What's new

Cold water shaving- it works

I'll give it a try during my next shave. I too live down South and the premise makes sense to me. On the flip side, I have public water and it never really gets all that cold anyway. It might be a tad chilly in the winter but nothing like the water from the well when I lived in NH!

You all suck. Now I have to use cold water for my Sunday shave, the one day a week I create a bowl/mug "scuttle" and actually bother with keeping everything really hot. Lately my shaves have sucked, but I've been in a hurry and also used warm instead of hot water.

Well, here's hoping for a better shave!

I'm in. Next shave will be cold.

I always disliked putting hot water on my face for a shave. I prefer cooler temperatures. I'm naturally warm, all the time.

Bleh, not for me. I use hot water mostly for the comfort, something about cold water on my face and head first thing in the morning just doen't work for me...

Question for the cold water shavers - when you say "cold" water, exactly how cold is it? Is it the coldest water your tap can draw? Or do you actually mean somewhat lukewarm, mixing in some hot water with it? I've been using lukewarm water for the last several weeks, throughout summer, and have had no noticeable difference compared to using hot water. I've never used scalding hot water though. Once its winter again, I'll probably get back to "hotter" water.

By "cold", I mean the coldest water that can come out of my tap.

Just did my second cold water shave tonight. I thought my first must have been a fluke, but with only splashing my face for a minute or so, letting the shaving cream (brush soaked in cold water) sit on my face for about 30 seconds, I had one of the best shaves of my life. As the OP said, it makes sense to prevent your face from swelling up, making it hot, and scraping a razor over it.

Hot is out, no matter how cold it gets over here. Try it, it's free.

Good to see that is works :thumbup1:

I did my first cold water shave this morning, and I have to admit I liked the way it turned out. What I wasn't sure of was whether, when I'm done with my final pass, if I should then go back to warmer water to rinse off the left over lather and then do a few cold water splashes before applying ASB (this was the route I went) or if I should stick with cold water the entire time.

Thanks.

One morning about 6 months ago I was running late, so I skipped "Kyles Prep" and just applied lather to my unwashed face using warm water and face lathering. I also only did 2 passes instead of 3. To my surprise I got a DFS with NO WEEPERS OR NICKS. Using Kyles Prep I almost always had a least 1 weeper. So for the last 6 months I've been getting DFS's or BBS shaves by not doing any prep, and only using 2 passes. FYI I use feather blades. I don't know why but it works for me. My Dirty Bird Scuttle now just sits on the shelf as a decoration.

I did my first cold water shave this morning, and I have to admit I liked the way it turned out. What I wasn't sure of was whether, when I'm done with my final pass, if I should then go back to warmer water to rinse off the left over lather and then do a few cold water splashes before applying ASB (this was the route I went) or if I should stick with cold water the entire time.

Thanks.

" if I should then go back to warmer water to rinse off the left over lather and then do a few cold water splashes before applying ASB"

That is what I do, adding a step in there with an alum block after the cold water splashes.

A question for the cold water shavers - do you shower before your shave?

A cold water shave sounds fine, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I start taking cold showers for the sake of a better shave :tongue_sm:lol: I rely on my hot shower to wake me up enough to wield sharp objects.

I don't shower before I shave. It is interesting to think about showering with hot water, the shaving with cold. Hmmmm I'll try that one day.

Question for the cold water shavers - when you say "cold" water, exactly how cold is it? Is it the coldest water your tap can draw? Or do you actually mean somewhat lukewarm, mixing in some hot water with it? I've been using lukewarm water for the last several weeks, throughout summer, and have had no noticeable difference compared to using hot water. I've never used scalding hot water though. Once its winter again, I'll probably get back to "hotter" water.

I used the coldest my tap will allow.

Last edited:
I guess this is as good a place as any to post my entire cold water routine. I would encourage all of you other cold water shavers to post your entire routine.

First of all soak my Omega boar in the bowl with tepid water while I shower. While I take a normal warm/hot shower I wash my face then put conditioner on my face, letting it sit on my whiskers for the remainder of the shower. At end of shower, rinse off face then as i'm shutting off the shower I do a final rinse on my face with cold water, to seal in moisture.

