What's new

Cold Brew newbie here

I have done cold brewed coffee probably 50 or so times. I use two quart jars. I put the ground coffee and water in one and let it sit in the fridge for at least a day. Then I use a funnel and coffee filter and pour it into the second jar and it sits in the fridge. I then get three good cups of coffee out of it. I have done a lot of coffee styles and rotate through. I will do drip, french press, cold. I will do bullettproof coffee, black, with cream, or with baileys.

What's a bulletproof coffee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did a little search and found the brewer my father used to use..
It's the Filtron...he was using this back when I was in college so at least 40 years ago.....
He brewed a concentrate. One shot of coffee to a mug of hot water was the recipe.
Smooth.. so smooth I found it boring.. :001_rolle not enough of a buzz...

I put some coffee, coconut oil, and caramel syrup in my silver bullet blender. My result is a thick creamy, coffee, goodness that helps me full more full and keeps me from snacking on sugar and other free carbs at school. Bulletproof Coffee - Wikipedia
Nice, will try it out this weekend!

I just did a little search and found the brewer my father used to use..
It's the Filtron...he was using this back when I was in college so at least 40 years ago.....
He brewed a concentrate. One shot of coffee to a mug of hot water was the recipe.
Smooth.. so smooth I found it boring.. :001_rolle not enough of a buzz...
Yes i agree the buzz is a bit less for people who like caffeine shots, but guess for people who like to have 3-4 cups of coffee a day, cold brew is a nice option since it has less acidity at least.

We've been cold brewing here since before it was cool, long before starbucks even thought of it ;) We have a local coffee shop that makes some of the best I've had however because it is a mixture of three different beans and he makes/mixes per batch so he won't sell it. He did give me a few tips and over time of experimenting with different beans and length for brew we hit on something both my wife and I enjoy year round. One tip he said was to use medium roast beans and after trying several medium and dark roast beans, I have found for our taste that medium produce the best. Also having tried several medium roasts from all different roasters, that Starbucks Kenya makes our preferred cold brew. I have a toddy pot, but have improvised with a french press while traveling. For the toddy, I use 2.5 cups (level) of whole bean Kenya, grind in my baratza encore on 25 (if you have them grind ask for french press grind) and then add 48oz of good water (I have an RO system) and place in the fridge for 24 hours or longer. I've had it sit for as long as 2 days and it seems to make it more like a concentrate where you might want to add water.

I tried a couple of different roast beans and i too feel that medium ones were really good for the cold brew, somehow hits the sweet spot !

For health reasons I drink nothing but cold brew at home. And having less acid is exactly what I need. The best method I have used so far is using the "coffee sock", using a couple more ounces of coffee per gallon then they call for. I received a 1 and 2 gallon size for Christmas. I find that using 2/3 to 3/4 medium dark roast with the remaining being French or Italian roast to give me really good flavor.

Cheers,

Moe

That's the same Hario cold brew maker I have been using for the last few years. Recently I tried Trader Joes dark roast and really like it. Use to go to the local farmers market and there was a guy who sold cold brew. I would buy 2 gallons every week. I had to find another option for the summer when I go north and don't want to drive 50 miles one way to get my fix. That when I got the Hario. Make one everyday and keep it gallon jars in the fridge.

Haven't been back to the market since.

It's about time for me to start cold brewing again. I just do it overnight in my French press. All I do different is use 8 scoops of coffee instead of 7 when I brew it hot.

This ^^^. Simple and good. As far as a coffee roaster in Dallas area, I have had good luck with Coffee del Rey roasters in Plano. Very small batches and very knowledgeable folks.

This ^^^. Simple and good. As far as a coffee roaster in Dallas area, I have had good luck with Coffee del Rey roasters in Plano. Very small batches and very knowledgeable folks.
Hey thanks will check them out. Near my office i found Addison Coffee Roasters, i bought around 4 pounds of two different roasts and have been impressed.

The Mrs and I have cold brewed since the early 2000s. We use the Toddy system and, although we've experimented with a variety of coffees, get the best results with New Orleans-style, dark roast-and-chicory blends (usually canned in 85:15 ratio)—e.g., Café du Monde, CDM (actually a competitor to Café du Monde, despite the devious initials), French Market. The added chicory gives the cold-brewed concentrate a thicker, oilier texture (especially when refrigerated). I drink a coffee concentrate on ice with heavy cream every morning.

The Mrs and I have cold brewed since the early 2000s. We use the Toddy system and, although we've experimented with a variety of coffees, get the best results with New Orleans-style, dark roast-and-chicory blends (usually canned in 85:15 ratio)—e.g., Café du Monde, CDM (actually a competitor to Café du Monde, despite the devious initials), French Market. The added chicory gives the cold-brewed concentrate a thicker, oilier texture (especially when refrigerated). I drink a coffee concentrate on ice with heavy cream every morning.
That's great, the heavy cream advice I have heard a lot but yet to try, probably will try this weekend. Where do you buy the coffee?

That's great, the heavy cream advice I have heard a lot but yet to try, probably will try this weekend. Where do you buy the coffee?

Amazon sells CDM in four-can packs that can be purchased individually or, as the Mrs and I do it, are sent regularly via Subscribe-and-Save.

I love the flavor of cold brew. Are there grocery stores nearby that have grinders? If so, set it to Coarse, and grind away. No need for expensive beans. I'm quite satisfied with D&D or Eight O'Clock. Enjoy! :001_smile

I visited Sprouts yesterday and looked around. Some decent options there but I have heard that Whole Foods will have some better options. Anyone tried from them yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom