surface just wouldn't fit. Otherwise, American football would probably be played on the same, larger field as one sees across Canada.

harvard stadium.jpg

Owen Bawn

Yeah man, that was huge. Congratulations.
Congrats to Vandy. I couldn't stay awake till the end but I just checked the score. Stanford smashed USC, so they're not going to be easy next week... and then you've got Georgia... so savor last night's victory as long as you can. Luckily after Georgia you've got UConn. I know you said last week that UConn would beat Vandy, but I'm not so sure. They've yet to score a point against a BCS level opponent this year.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Well, we all know now that bringing in Sarkisian was not going to turn Texas into a powerhouse overnight. Lots and lots to work on.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Congrats to Vandy. I couldn't stay awake till the end but I just checked the score. Stanford smashed USC, so they're not going to be easy next week... and then you've got Georgia... so savor last night's victory as long as you can. Luckily after Georgia you've got UConn. I know you said last week that UConn would beat Vandy, but I'm not so sure. They've yet to score a point against a BCS level opponent this year.
Did you notice the MSU Spartans won? Granted, not an extremely tough opponent, but it was good to hear that lots of underclassmen got to play!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy

Who was it who said "The harder I work, the luckier I get"? - I've heard it attributed to Jefferson, not sure if that's correct. Since we've been mentioning Teddy Roosevelt, I'll just say the credit belongs to the "Man (or men) in the arena"

Owen Bawn

The University of Cincinnati, the Bearcats, are now part of the Big 12.
Not sure the Big 12 is a great fit for UC, but I can't blame them for making this move because it's every man for himself right now as the NCAA implodes. I will say this-- UC's Nippert Stadium is one of the greatest venues in college football. It's an old one. I love how it's literally tucked in between academic buildings. On weekdays the stadium's aisles and concourse are regular routes taken by hundreds of students as they go from class to class. And UC also has Dan Hoard, perhaps the best radio play by play man in college football. And they've got a really good team this year. Fickell is a terrific coach.

Last edited:
Not sure the Big 12 is a great fit for UC, but I can't blame them for making this move because it's every man for himself right now as the NCAA implodes. I will say this-- UC's Nippert Stadium is one of the greatest venues in college football. It's an old one. I love how it's literally tucked in between academic buildings. On weekdays the stadium's aisles and concourse are regular routes taken by hundreds of students as they go from class to class. And UC also has Dan Hoard, perhaps the best radio play by play man in college football. And they've got a really good team this year. Fickell is a terrific coach.
I have been to the stadium and loved the look also. Yea, Owen it's every conference for themselves. Everyone wants a chair when the music stops playing.

Top Bottom