What's new

Cold Steel Anxiety

Ok, so I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'm 56 years old, been shaving for 40 years or so. I'm director of an organization of 60 people. Done a lot of things in my life. So why us that little, shiny, beautiful Merkur 33c, that was delivered yesterday, scaring the hell out of me?

Worried in Illinois

Because you heard all of the horror stories as a child of how horrible these razors are. How they will peel your skin off in bloody chunks. All because of the shift to disposable razors we were all brainwashed into. Don't worry you will have the best shave of your life. Just remember to let the blade cut the whisker . No need to press down and use small strokes you'll be fine.

I have a Merkur 33c and it is one of my favorite razors to use in my rotation. Take you time and you will be fine.
I lived in Illinois for most of my life and as far as things that scared the hell out of me shaving with the Merkur would be low on the list. Some of the things at the top would be Ice storms, Winter weather, Chicago politicians (this is the one that topped my list).
Good luck and have a good weekend.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Congratulations. The 33c is a great razor. Good lather, watch your angle and pressure, and stretch your skin, you will be fine.

I think it's good you have a healthy respect for it. It will make you more cautious during your first shave. I went into my first DE shave sure I would cut myself to ribbons so I was anxious/fearful. I ended up with a small nick and small patch of razor burn. I had a very nice shave and I felt incredibly accomplished.
Good luck!!! Let us know how it goes.

So why us that little, shiny, beautiful Merkur 33c, that was delivered yesterday, scaring the hell out of me?
It's just a healthy survival instinct which helps mankind to be careful, and when overcome gives us that nice silly feeling to have achieved something important even if it did neither cost a great effort nor had a great impact on evolution. :wink2:

You have nothing to worry about - focus, go slow, and don't apply pressure, and you'll do just fine.

Keep a phone nearby though. I KID, I KID!!

In a few seconds of getting started you'll feel a lot better. I remember the first time I picked up a DE razor my pulse was going pretty good too!

Ok, so I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'm 56 years old, been shaving for 40 years or so. I'm director of an organization of 60 people. Done a lot of things in my life. So why us that little, shiny, beautiful Merkur 33c, that was delivered yesterday, scaring the hell out of me?

Worried in Illinois

Be not afraid.

I would not want to have anyone watching while I'm shaving. One of the worst cuts I ever got was when the wife asked me a question during a shaving session. You should have all your concentration on the task at hand.

If you end up needing a medic, you will be able to cry out before you bleed out.

Worried in Illinois

Don't be scared, just shave with it already.

I started wet shaving about a year and a half ago. I got tired of the noon o'clock shadow my Mach 3 was giving me. Almost went electric, but luckily found some wet shaving info on line and became intrigued. I got a 38c, some C&E soap and brush but I had similar worries about doing it "right". I must have watched Mantic videos of two hours before I just went in and did it. To that point, that was the best shave I ever had and haven't looked back.

First DE shave i had was with a merkur 34c i was sweating profusly by the time i finished that first shave

There is a reason that these are known as safety razors. They're safe to use. More than safe. Easy.

Watch Mantic's videos and enjoy the ride. You'll look back with regret at the years you weren't using one of these razors.

Remember: millions of men have been using these razors daily for the past 100 years.

I was a m3 cart user for some 18 years and made the switch to DE a few weeks ago, I've never had a better shave except from my barber and his straight. Slow down, enjoy the experience, and let the weight of the razor do the work. I started off with simple WTG and XTG before beginning against. Nicked myself once so far with a blue bird blade but an alum block will take care of that. Its something I look forward to after my morning shower before work, put on some nice tunes whip up the lather and go at it. I watched mantic as well before my first time, that was super helpful. And I'd let the woman watch (after you get the groove down), mine thinks its super nifty watching me lather up and shave. Of course she has me wearing bowties now too, and I'm not arguing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom