What's new

Cold water shaving- it works

I just tried this today and found that it works well for me too! As I come out of the shower I splash cold water on my face. I use a little warm water initially to get the lather started but rinse off my razor each time with cold water and use cold water if I need to add more water to the initial lather.

It just keeps the skin tighter and less prone to irritation. I think I'll keep doing it.

The main benefit seems to be the reduced irritation but it also seems to shave a little closer.

I must be doing something wrong - it didn't seem to be that much different than regular shaving with hot water for me. Are you guys using ice water or plain old cold tap water?

I'm just using cold tap water. If you don't have any issues with sensitive skin, irritation then you might not notice much difference. In other words if you are getting close shaves with no irritation then there's nothing to improve upon.

Did a cold water shave this morning and with the exception of a little weeper (bled less however) along the usualy spot on my neck, it went well. Only thing was that using my horse brush and Razorock shaving cream soap, it didn't seem to lather as well as when I do it with hot water so I may have to continue to soak brush in hot water and use cold water on ym face.

I used a new to me razor today; an older beat up one that I was gifted. Best shave so far. I tried warm water as it's really cold outside and I wasn't up for two cold things this morning. Do you guys use the same setup for CWS or do you have specific razors, blades and creams?

I switched to a DE razor and started applying shaving cream with a brush about three months ago and I have gotten great results. Recently I saw this forum about shaving with cold water. I decided to give it a try this morning. I took a warm shower then exfoliated my face with nutrogena face scrub with COLD water instead of hot. I had already soaked my badger brush and muehle r89 with a feather blade in cold water. I whipped up TOBS avocado and applied it to my face and it actually felt great. I did WTG, XTG, and ATG passes and the shave felt awesome. It got mighty close on one days growth. No nicks and no cuts. It took a little bit more pressure to cut my hair with my razor however all in all I got a full close shave without missing a spot and little to no burn after. I'm going to continue this method to see if the results vary.

Hi Jray, welcome to Badger and Blade!

I'm a fan of cold water shaving myself, but it's still chilly here in NC, and I just can't bring myself to NOT use warm water during the winter. It's not as comfortable for my skin, but it sure is cozy!

If you get a chance, head over to our Hall of Fame and tell us a bit about yourself. Feel free to ask any questions that you have. We're a very friendly and well-mannered bunch, eager to help out a fellow shaver.

Enjoy your time here, happy shaves, and once again--WELCOME!

Hi Jray, welcome to Badger and Blade!

I'm a fan of cold water shaving myself, but it's still chilly here in NC, and I just can't bring myself to NOT use warm water during the winter. It's not as comfortable for my skin, but it sure is cozy!

If you get a chance, head over to our Hall of Fame and tell us a bit about yourself. Feel free to ask any questions that you have. We're a very friendly and well-mannered bunch, eager to help out a fellow shaver.

Enjoy your time here, happy shaves, and once again--WELCOME!
Just go a little tepid if you wish.

Tried CWS tonight and seems to have gotten much closer than what I usually get. One good part is that it has shown me where I need to focus better on finding what direction some patches of hair grow in because it seems to make the missed hairs stand out more. I have about half of my face BBS and the REST not so BBS :) Kind of like a patchwork quilt lol. I started with MWF, and but was having trouble lathering it cold so I switched to a super (uber? is there a difference?) lather of MWF, Proraso red and 4 drops of glycerin. Worked out well for me. I will experiment with it more for sure.

Started CWS on face (not head yet) after reading something on Art of Manliness. Shaves have been excellent. Face feels much better. Going to try the head out soon. Still a bit apprehensive, but ready.

Trying to imagine some Volstok with this method.... :w00t:

I tried a full cold shave today and was pleasantly surprised. I had less irritation on the problematic neck area. I will tweak tomorrow with warm, not hot, water for the lather. I was definitely over doing the warm shave.

A question for the cold water shavers - do you shower before your shave?

A cold water shave sounds fine, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I start taking cold showers for the sake of a better shave :tongue_sm:lol: I rely on my hot shower to wake me up enough to wield sharp objects.

Reminds me when my wife gave me my first "Filipino Style" bath in Cebu. The old way, which is still used by many in the Philippines, is to get a large quantity of cold water from a pot using a dipper (kabut in Cebuano) and splash over you, lather up, and repeat the splashing to rinse off. When she did this I screamed like a little girl! I could hear her parents laughing in the house.

Gary

Started a week ago and have never felt better. Getting much closer on my neck without the irritation, skin is tighter, almost no ingrowns, head shaving is better as well.

Thank you gentleman for the suggestion. Keeping it up in winter will be tougher but for the next few months I'm all-in.

Reminds me when my wife gave me my first "Filipino Style" bath in Cebu. The old way, which is still used by many in the Philippines, is to get a large quantity of cold water from a pot using a dipper (kabut in Cebuano) and splash over you, lather up, and repeat the splashing to rinse off. When she did this I screamed like a little girl! I could hear her parents laughing in the house.

Gary

That's exactly what I was thinking. I spent a lot of time in the Philippines and it was easy for me to get used to those kind of showers. Just take a couple of deep breaths before the water hits.

So I decided to give this a try. I felt better doing a hot shave and finishing off with a cold rinse after. I may try it again to confirm, but I will probably stick with what works for me.

Top Bottom