What's new

Cold water shaving

I've shaven with cold water many times during my enlisted days and later on when camping. And a few times here and there when the multiple women in my house use up all the hot water. My issue has always been cold water shaving is a "have to" thing which makes it very hard to transition to a "want to".

I only use cold water to shave from start to finish; soak the brush, rinse the razor, rinse my face and use it as an astringent. I found that using warmer, to hot, water caused too many nicks and made my skin more prone to cuts and irritation. Cold water seemed to have fixed all of this for me. I have found that I really enjoy the feeling and sensation of using cold water in the morning.

Google “ Arrector Pili “ ,
find out what it is and what it
actually does ,how does this relate to cold water shaving and
you may discover another good reason to use cold water for shaving ,especially those of you
with flat growing stubble ,like myself .

Just my 2 cents .

I prefer cold water shave, even in winter season, although I use warm water to soak and rinse my boar brush.

Reasons for me :

> It feels good
> I don't have to suffer unnecessary irritation
> My whiskers actually gets mowed easily and skin is less damaged after daily shaves.

I thought about trying the warm water shave during the winter, but I was enjoying the shave routine too much to mess with it, and now I'm just not interested to change too many variables.

I tried warm water shaves this Monsoon (rainy season), but my oh my, I had to take a break from shaving for a week after regular shaving related irritation.

Some people enjoy warm water shave, they must be getting good results, I'm not one of them.

I think our average weather conditions also come into play, especially in winters.
Like our winters are average 10° C to 24° C and our cold is nothing as compared to the snowfall type cold areas, so, people who live in very cold regions may not enjoy cold water shave as much.

Google “ Arrector Pili “ ,
find out what it is and what it
actually does ,how does this relate to cold water shaving and
you may discover another good reason to use cold water for shaving ,especially those of you
with flat growing stubble ,like myself .

Just my 2 cents .
Very interesting concept. I too have flat stubble. Huge thanks for the info. Almost like “goose bumps”.

Cold water Is inferior to my wire Roughbeard. I use hot water then cold after shaving. I exclusively straight razor shave, so that might be the other reason it doesn’t work for me. If I ever use the safety razor it might be different. But I get really bad irritations with a safety razor.

Soaked a vintage Ever-Ready Badger-Boar brush, lathered and wet my face with cold water this morning and rinsed my Gillette E1 Fatboy in cold water. Matched with a vintage 1969 carbon Gillette Thin Blade and Barrister and Mann Sandalwood, the result was a smooth, comfortable irritation free shave topped off with a Pinaud Clubman splash and Nivia balm. I've had closer shaves, but I'm going to chalk that up to the 3-4 shaves on the vintage carbon blade, so I'll try a cold water shave on Monday (3 days between shaves vs 2) with Proraso Green pre/shave soap, GEM PTFE blade in a 1907ish Ever-Ready Lather Catcher for comparison.

DE shaving is my spa like experience 3x a week. Cold water isn't part of the spa like experience for me in the autumn, winter, spring months. Summer I indulge in a cool water rinse which is refreshing during the hotter season.

The wife wanted a dog. I didn’t want a dog. So we compromised - we got a dog. I’m retired. Home all day. Alone with the dog. The dog is hyperactive and did I mention I’m home alone with it all day long? The dog that has cost me over $3K so far gets up at least four times a night. It’s cold in Ohio outside without much clothing on at 3:00 am.

Taking a hot shower and shaving with hot water is just about the only thing getting me through right now, other than dinner and the occasional beer or Scotch. I couldn’t imagine shaving with cold water at this time of year, even if it were superior. Maybe in the summer when it’s hot outside and the dog isn’t a puppy anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom