What's new

Coldest shave

I just got my first Stirling glacial (Lemon Chill) yesterday and used it this morning. The scent was really nice--I was worried it would smell like a household cleaner or Arko--but it smells like fresh lemons and the menthol scent isn't really noticeable. The shave was typical Stirling (so excellent) and the menthol, although plentiful, wasn't overbearing or burning to my eyes. So great first impression.

Here's how it turned into my coldest shave, though. I used cold water to amplify the menthol sensation. After the cold rinse, I finished off with a splash of Osage Rub. Then, just to make sure I had total face freeze, I rode my motorcycle to work with 46 degree temps. It was awesome and I'll totally do it again.

Anyone else like a really cold shave?

friend and I here in Utah back in January did a face freeze by using menthol preshave, followed by glacial obisidian with ice cube water and the ended with floid vigoroso. we did this around 8 pm mid January and we then went outside and down to local burger shop and ate some burgers and tots in the cold. I especially like face freezes in the summer after I am done with yard work in the heat

I just got my first Stirling glacial (Lemon Chill) yesterday and used it this morning. The scent was really nice--I was worried it would smell like a household cleaner or Arko--but it smells like fresh lemons and the menthol scent isn't really noticeable. The shave was typical Stirling (so excellent) and the menthol, although plentiful, wasn't overbearing or burning to my eyes. So great first impression.

Here's how it turned into my coldest shave, though. I used cold water to amplify the menthol sensation. After the cold rinse, I finished off with a splash of Osage Rub. Then, just to make sure I had total face freeze, I rode my motorcycle to work with 46 degree temps. It was awesome and I'll totally do it again.

Anyone else like a really cold shave?
If you try
Chiseled Face Cryogen
you can take the madness to another level !!!

I love a good face freeze in the dog days of Summer. I usually go with a Stirling glacial and finish it off with Cryogen splash.

I like a good face freeze year around when the mood strikes me. I'll add 2-3 drops of peppermint oil to the lather of choice and then rinse the razor under cold water so the metal is cold with each rinse. Then I'll rinse my face with cold water between passes and end the shave with a liberal splash of Osage Rub.

Barrister & Mann's Arctique is the most intense menthol that I have ever experienced in a shave soap. I actually enjoyed using Cryogen, but I had to move along from Arctique after trying it twice. WAY too cold for my mug! Arctique isn't made anymore, but I do see it from time-to-time on the B/S/T and fleaBay.

Keep a scuttle in the fridge, then use the chill soap of your choice. I'm a fan of Sterling's Orange Chill and Margarita in the Arctic.

Yes.. we are getting into menthol season.. so nice as the weather heats up.

A plus one for the perennial summertime choice of Proraso Green.. nice and cooling plus that invigorating scent. Bring on the heat, JM

I have and still enjoy B&M Arctique. Here's my face freeze recipe:

HOT shower
2min cold rinse
Lather with Arctique
Shave (three pass)
Witch hazel
Fine Snake Bite aftershave
Arctique aftershave balm

Optional: cold January day on the slopes

Yes.. we are getting into menthol season.. so nice as the weather heats up.

A plus one for the perennial summertime choice of Proraso Green.. nice and cooling plus that invigorating scent. Bring on the heat, JM

Proraso green is a good level of menthol for me. TOBS Peppermint and Stirling Iced Pineapple are two I have that provide a nice cool as well. I think they're just on the right side of too cold for me though, so trying something face freezing like Cryogen has never sounded appealing.

Top Bottom