What's new

Collecting and Regret

I've had a few collections in my life, several of which I regret and wish I hadn't let them go so easily. Two I can chalk up to youth as they happened during my high school teenage years. I had a decent comic book collection. I decided that it wasn't seemly for a man of my age (14 at the time) to still be collecting comics. So I sold off the collection. I let my Silver Surfer #1 go for $25, a profit to be sure, but nothing like its value today. I did keep my Classics Illustrated.

Another collection was 80 some paperback Doc Savage novels. I loved those but loaned them to a friend who later moved and took them with. I keep wondering if I'll ever run into one since I wrote my name in just about every single one.

Finally, my grandpa left me 2 pipes and his pipe lighter when he passed. I was smoking cigarettes already and decided to give the pipe a try. I smoked for more than a twenty years and increased the collection considerably. As smoking became less acceptable and price of tobacco continued to skyrocket, I gave up the habit and gave the collection to a friend who was on hard times and still smoked. There were a couple of pipes I should have kept (my grandpa's and then one that was made for me) but I did not.

So, I know there are threads about those who regret giving away a part of their collection, is there anyone who regrets giving away an entire one?

To be more clear, I do not regret moving on from something that I become mildly obsessed with. To be fair, I do often become mildly obsessed with many things (wet shaving, soaps, DE razors, word working, antique furniture, antique tools, SE razors, straight razors, watch making and repair, small engine building, many more things and currently leatherworking). I consume. I recognize that while I may have had a thing or two that had I held on to, would have appreciated in value, the overwhelming majority would have not. Outside of that, if I have moved on, the items I accumulated mean nothing to me.

I go through phases with my "enthusiasms" . . .

I have some very nice hand tools for woodcarving that have either never been used, or only gently, as I only ever crafted myself ONE walking stick with them. Straight razors were another, until a shoulder issue sent me back to DE shaving. Most of the more valuable of those were sold off, but I still have a couple or three for posterity. I bought baseball cards for a few years by the boxful (complete series, Topps only). This was mid-80s and, naturally, the market fell out when multiple manufacturers flooded the space with all manner of things trying to cash in. I managed to sell one set for enough to turn a small profit on all my purchases (Thank God for Griffey, Canseco and McGuire rookie cards).

The only regret I have is hockey cards. I collected the O-Pee-Chee cards when they were the only one selling them (in Canada, anyway). Every year, I would buy sufficient packs to make up the complete set, which I kept pristine, while using my "doubles" to trade for needed cards, or play the various games that were created (Tops, Bouncebacks, Farsies). Once I hit double digits in the age category, comic books sort of took over. I'm guessing my Mom threw the collection away after a few years of neglect on my part. Never occurred to me to be upset, but oh man . . . hockey fans will know what Hall of Famers there were from about 1970 - 1975, and the Rookie cards that would have been available to cash in on.

***SIGH***

Gosh, I had a pile of Magic the Garhering cards when I was in middle school. I got rid of them because it wasn’t cool being into fantasy stuff. Today, those cards could put a hefty down payment on a home.

Yes . . . she pointed out one in a store once, about three years ago. Labeled price was $900.00CAD . . . she leans close and whispers, "I had one of those." We went around looking and figured the retail value of what she had amassed would have purchased a decent used car. Easily closing in on $10k. Who knew?

While not a collection there are a couple pre-lock Smith and Wesson revolvers I sold long ago I sort of wish I still had; one in particular. Not because of any monetary value they might have more from a, "they don't make 'em like that any more" sort of way. I console myself with thoughts that someone, somewhere, is actively getting more enjoyment out of them than I would be.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have (had?) about 100 autographed photos of men who played for the Boston and Milwaukee Braves between 1910 and 1965. Most were guys you've never heard of, but that's why I liked them. I think they're in milk crates in my in laws' attic in Massachusetts. They were in the attic of their old house but last spring they downsized to a smaller house, and I haven't been out there.

I've let go of book collections, probably 4000 books in all, and I sometimes regret that I never had enough space for them all. But I'm retired and not moving, so I'm keeping my last collection, 500 books on Roman church architecture and art. I still add to the collection, and it gives me great pleasure.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've let go of book collections, probably 4000 books in all, and I sometimes regret that I never had enough space for them all. But I'm retired and not moving, so I'm keeping my last collection, 500 books on Roman church architecture and art. I still add to the collection, and it gives me great pleasure.
Are you an architectural historian?

When I was in 5th grade I managed to assemble a complete set of X-men cards, and as a dumb kid, I left them in my cubby hole and they got picked over by another kid in my class, leaving me with not much to show for my effort.

In my adult phases of collecting, it’s primarily been firearms. There are always guns you wish you hadn’t sold, but thus far, I can’t say I regret selling more than maybe two. But to be honest I have bought more and not followed through on trading or selling another gun that I had intended to.

I had at least a half dozen of those when I was a kid. I’m sure at least one ended up in the spokes of my bike’s tires or thrown against a wall in the snow. Or traded for a couple of worthless cards to complete a full set.

The card isn‘t really rare at all. Just rare in pristine mint collection.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I had at least a half dozen of those when I was a kid. I’m sure at least one ended up in the spokes of my bike’s tires or thrown against a wall in the snow. Or traded for a couple of worthless cards to complete a full set.

The card isn‘t really rare at all. Just rare in pristine mint collection.

Same with all the others from that era ... and you identify the reason: kids used them rather than "collected" them in the modern "keep it mint at all cost" sense of the word.

Circa 1977, Star Wars toys were taken out of their packaging and played with until they fell apart ... 99.99% of the time. Nowadays, 95% at least never leave their packaging or the attic in which they are stored ... a "mint in box" toy from 1977 is thus very rare and valuable ... unlike the "dime a dozen" mint toys nowadays.

Top Bottom