What's new

Cold brew

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Trying it tomorrow morning. Directions say to cut it 50/50 with water. Does that mean that it's roughly the same strength as espresso?

I usually drink a double-shot of espresso cut with hot water. Americano.

How has this cold-brew method worked for those of you who have tried it?

Strong enough?

Acid reduction as advertised?

I plan to cut it 50/50 and nuke it for the mornings. I like hot coffee.

Thanks

I don't know why but cold brew has just never done it for me. I don't know if it's in my head or what but I just don't seem to get the buzz from it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I don't know why but cold brew has just never done it for me. I don't know if it's in my head or what but I just don't seem to get the buzz from it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Interesting since all that I've read says cold brew has MORE caffeine per ounce. But then you cut it...

Last edited:
You can make it as strong or as mild as you prefer. I wouldn't recommend not diluting; it's quite strong. I've used about a 1/4 or 1/3 cup per mug. It is certainly less acidic. Enjoy it; it's delicious, IMO.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Not too shabby. I may need to try another type of filter. I can sort of taste the paper??? I had considered using one of those permanent filters but not sure if all of the fines would offset the acid reduction.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Tried another filter. Much better. Grind was about a 'medium' rather than the 'fine' that was done yesterday. Good flavor but it may be muted a little.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
When I make it, it usually has a ton of fine particles left. More so than a normal French press. Lately I prefer a Japanese Iced Coffee. It has more of a full coffee flavor, acidity and all, and is easy to do when you know how to make pour over.

I don't know about the strength vs espresso, but if I recall correctly, cold brewing is making a coffee concentrate. Using double the amount of coffee beans to cold water vs hot brew methods. I would dilute the coffee concentrate. Cold brewing gives coffee a sweeter taste, and can help bring out chocolate notes more so than if the coffee was brewed hot. I have found that the Japanese flash brew method makes better tasting iced coffee. The following website show you how to flash brew: Brewing Guide: Iced Coffee

I've recently started doing this. I grind the beans somewhere between French Press and Drip (22-23 on my Baratza). I add water at 4.5 times the coffee's weight (e.g. 45 grams water to 10 grams coffee), mix with a spoon, cover and let sit at room temperature for 12-14 hours. I will then filter the mix through a standard paper filter or a gold cone. This will give you a concentrate that I dilute by adding 2/3 cup water to every 1/3 cup of the concentrate. Acidity is dramatically lower. Diluted, caffeination seems pretty normal. Please note that the coffee grounds absorb about half of the water, so your volume of concentrate at the end will be about 40% of the water you put in to start.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Thanks for the tips. I'm not a big fan of iced coffee. They say this brew method also works for iced coffee if you like that type of coffee.

I believe that you should try it a few times and see if you like it.

If you are looking for lower acidity you may also want research the Aeropress. The inventor claimed that following his directions (which included reducing the hot water temperature) reduced acidity, though I do not think many people follow the official brew instructions.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have and really like the aeropress. Never tried lower temps. May check it out. Thanks.

Thinking outloud......

I do remember running a pot of water through the Bunn one time without turning it on.

Pretty good ice coffee from what I remember

Reviving thread.
Took about twice the amount of pre-ground peaberry (Arabica/Robusta blend from local artisanal supplier) that I'd have used in my moka pot.
Shook with room temperature carbon filtered UV treated water from over kitchen sink water purifier.
Left overnight just next to refrigerator (its warmer there) in covered tall, narrow glass vessel .
Sediment collects at the bottom of vessel in the morning.
Decanted/poured off into small pan leaving about half inch of liquid above sediment.
No need to use filter.
Added full cream milk & heated on stove.
Sweetened, poured into mug.
Drank.

Top Bottom