Out of the shower I bowl later with Proraso, and before I shave I get a couple of ice cubes from the freezer. I wet and ice cube and rub my face with it everywhere I will be shaving. Then I later my face up and do my WTG pass. Next, I take the second ice cube re-rub my face with it, later my face and do my ATG pass. And then I do my blade buffing if needed. Tepid water to rinse the cream, Cold water splash, Alum block (leaving on while i clean up), rinse off alum with cold water, AS.

I do not do an XTG pass. I've found that it does noting for my beard reduction that my WTG pass did not already do. But that just me.

I've been getting DFS and BBS consistently with this method. A few comments about it. I know my ice cube method probably sound a bit extreme to most of you but let me explain a bit. Back when I was still hot water shaving, after I was done I noticed my cold water final splashes would make my facial hair stand up and make any trouble spots stand out, making my shave look spotty. This is when I switched to cold water shaving. I was getting such a better shave with cold water, I started wondering what would happen if I did and ice rub. Well, I tried it and it worked very well for me, the ice would cause my hairs to stand at attention, making it much easier to shave. It would highlight and trouble areas I need to pay extra attention to. The quality of my shave improved doing this and at this time was when my shaves went from DFS to BBS. I am not advocating ice for everyone, but it works for me.

I really noticed the most improvement with these methods, during my alum block rub. Before on hot water shaves with kyles prep, the alum block would set my face on fire, and i was still getting sub-par shaves. Now I get very little stinging at all with the alum and am consistently getting DFS and BBS. My technique is continually evolving, especially regarding my trouble spots, my upper lip and my neck around my adams apple.

I know alot of you hot water shavers do not think of cold water as relaxing and refreshing, but I enjoy it greatly. I love the cold against my skin first thing in the morning. I find it bracing and invigorating.

I am looking forward to this winter. In the coming dead of winter I have an outdoor shave plan in the works, just as a fun experiment.

I would be interested to hear the full technique you other cold water shavers use, products you use, etc. Maybe i'll get some ideas to improve my own shave.

As with everything else YMMV. :thumbup:

Since today is Saturday I wasn't up before dawn, so I shaved, with cold water, before the shower. Soaked the brush in tepid water and splashed a teaspoon of tepid water on the puck of soap. All other water for the shave was cold - meaning I didn't turn on the hot spigot.

The shave was great, but so was yesterday's shave with hot water. I'll give this cold water shaving a go for the next week to see how it goes.

Didn't work for me. My first pass was ok but felt the blade tugging a bit. The second and third pass wasn't as smooth. The final pass resulted in a bit of irritation.

I have a very heavy, wiry beard - so that may be the difference.

I would describe my beard as very coarse. Cold water gives me a much better shave. I have much more dragging and skipping with hot water. I use a feather blade and for not more than 2 shaves.

Didn't work for me. My first pass was ok but felt the blade tugging a bit. The second and third pass wasn't as smooth. The final pass resulted in a bit of irritation.

I have a very heavy, wiry beard - so that may be the difference.

I also have a tough beard and had a bit of irritation. I think this works for the guys with light whiskers.

I too have a very coarse beard, but it works for me. Did you gentlemen splash your face with cold water or do any type of prep?

Maybe this is just a case of YMMV.

What I did was wash my face with tepid water. Then I put on some Proraso pre/after shave and prepared my lather. I then took cold water and rinsed my face with it and splashed cold water on my face. I lathered up and shaved. The first pass was OK - but not as smooth as when I use hot water. The subsequent passes were not as good and I ended up with two small nicks on my mustache and neck - something that hasn't happened to me in months. Yesterday with the same razor but an older blade of the same brand I did my normal hot water prep and got a far superior shave.

I guess it is a question of YMMV.

What I did was wash my face with tepid water. Then I put on some Proraso pre/after shave and prepared my lather. I then took cold water and rinsed my face with it and splashed cold water on my face. I lathered up and shaved. The first pass was OK - but not as smooth as when I use hot water. The subsequent passes were not as good and I ended up with two small nicks on my mustache and neck - something that hasn't happened to me in months. Yesterday with the same razor but an older blade of the same brand I did my normal hot water prep and got a far superior shave.

I guess it is a question of YMMV.

Well, if hot water works for you, I guess I cannot argue with that. YMMV.

Had a cold water shave after a hot shower this morning. Used Williams with a dash of Corn Huskers and got the easiest BBS yet.

H

Top Bottom