What's new

Collection of razors - seeking advice

Hey everyone!

I have a small collection of straight razors that I have collected over the years and am going to use as a display. Was going to try a straight razor shave and was wondering if any of these were worth restoring to use or get professionally honed. Also any information on these blades would be welcome. For anyone interested, the collection has cost me around AUD150 over 5years so if they are not quite in good shape I'm more than happy to just have a display in the bathroom.

Pic 1: Wade and Butcher
IMG20190328203544.jpg

Pic 2: Bourgade Tarri, Thiers France
IMG20190328203628.jpg

Pic 3: HODON (bit rusted but blade is sharp)
IMG20190328203652.jpg

Pic 4: Bengall
IMG20190328203711.jpg

Pic 5: Geo. Wostenholm & Sons Original Pipe Razor
IMG20190328203731.jpg

Pic 6: Joseph Allen & Sons - NON XLL
IMG20190328203801.jpg

Pic 7: Gong Razor - Extra Hollow Ground
IMG20190328203845.jpg

Pic 8: Willhelm Weber, Hamburg, Goldene Medaillf
IMG20190328210523.jpg

Pic 9+ 10: Display and a few other Thiers France razors
IMG20190328204006.jpg
IMG20190328204433.jpg

I would discard that modoso. The celluloid is outgassing and that is why it is so rotten. If you put it in a case with the others, it will attack the rest.

The Wade and Butcher, Bengall and the frenchie should clean up nicely! I’d say any of those would be nice shavers. Many of the others can be saved too, but they will need a little bit more work. Good luck and I hope you do decide to use them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would discard that modoso. The celluloid is outgassing and that is why it is so rotten. If you put it in a case with the others, it will attack the rest.
Very true if it is celluloid indeed. However, the covered tang could be an indication that the scales are tortoise. It might be worth checking into it before throwing them away. Even if it is just a long shot.

The Wade and Butcher, Bengall and the frenchie should clean up nicely! I’d say any of those would be nice shavers. Many of the others can be saved too, but they will need a little bit more work. Good luck and I hope you do decide to use them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, the Wade and Butcher is my second favourite so I am glad to hear that!

Pics don't always give you a real sense of things. Some of the blades are in reasonable shape and can be rescued. I have a Bengall that was in similar shape and it now one of my favorite shavers. It's the blade in my profile pic.

Good luck and share your progress.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Get some of this.

proxy.php

Put a little bit (a tablespoon or less) in your palm. Add a bit of water to make a paste. Rub with your fingers and the paste on the razor steel, very briefly, just a few seconds. This will clean the razors to a remarkable degree. Rinse well and dry with toilet paper (including between the scales). Dry very well.

Next...

Flitz.jpg

Flitz and a microfiber rag. Polish by hand.

It won't be long before you have a much better idea what you're dealing with.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Get some of this.

proxy.php

Put a little bit (a tablespoon or less) in your palm. Add a bit of water to make a paste. Rub with your fingers and the paste on the razor steel, very briefly, just a few seconds. This will clean the razors to a remarkable degree. Rinse well and dry with toilet paper (including between the scales). Dry very well.

Next...

View attachment 967582

Flitz and a microfiber rag. Polish by hand.

It won't be long before you have a much better idea what you're dealing with.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks Jim, however i have access to a jewelry makers rotary tool and assortments of buff wheels and compounds which has worked great to clean a few already. Ill post some photos a bit later when i get a chance!

Got busy this morning and cleaned some razors. I used the KROPP and modoso as testers since they were in poor shape. I didnt completely revive the razors since felel better about leaving some of the patina on but they are wonderfully clean (other than a little bit of red polising rouge - need a microfiber rag)
IMG20190330143730.jpg
IMG20190330143755.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As an experiment try BKF now to see what else it will remove. I think you'll be surprised.

Very handy though to have access to the really good tools and compounds. I have an assortment myself (just for my Dremel), but mostly find that BKF, Flitz, and elbow grease do the job surprisingly well. I was introduced to using BKF on blades by Mike @Esox who correctly advised me to use it for only a few seconds. It's basically magic right out of Harry Potter.

I think you have some nice blades there, sir.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Okay. Disregard my previous statement about patina I want shiny things! Have gone back through a few.

I tried some BKF but it made minimal impact even when used with 0000 steel wool. The rotary tool achieves much better results and only takes 20-30mins per razor starting at 400 grit up to a few thousands with compounds and different mounted mops.
IMG20190401173302.jpg
IMG20190331095545.jpg

Top Bottom