What's new

Cold water shave... give it a go

Just curious, does anyone here skip the hot shower first, just start shaving with cold water, no other prep? So the process would be, wet face with cold water, whip up some lather, either cream or soap (I'm a face latherer), apply and start shaving. Cold water rinse between passes as needed. Done. (Then take a shower as usual.)

Most of the time this what I do. Times when I have a shower before is if I’ve done some heavy exercise or physical work etc.

I also use pro raso white pre shave.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just curious, does anyone here skip the hot shower first, just start shaving with cold water, no other prep? So the process would be, wet face with cold water, whip up some lather, either cream or soap (I'm a face latherer), apply and start shaving. Cold water rinse between passes as needed. Done. (Then take a shower as usual.)
Yes, I shave before my "cold-water" shower. No piped hot water available in my house.

Yes, I shave before my "cold-water" shower. No piped hot water available in my house.
Put water in a kettle boil it and put that Into the sink dip de or straight into it and have at it :thumbup:....shouldnt have to say this and im sure you wouldnt but DO NOT splash that water on your face:c9:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Put water in a kettle boil it and put that Into the sink dip de or straight into it and have at it :thumbup:....shouldnt have to say this and im sure you wouldnt but DO NOT splash that water on your face:c9:
You sound like the barber in The Man From Ironbark.

😂 lmao wow thats old i didnt remember the words but i remember the title ..grandad told it to me when i was little..just googled it and laughed

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The story is is also here:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
😂 lmao wow thats old i didnt remember the words but i remember the title ..grandad told it to me when i was little..just googled it and laughed
As a young lad, you must have been one of the gilded youth in the barber shop.

Seems like I am also getting much better results using colder water. Actually I now use slightly colder than lukewarm water, but that feels like cold on my face.

Then I lather up in a scuttle so I get pretty warm lather after a bit cold wash and at the second pass lather really feels warm after I've done some rinse with cold water.

Lot better results, less irritation and have not noticed a single bump. With warm water I always got one or two very angry bumps.

Will keep testing...

I wonder if using tepid or warm water during the shave itself, but using an ice cube like an alum block between passes would create similar results?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have cold water rinsed for a couple of years and enjoy it a lot. When I wash my face I seem to like warm water to help clean or prep the face. When shaving after each pass I will cold water rinse and that sooths the skin. I tried using warm towels to soften the beard prior to shaving and really did not notice a lot of difference so now all I do to Pre shave is use warm water(not hot) and use CeraVe hydrating cleanser bar soap with my Yaqi synthetic cashmere knot to wash the whole face. That is a nice feeling to the face using a brush instead of a hand towel to apply and lightly scrub the face with the proper soap to clean the surface of the skin(2-3 minutes needed to wash my face properly). I read by doctors it is not natural for people to use hot water to wash and warm water is healthier for us(go figure), it makes sense when you think about the effort that is needed to heat water on a wood stove or over a open fire back hundreds or thousands of years.
My shaves have never been better since starting traditional wet shaving but it took some time to perfect my different procedure.
1/ wet the face with warm water & then brush wash with CeraVe hand bar soap followed by a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera on cleaned beard area.
2/ warm my lather bowl
Shaving bowl 3 (2).jpg
with hot water for 20 seconds with scooped out soap in it before warming it and then lather with a warmed synthetic shave brush in the already warmed up ceramic bowl. Very nice in the winter months to start with warm lather IMO!
3/ rinse face with warm water then apply 1st lather and do first pass WTG and followed by cold water rinse:)001_wub:Love that feeling)
4/ apply 2nd lathering to do 2nd pass ATG followed by cold water rinsing. :001_wub:
5/apply 3rd just below chin lathering for pickups followed by warm rinse and then followed by cold water rinse:001_wub:
6/ after that just pat dry and apply my aftershave & balm to start the day. Works for me (15 -20 minutes start to finish)
This is not 100% cold water shaving but maybe 70% and rest 30% warm water(not hot) shaving. Nice to spoil myself:thumbup:

Top Bottom