What's new

Cold Water Shaving

I've heard that there are many benefits when it comes to cold water shaving. I really want to give it a try, although I am apprehensive. The cold water is supposed to somehow make the razor cut the hair more cleanly, and help the skin be more resistant to irritation. Anyone ever try this?

I enjoy cold water shaving very much. I switched from warm water in Spring, and I plan to stay with cold. I find less irritation, and smoother shaves since the change. Try it, you can decide for yourself. :)

I enjoy cold water shaving very much. I switched from warm water in Spring, and I plan to stay with cold. I find less irritation, and smoother shaves since the change. Try it, you can decide for yourself. :)

Just out of sheer curiosity, I have to give this method a try!

For more information look at this thread. Since I am in AZ right now I had been cold water shaving for two weeks now. Quite honestly, I get equally good shaves whether they be warm or cold water shaving. It's just that it's more pleasant in the hotter weather.

I think you'd find it hard to make a scientific case for the outcome being better or worse. But what's sure is that it's extremely refreshing in the hot weather, and has no obvious drawback from a "shaving performance" perspective.

Had my first cool water shave yesterday as the campground only had a cold water tap, it was quite refreshing. I don't think I would want to do it in winter.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
A side benefit of cold water shaving shows up if you have hard water. Hot water has more dissolved solids than cold thus more residue when your razor, brush etc. dries. Cold water help alleviate this result.

I'm a cold water convert. Even though it's the middle of winter here in Australia, shaving with cold water has been fine. It significantly reduces the amount of irritation I get on my neck.

I highly recommend a trial for anyone that still gets some neck redness from shaving.

EDIT: Also, be sure to check out C.O.L.D. for more info.

Last edited:
definitely cold water over here. fill up a cup of water, put three ice cubes in it and use one to wet my face and one and the cup to dip my razor between passes. supposedly part of the science is that the cold temp draws blood away from your skin, lessening the chances of blood during shave. please try it. your shaves will be better i think.

Yep. Love it. Just give it a try, it is easy. Cold water replace hot water, straight from the tap in my case.

I started shaving with rain water when I returned to this area from spending many years around Houston, where the reservoir water is quite soft, and the extreme hardness here makes all kinds of trouble for natural products such as quality shave soaps and creams, hair shampoos, etc and builds up calcium deposits on everything rapidly.

I've had an electric tea kettle in the back bathroom for many years here, although during the interim between working in the private sector and getting a good position in Academia, I held two jobs, slept little, and gave up my relaxed shaves in favor of rushed poor shaves with poor softwares, although I never accepted Gillette's triple blades and more hardware, sticking with Sensor twins.

Once started, I kept it up, forgetting I didn't actually have to rush so much. Somewhere around three years ago (a few months before getting hooked on B&B), I rediscovered my shave origins, and began enjoying doing it the old way, with my own old DEs, and hot or warm water. But a drought interfered. To stretch out distilled water purchased at the grocer's, I switched to creams without lather, and room temperature water.

Same great shaves. The drought isn't over, but the rain barrel is fairly full, so whatever I want to do, I can do and not feel I'm being extravagant. However, warmed water has become only an occasional special pleasure (I've never experienced skin irritation from DEs/SEs/Injectors or Sensor twins, just from electric shavers).

I have switched to cold water shaving. My face does enjoy it even though I know its going to be tough thing to do come January.

I'm a cold water convert. Even though it's the middle of winter here in Australia, shaving with cold water has been fine. It significantly reduces the amount of irritation I get on my neck.

I highly recommend a trial for anyone that still gets some neck redness from shaving.

EDIT: Also, be sure to check out C.O.L.D. for more info.
+1
Back when I used to use carts I used to hot shave all the time but always ended up with very irritated sensitive skin afterwards (the carts weren't helping either!). After changing a few things I found that cold water was the way to go!
Even now that I've begun strictly using DEs I prefer the cold shave! But like everyone else said YMMV :001_smile

Enjoyed a great cold water shave this morning, after my run. Nothing worse then sweat returning to ruin a shave.

Yesterday I was out in the sun all day and it was hot and humid...40 Celsius which is crazy hot. That afternoon I got back took a cold shower and a cold shave. Amazing and refreshing. I like and prefer the warm water shave but on days like yesterday it's not even a competition. I even did a 4 pass ...I usually do 2-3..and absolutely no irritation..that's another side benefit .

I get less irritation with cold water. I have grown to love the feeling of cold steel running over my face. The shave isn't any better just less irritation.

I get less irritation with cold water. I have grown to love the feeling of cold steel running over my face. The shave isn't any better just less irritation.

Ive been trying this for the last 2 days with great success! Irritation has gone down from minimal to none. I wouldnt say im ready to join C.O.L.D. yet but, Im almost converted.... The trial goes on. Happily!

Top Bottom