What's new

Cold Water Shaving in Hot Climates

I shave most of the time with cold water. With the temperatures in AZ hitting 110+ the water from the tap does not get cold. So, this a.m. I brought up a container of ice cubes to cool down the water. I dumped some cubes in the water, washed my face, and use that water to wet my face. After I finished shaving I took one ice cube and rubbed it on my hands and put my hands on my face and head. Felt very refreshing.

What do you cold water shavers do when the tap water does not get cold?

Hi All - We've just had a heat wave here in the UK, with daily temperatures in the early '30s and night time not much less. I'm well aware that a lot of you folks experience weather much hotter than this but when you're not used to it it's very draining.

During this period I have been cold water shaving just to cool down and not only is it very refreshing but I've also had some wonderful shaves. I wouldn't say that they're any better in terms of closeness, but I've had no irritation at all and been left with a great face feel afterwards.

In light of this I've decided to continue in this vein once the weather cools down a bit.

Always learning.

@ackvil freshly chilled ice water in the scuttle with a side of same to rinse with and brace the rest of my face and head. IF it's Really a bad day, soak the shaving towel in the cold water and use it to cool my whole body wrapped around my neck. 5 minutes of this will drop core temperature enough to feel so much better for an hour or so. Literally rinse and repeat as needed.

My tap water is usually cool but not cold during the summer (it helps that the house well shaded). The few times it hasn't been cool enough I've added ice cubes to the water in the sink. Nothing better in the summer than a cold water shave with a menthol soap!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
We get cold tap water maybe two months a year, but only early in the morning. By 7 or 8am the water will be warm. In August you let the cold water run before putting your hand under to prevent burns.

But I do keep a bottle of Florida Water in the frig and two or three times a day use a few splashes.

East Coast of Florida here. From basically the end of April through early December I don't have cold water. In the mornings I can get cooler water but I shower and shave after work (I do a manual labor job so doing so before work is pointless) so by 6pm when I am home and showering I can get about 80f as the coldest. I'm ok with that though. I don't like extremes of hot or cold for showering or shaving. I'm more into room temp, and yes in Florida 80f is room temp lol.

I work with water all day at work and it's funny how hot the cold water can come out between noon and 3pm. Like one poster above said, the cold water will be so hot at first you have to let it run a second so you don't get burned.

East Coast of Florida here. From basically the end of April through early December I don't have cold water. In the mornings I can get cooler water but I shower and shave after work (I do a manual labor job so doing so before work is pointless) so by 6pm when I am home and showering I can get about 80f as the coldest. I'm ok with that though. I don't like extremes of hot or cold for showering or shaving. I'm more into room temp, and yes in Florida 80f is room temp lol.

I work with water all day at work and it's funny how hot the cold water can come out between noon and 3pm. Like one poster above said, the cold water will be so hot at first you have to let it run a second so you don't get burned.
I lived in both the East and West Coast of FL for years. I traded the heat and humidity for the intense heat of AZ. I had the same water problems there.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Never thought about it. Just fill the basin with water from the cold tap and shave. It's cool but not cold. Good for showering after work. No hot water needed.

I remember one summer in Tucson (1975)where I lived in an old adobe with all the pipes surface mounted on the walls.
I turned off the hot water heater and showered with hot water solar heated.. without panels, mind you.
These days in Germany, even with the airtemps at 29 or 30, the cold is cold enough to give a good shave.
If I ever get moved back to AZ or NV.. I'll keep that ice cube instead of alum trick in mind.

This will at some point towards the bottom become relevant to shaving and ground water temp:

An update on my ground water- I am a professional craft brewer and towards the end of the brewing process you have to chill your boiling hot liquid that will soon become beer to somewhere between 60-70f (for ales) and typically ground/tap water is used in a heat exchanger (similar to the radiator in your car) to do so. Today I brewed a batch of beer and was able to get the temperature down to around 82f, before needing to use mechanically cooled water, which means my ground/tap water was between 82-84f with the ambient air temperature being around 90f at 3:30pm.

Figured I would share that since I was able to verify my tap water temp with a commercial lab thermometer.

This will at some point towards the bottom become relevant to shaving and ground water temp:

An update on my ground water- I am a professional craft brewer and towards the end of the brewing process you have to chill your boiling hot liquid that will soon become beer to somewhere between 60-70f (for ales) and typically ground/tap water is used in a heat exchanger (similar to the radiator in your car) to do so. Today I brewed a batch of beer and was able to get the temperature down to around 82f, before needing to use mechanically cooled water, which means my ground/tap water was between 82-84f with the ambient air temperature being around 90f at 3:30pm.

Figured I would share that since I was able to verify my tap water temp with a commercial lab thermometer.
Can I suggest putting a picture of snow-capped mountains on your bottle will give the illusion it was made with nice cold mountain run off. ;)

I live in NJ and just deal with the cool water from the tap. Bringing up ice cubes just seems like a lot of work. My wife lived in Copenhagen, Denmark for a year and a half and the cold water there was ice cold and I had the best shaves of my life while visiting. I sure do miss that freezing cold tap water.

I shave most of the time with cold water. With the temperatures in AZ hitting 110+ the water from the tap does not get cold. So, this a.m. I brought up a container of ice cubes to cool down the water. I dumped some cubes in the water, washed my face, and use that water to wet my face. After I finished shaving I took one ice cube and rubbed it on my hands and put my hands on my face and head. Felt very refreshing.

What do you cold water shavers do when the tap water does not get cold?

I shave at ambient temperature. I've done it once or twice with ice cubes to put the cold vs. hot to the test and it worked very well.

Top Bottom