What's new

Coleman Fuel AKA white gas ?

Living in the Canadian Prairies I always carry winter survival supplies in the car, Just last week we had a major storm closing most of the highways around us. One item I always carry is a Coleman lamp and a can of fuel. I have only been stranded once and that is nearing forty years but something I would rather not go though again.

Anyway my question, what is the shelf life of Coleman fuel? I realize that I haven't fire the lamp up in years, the fuel is at least 10 years old.

Probably not good. If you can swing it, you can buy a dual fuel lantern that can burn gasoline as well as the white gas.

I just used up a can that was purchased in 1977. I always carried a spare 'fresh' can just in case, but never needed it.

I just used up a can that was purchased in 1977. I always carried a spare 'fresh' can just in case, but never needed it.
I guess my fuel is still rather new then :).

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I will try this stuff out in the summer at the cabin when it is a non emergency situation. For the Vehicles they will each have a fresh can.

I am an old "white-gas" Coleman user from way back. I gradually moved over to propane and skipped the "dual-fuel" models. The reason why was because they last forever! The stuff I had was from the late 70's early 80's and used it up until 3 years ago. The fuel is expensive but lasts quite a long time. In fact I still have a 1/4 can someplace, it's gotta be old, but I think it works fine. I spilled quite a bit filling them up with the funnel and found that to be annoying. Overall propane is more expensive but easier to use. They make great stuff. I kept a vintage lantern from the 60's that I still use on occasion.

No idea how long it lasts but over here in the UK, quite a few Coleman white gas users use something called Panel Wipe instead. Same thing, much, much cheaper!

It is used in car spraying shops to clean off the bare metal panels before spraying. I have bought the odd gallon from auto paint suppliers. Good stuff!

Gareth

I used some White Gas from the 1960's we found in a cabnet in a old cabin it worked great to start a camp fire.

Top Bottom