What's new

Collard Cuisine

I always called it "poke salad", which is what I thought I was hearing when I was a small child. I looked it up once, and the actual term is "poke salat". I never liked it.

Tim

I actually never heard it referred to as "poke salad," "polk salat," etc. by anyone when I was growing up. Just "poke," or "polk." Note the 1969 song "Polk Salad Annie" spelled it that way.

Pretty mild stuff. What is not to like? All it is is young Poke Weed or Inkberry Bush. Poisonous if not handled properly. A bit like fiddleheads, as I recall. You do not want to be eating any mature plants!

Anyone have "wilted lettuce" as a part of Southern food growing up? We ate wilted lettuce all the time in certain seasons. (A hot bacon fat, vinegar, and sweetner, poured over fresh spring leaf lettuce.) I did not realize until years later that that is apparently a very mountains of NC. W Va, Va, etc. dish.

Wilted lettuce is a staple here where I live as well. I have eaten it all my life as well as Creasy Greens and Ramps. All Appalachian delicacies that most folk have never heard of.

Wilted lettuce is a staple here where I live as well. I have eaten it all my life as well as Creasy Greens and Ramps. All Appalachian delicacies that most folk have never heard of.

Thanks coming in. I have not heard of Creasy Greens. What are they? Ramps I have not heard of since visting family in NC 50 years agos. I do not think I have every had a ramp. Something of a legendary item.

As I recall, wilted lettuce is also a high French dish. Fits for me. I would consider it a real delicacy. Requires pristinely fresh lettuce and must be eaten immediately. Really brings out the essence of the lettuce. A long darn way from long cooked beans and greens, too.

Be interesting as to how it became an Appalachian staple, but seems to be relatively unknown in most of the country.

Thanks coming in. I have not heard of Creasy Greens. What are they? Ramps I have not heard of since visting family in NC 50 years agos. I do not think I have every had a ramp. Something of a legendary item.

As I recall, wilted lettuce is also a high French dish. Fits for me. I would consider it a real delicacy. Requires pristinely fresh lettuce and must be eaten immediately. Really brings out the essence of the lettuce. A long darn way from long cooked beans and greens, too.

Be interesting as to how it became an Appalachian staple, but seems to be relatively unknown in most of the country.

Yes I think it would be interesting to see how wilted lettuce became an Appalachian staple. It probably was born out of necessity. Like Creasy Greens, they are harvested first in early spring and as far as I know, as wonderful as they taste, they are not commercially grown anywhere. Tennessee is where the creasy greens really flourish. As far as Ramps are concerned they are like a wild leek and they are so loved in the mountains that each year there are Ramp Festivals everywhere.

Yes I think it would be interesting to see how wilted lettuce became an Appalachian staple. It probably was born out of necessity. Like Creasy Greens, they are harvested first in early spring and as far as I know, as wonderful as they taste, they are not commercially grown anywhere. Tennessee is where the creasy greens really flourish. As far as Ramps are concerned they are like a wild leek and they are so loved in the mountains that each year there are Ramp Festivals everywhere.

I just googled "wilted lettuce." Seems to show up as mostly Applachian, but the Pennsylvania Dutch and even New England seem to lay a claim to it. Although New England seems to lump it it with wilted spinach, which I never ate growing up and I do not think my Mother would have thought of doing.

Creasy green sound great. Those would be ramps, alright.

As far as Ramps are concerned they are like a wild leek and they are so loved in the mountains that each year there are Ramp Festivals everywhere.

I first encountered ramps (which I like!) on a fishing trip in West Virginia. The results were a gastronomic delight with after effects that were... very noticeable. Let me put it this way. The other guys on the fishing trip insisted that I immediately put on my waders after a lunch of venison chili with some freshly chopped ramps that we found near the road. They found out real quick that it was not safe to be downwind of me.

The skunks were envious of my capabilities.

My father retired to the hills of WV and introduced me to ramps. good stuff!
Also, on the greens topic, I've recently discovered Swiss Chard. I like the Chard just sauteed/wilted in some olive oil and water, salt and pepper. vinegar would be good or maybe tabasco.

I first (and last) ate ramps at a meal before a gig (harmonica) in West Virginia. That was in '03 or '04, and even a skilled team of exorcists, voodoo witch doctors, and disaster cleanup experts can't get that ramp demon out of my harp case.

Yes I think it would be interesting to see how wilted lettuce became an Appalachian staple. It probably was born out of necessity.

It probably came from the French fur trappers moving into the mountains hunting beaver pelts. When new cuisine is introduced to an area, and it's delicious, it sticks.

Top Bottom