What's new

cold weather effect?

We've had some really cold weather this past week in the northeast. My skin tends to get very dry during this time of year. Subsequently, my shaves over the last week or so have not been as smooth. I've had more irritation. My razor hasn't moved as smoothly over some of the more difficult parts of my neck. I've had more nicks. Is this just me or is this a real issue during cold weather for anyone else? I don't use pre-shave products but maybe that would help?

Cold=Dry=Mummification.
Winter is very dry so regular moisturizing is recommended. In the winter I tend to break out the balms and moisturizing products I don’t use in the summer. I also keep the humidifier running full time. I actually watched a dresser fall apart before my very eyes. The lack of humidity dried out all the glue joints and literally every single piece disassembled itself. I reglued my dresser, but now I am much more aware that my furniture needs the humidity as much as my skin.

The cold and dryness shouldn't affect the quality of your actual shave (knicks, cuts, irritation).

The only thing I do differently in winter vs summer, is use a quality ASB instead of a splash

Using Nivea "Replenishing Post-Shave Balm" (the one with the alcohol) plus Hyaluronic Acid seems to be a good winter defence here, so far.

If dry-skinned, you might be better off with the alcohol-free "Nivea Sensitive Moisturiser" which, as far as I can work out, is almost identical to the "Nivea Sensitive Post-Shave Balm", but twice as concentrated.

The HA ought to help the dryness problem, but it won't do it overnight. I think it takes at least a week to feel the benefit.

It's not just you. Low humidity this time of year means the skin loses more moisture. It will be worse for people who are older or people with naturally dry skin. Pre-shave might help, that depends on the product. For aftershave, a balm can help if you have dry skin.

Cold weather effect definitely is a thing. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. If you have the option go to a less aggressive razor setting try that. I normally use a Karve CB with a B plate daily. I recently bought an A plate. It helps a bunch. I my have to do a few more touch ups but it is saving my dry skin.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Lather dries out faster, so refresh as necessary or use some $$$$$ premium artisan stuff if wetting the brush a few more times in unacceptable. Dry lather is unacceptable for a good shave, so dip a brush, use a sprayer, or get a soap too fancy and expensive to comprehend.

We've had some really cold weather this past week in the northeast. My skin tends to get very dry during this time of year. Subsequently, my shaves over the last week or so have not been as smooth. I've had more irritation. My razor hasn't moved as smoothly over some of the more difficult parts of my neck. I've had more nicks. Is this just me or is this a real issue during cold weather for anyone else? I don't use pre-shave products but maybe that would help?

I believe this to be a consequence of the low humidity air inside our heated living quarters.

To compensate for the drier than usual skin, I use the same pre-shave routine with wet sponge and (optional) soap as always. Pre-shave products are IMO not needed.

When done before brushing my teeth, it gives my skin time to soak up some moisture and slightly swell.
Of course, shaving after a shower has the same effect.

You may also notice this dry skin effect when you had quite a few drinks the night before.
Alcohol dehydrates and causes a drier than normal skin the morning after.

B

This might seem silly, but you might see a difference with a cold water shave. It's natural to want warm water on your face on cold mornings, but if the skin is very dry, you need a warm shower to really open up the pores first before shaving. If you don't, a cold water shave will keep your skin tight enough to not really have any pronounced bumps against your razor and you might end up with a really smooth shave even though the experience itself is a bit unpleasant due to the cold. I myself do not do it during winter unless I've nicked or cut my face the previous day.

Moisturize moisturize moisturize

A pea size dab of lotion on your face, a few times a day, will go a long ways. A moisturizer if sunscreen will go further.

Hyaluronic acid is a humectant in most moisturizers. It doesn’t do anything that glycerin or sorbitol won’t. They are the part of moisturizers that draw moisture into the skin. The part I would focus on is the occlusive. That’ll be petrolatum, mineral oil, dimethicone, etc. that’s what will determine how much residue is left on your skin.

