What's new

Cold Water Shaving in Hot Climates

I shave most of the time with cold water. With the temperatures in AZ hitting 110+ the water from the tap does not get cold. So, this a.m. I brought up a container of ice cubes to cool down the water. I dumped some cubes in the water, washed my face, and use that water to wet my face. After I finished shaving I took one ice cube and rubbed it on my hands and put my hands on my face and head. Felt very refreshing.

What do you cold water shavers do when the tap water does not get cold?
I do what you did, fill my sink with ice cubes and add water.

I guess I'm lucky, despite the summer temps in my special arm pit of the world being consistently high, my tap water is on the cool side. I prefer a cold water shave so this is a good thing.
Today I actually put ice in a scuttle and in my sink. I don't usually use a scuttle but I enjoy the COLD lather quite a bit.

I'm in the northeast US so no problem getting cold water up from the tap even in the hottest weather (well by this region's standard of hot).

Friday the temps were low 90's here but what kills you is the humidity and without A/C all you do is sweat.

Right around mid morning I had a nice cold water shave using Proraso green, my hammered copper Turkish shave bowl and Omega boar brush. What a refreshing break!

I live in NJ and just deal with the cool water from the tap. Bringing up ice cubes just seems like a lot of work. My wife lived in Copenhagen, Denmark for a year and a half and the cold water there was ice cold and I had the best shaves of my life while visiting. I sure do miss that freezing cold tap water.
I reside in NJ and Florida, I adjusted to both climates but doing extra work to attain cold water forshaving is worth it I think.

I reside in NJ and Florida, I adjusted to both climates but doing extra work to attain cold water forshaving is worth it I think.

I know I would get good results from dong it, still seems like extra steps that I'm realistically only willing to take, perhaps, occasionally. Maybe in my next house I can figure out how to get refrigerated water directly in my bathroom sink...I'm sure folks have come up with stranger home customizations.

I just use the coldest I can get from the tap. I know quite a few guys keep some of their aftershaves in the refrigerator. We actually have a spare fridge in the garage that isn't used much, so I've been thinking about relocating my aftershaves in there.

My skin doesn't handle menthol very well. I can only use it infrequently. Haven't pulled out the osage rub for a while though. I may need to break that out this week.

I just use the coldest I can get from the tap. I know quite a few guys keep some of their aftershaves in the refrigerator. We actually have a spare fridge in the garage that isn't used much, so I've been thinking about relocating my aftershaves in there.

My skin doesn't handle menthol very well. I can only use it infrequently. Haven't pulled out the osage rub for a while though. I may need to break that out this week.
Osage Rub is a mainstay when it's above 110!

Top Bottom