What's new

cold weather effect?

I agree with almost everything posted here. I’m not a big preshave proponent but when it’s cold and dry i think it makes a difference. And moisturizing with something after is a good idea.

It is quite cold here in the Chicago area as well and has been for the past three weeks. I am thankful that my den is well stocked with high end shave soaps that have keep my skin moisturized for many hours after the shave. The very best last for a full 24 hours. I used to apply shave balm when the temperatures dropped below 10 degrees F, but I have not had to do that this year using some of the new additions to my den. The shave soaps provide sufficient protection.
All of the above, and you could shave the night before, as this gives your face a chance to rehydrate itself. I use my after shave gel, with a little dab of hand cream mixed in for the really cold days. Keeps my face feeling soft all day, since my job keeps me outside for about half my day. 1 pass shave on the cold days is good enough for my job...

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I live in Austin now. We get very little truly cold weather, but the drying effects of forced air HVAC take their toll. I grew up in the northeast. There were pans of water on top of the radiators and we never seemed to dry out badly. Also, I have no memories of having to drip faucets in the northeast, but here we drip them for a night in the mid-20s!

As for shaving in dry weather, my little BK4 holds plenty for three passes or more, but I add just a tiny bit of hot water between each pass. Nothing else changes. My post shave hot showers are short, and I use Cremo blue cedar and cypress body wash. No hair dryer, just towel a bit, comb, brush, and let it dry on its own.

I have been suffering dry skin and horrible shaves for the last 3 winters.

This year, I gave up lotions, gels and oils and replaced them with my home brew serum consisting of hyalyronic acid, panthenol and allantoin.

I apply 3 drops morning and 6 drops at night on a wet face.

Man, this thing has resolved my issue even in the most extreme dry winter conditions with high wind chill, which really takes a toll on the skin.

No skin dryness, no shaving irritation and a return to awesomely close shaves!

I also want to mention that it doesn't make any different at all whether I use a basic soap or one full of butters/oils. Soap by default is drying to the skin so when the skin is already dry, even the top tier soaps add nothing towards skin conditioning/moisturising.

We've had a pretty hardy cold spell here in the Chicago area as of late. I either shave at night before bed, or if I shave in the morning, 1 pass. I normally use Gillette AS gel, but with this cold air, I add 3-4 drops of suntan oil that has coconut oil as the main ingredient, to my AS. Work it together in my hands, I put it all over my face, neck area, and work into my hands what is left over. Face feels good, soft, and my hands are not dry, and finger tips aren't splitting. Works pretty well...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Super light feeling oil free moisturizer that contains hyaluronic acid. The main ingredient after H2O is dimethicone. Dimethicone creates a smooth barrier on the skin that locks in moisture. I finally bought some the other night and it really is worth it. I'm in MN so believe me I feel you!
I'll quit complaining about Michigan. Minnesota might as well be in Kanadia my friend!

Top Bottom