If you look at online reviews for moisturizers, they mostly get positive reviews, because they all work.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
One of the big problem areas is soap. Doesn't matter how slick it is, soap dries the skin. Brushing -- love my boar! -- causes more irritation, blades take off more than just hair, then we rinse off and towel. All things that cause irritation.

I recently had a conversation with a doctor about this. The recommendations were:

1. Avoid hot washing. Lukewarm or cold water won't strip as many skin oils.
2. Avoid excessive soap. A little dab'll do ya to clean your hands.
3. Avoid scrubbing with washcloths or brushes.
4. Avoid vigorous towelling. Pat, don't rub.
5. Only wash what needs washing. Most of your body needs those oils; your hands don't need the dirt.
6. Avoid long showers, easy if you're only washing what needs it right now.
7. Avoid things that irritate the skin, like, well...blade shaving. Maybe a reduced schedule if that leads to less irritation, or using a balm like Nivea Sensitive.

Good time for a winter beard. Also a good time to explore oils instead of soaps for shaving lubricant.

Specific recommendations from the doctor for skin care are to use "creams" instead of "lotions" as lotions tend to have more water and less of the ingredients you need. Look for creams with either urea or lactic acid, or both. Both of these break down the proteins in dry dead skin and make it "release" as they say -- which means you'll have flakes of dead skin falling off. But hey, we're gettin' older and comfort is more important than dignity sometimes.

O.H.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
We've had some really cold weather this past week in the northeast. My skin tends to get very dry during this time of year. Subsequently, my shaves over the last week or so have not been as smooth. I've had more irritation.
You are correct cold weather changes your condition of your skin, drying it more and pre & post shave products are important IMO.
This is my routine for great shaves year round. I suffer from dry eye during allergy season and a lot of smoke from forest fires in Northern Alberta Canada and in the winter we just can get very severe cold snaps(-40 F recently) so I lucked out trying different things over the years to clean my skin around my eyes from acidic dirty oily skin from forest fire smoke & dry skin from the cold.
Best thing I found to use for Pre shave is CeraVe hydrating cleanser bar with a dedicated Yaqi cashmere 24mm brush with a 5-10 second load and just wash whole face with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area. Now that is a nice feeling & better than the hot towel method of warming and hydrating the face. Most folks wash their face anyways and might as well spoil your self a little. The soap last a very long time I have found and really has some good ingredients the skin likes and gentle on the eye area with seldom eye stinging.
Post shave I like to use CeraVe moisturizing lotion(balm)+ scentless with 3 ceramides & Hyaluronic acid and that is the last lotion applied when done shaving and it feels good for the rest of the day. Really nice lotion and is readily available at most drug stores.
Shave this morning, have been using this procedure for years and it works for myself.

SOTD, Thurs, Jan 20th 2022
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion + scentless.
Results: CCS, DFS, BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my Yaqi Tile SS razor with a Gillette Astra SP.
SOTD Jan 20, 2022.jpg
Z-CeraVe shave products .jpg

Have some great shaves!

It is quite cold here in the Chicago area as well and has been for the past three weeks. I am thankful that my den is well stocked with high end shave soaps that have keep my skin moisturized for many hours after the shave. The very best last for a full 24 hours. I used to apply shave balm when the temperatures dropped below 10 degrees F, but I have not had to do that this year using some of the new additions to my den. The shave soaps provide sufficient protection.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Here in Okieland, we can get really cold and dry winters from drought with no moisture in the air whatsoever.

Even the lather on the face will dry out right before your eyes as you are shaving at the sink the air is so dry.

When it’s like that, the best moisturizing and hydrating shave one can get, is to simply shave in the shower.

I find 10 minutes of showering and washing in a hot steamy environment rehydrates nicely and the lather in the shower stays moist during the shave.

I usually switch my soap to Haslinger Schafmilch with the hopes that it containing lanolin and Sheep’s milk will also help in conditioning my skin further.

I still will splash on an alcohol based aftershave, but If it’s cold dry and windy where going outside can chap your lips in seconds, I will follow up with my wife’s Gold Bond face & body lotion which has hyaluronic acid.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I use Nivea for cold dry days. Works fine.

Top Bottom