What's new

Cold Steel knives

Well, I've been thinking of picking up a new pocket knife, and a few knives made by Cold Steel have caught my eye. Anybody have experience with them or can attest to their quality? The two main ones I'm thinking of buying are the Caledonian and the Spectre (I should say I'm trying to decide between- that's if my budget allows!). I'd like a good quality knife that will last a lifetime (if not many) and that is interesting (but not over the top). Thanks in advance.

Cold Steel is some quality. I carry a CounterTac in my boot. I love that blade. Concave grind, double-edged, and long. I would highly recommend them.

Cold Steel is quality. Do not hesitate. I have had several folders and currently use the K4 and K7 kitchen knives. Awesome knives!

I'm not going to knock Cold Steel but there will be some coming along that will, I will say for the price of the two selected though that you can get more knife for a lot less.

I'm not going to knock Cold Steel but there will be some coming along that will, I will say for the price of the two selected though that you can get more knife for a lot less.

What would be some other knives/companies to look at then? Thanks.

What would be some other knives/companies to look at then? Thanks.

I have a limited edition Benchmade which is 091/400. Cold Steel is pretty good for their price. My friends have a bunch of Cold Steel products.

Depending on what you want the knife for. I like my little Osborne designed knife and carry it with me wherever I go by car. I just use this knife to open letters and what not. Nothing to hard on the blade.

Again depending on what you are looking for, I have a SOG Seal Pup with a kydex sheath for everything else.

What I'm looking for in the knife is general, but light, use. Nothing for camping or survival. I'm also interested in an interesting blade/folder- like the ones mentioned (caledonian and spectre)- nothing too fancy, but just a good quality knife overall that still has a interesting design. Anybody know of any other Scottish (sgian dubh) 'inspired' knives?

Last edited:
Well you have me on the sgian dubh design, not many manufacturers are doing those these days. As for companies in general you can't go wrong with Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Buck, or CRKT. My vote goes to Benchmade, great product, great warranty, and great service, not to mention great design's. Check out there line of products and I'm sure you'll see something you like. I myself really want the Lum, but have spent my knife money on straight razors.

Cold Steel is great, if you can find a bit of a discount somewhere. They MSRP a little expensive, but its also fairly easy to track down discounts on them. My current carry knife is a Cold Steel Ti-Lite 6", and I love it.

A Benchmade Apparition 3.5" (old model) is my backup knife for locations where the 6" is deemed too scary for the general population.

Both are fine knives and have served me well for over 2 years.

Thanks for the knife recommendations fellows. My other knife is a Buck Mayo that I received as a present- I lucked out on it; since then pocket knives have interested me. Here's the Caledonian that's caught my eye.

proxy.php

Any advice for picking knives online? There aren't many places that I know of that carry nicer knives around here where I can go and look in person.

Last edited:
I'd take most brands over cold steel, but the Caledonian edge is a well made knife made by a good Japanese maker so not a bad choice.

At that price I'd look at William Henry, Chris Reeve, Kopas from Spyderco, Bradley Alias etc.

Sverre

They are no longer made, but the Culloden and Mini Culloden are worth a look on the secondary market. I carry a Culloden as a sgian dubh when kilted. It's traditional enough to not look out-of-place but effective if required.

I've got one of the Cold Steel Hunters. It's not the best design for a skinning knife, but it's razor sharp, even after skinning several deer with it.

Top Bottom