What's new

Cold water shaving- it works

Sorry to revive an old thread (this one has been around for 12 years). I'm definitely onboard the cold water shaving train. I can even get great shaves from my R41, which in the past only ever gave me trouble and which I was never going to use again. I just prep with the coldest water my face can tolerate, then brush, razor and soap soaked in cold water. I don't rinse my face between passes - I just use my hands to remove the majority of residue lather. I first do a WTG pass without the base plate, then reattach base plate for XTG and ATG if required. My shaves have never been better.

Sorry to revive an old thread (this one has been around for 12 years). I'm definitely onboard the cold water shaving train. I can even get great shaves from my R41, which in the past only ever gave me trouble and which I was never going to use again. I just prep with the coldest water my face can tolerate, then brush, razor and soap soaked in cold water. I don't rinse my face between passes - I just use my hands to remove the majority of residue lather. I first do a WTG pass without the base plate, then reattach base plate for XTG and ATG if required. My shaves have never been better.
You do WTG without the baseplate? So you use a handle , blade and top cap only? What?
Is this a typo ?

A safety razor used without the base plate is colloquially referred as a devette or DEvette. If you search Youtube for "devette razor" you'll see a few videos come up.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A safety razor used without the base plate is colloquially referred as a devette or DEvette. If you search Youtube for "devette razor" you'll see a few videos come up.
I have always been scared shaving with a "safety" razor as you cannot see the blade's edge on your skin. That is why I went directly to straight razors and missed the "safety" razor transition.

A devette sounds similar to a shavette type razor, except single edge and different handle geometry. I am comfortable to shave with a shavette.

I don't have a three-piece DE razor to try this. What I do have is a Futura razor that is just collecting dust. I have been thinking of removing (grinding off) the solid bar on at least one side and shaving without the bar. Then I should be able to see the edge on my skin.

I might give this a try over the weekend. If it doesn't work for me, I can always finish off with my shavette and the Futura can return to collecting.

After several years doing the cold water shaving, it's a good idea to occasionally check your bias. In the last couple months, I have accidentally gotten warm water on my face a few times and every time it has turned red and felt irritated. I discovered that I can handle luke warm, but that's more like cold swimming pool. The other thing that I can handle that is nice, is a warm razor. Only slightly warm, don't want to push it and I am constantly spraying more cold water on my face anyway. I really think it is the final rinse that matters the most, but washing the face in hot water before shaving would come in a close second, I could mitigate that with a lot of cold water.

Hi Keto. Thanks for that. There's a guy on YT who does all three passes (WTG,XTG and ATG) without the baseplate, so compared to him, I'm a wuss lol.🙂
Lol,. I saw some YouTube but got pulled away. I'll try to catch more. Shoot you all are Studs or crazy not sure which one. Haha
Of course I'm just being myself and kidding around.

Top Bottom