What's new

Cold shower anyone?

In summer, when I'm in serious need of a cool down, I'll start off warmish, then slowly adjust colder and colder throughout the shower. I've really considered just going all in with always cold but I'm not there yet. In winter, I like to shower with the window open. That ice cold air mixed with a hot shower feels real nice.

Actual photo of the time I tried to take a cold shower.

433BEBEA-51CB-4518-A6F5-AA481B80B684.jpeg

In another thread @TinyT mentioned he takes cold showers. A friend of mine is also big into cold showers. I am generally a hot water shower guy, but today, after mowing the lawn, I decided to follow @TinyT example and try a cold shower. At first the shock just about knocked me out, but like jumping in a cold pool after a few minutes I didn't notice the cold...and it was quite refreshing. Any cold shower guys out there?
I love a good cold shower. I used to be a hot shower guy but started going cold because I use to have such hot showers that I would come out of the shower sweating, which kind of defeats the purpose of taking a shower.
A few years ago, we were living in a rental house and the water heater was out for about a week. As someone who works in a factory and pretty much has to shower ever day, I didnt have much choice but to deal with it. After a few cold water showers, it got to where it really wasnt that bad.
For me, its also part of my Zen practice. I wont take it to the extreme of some of the old masters who would meditate in a waterfall but I do take the coldest showers that I can stand because it teaches me how to not respond to my own suffering and it teaches me how to be comfortable being uncomfortable.
Theres also some claims of the health benefits of cold showers and how it improves circulation and lowers blood pressure.
I also find it refreshing during the summer months. My wife thinks that Im insane but Ive grown to love it.

I like cold showers, be it Summer or Winter.

I don't do that for any masochistic reasons but I live in a warm climate region so I enjoy a cold shower.

I take hot showers in Hotels when I'm traveling, especially after a day's drive when I travel by car.

I usually shower after my daily run. Regardless of the weather, I usually break a sweat, so I welcome the cold shower at the point.

Other times, I finish a hot shower with a few minutes cold, especially if I shave in the shower. I like how the cold water tightens my skin.

This is a holdover from my dissipated, misspent youth, but I've found no better way to get my head straight than a steamy hot shower ended with a full rinse with the water as cold as it will go. This time of year it runs about 44 F. Feels amazing.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I’ve been cold plunging lately. Started in the lake and now just use the tub because the ice is too thick and I don’t want someone accidentally wandering into my plunge hole.

No time for plunging this morning so I just finished my shower with cold water.

Top Bottom