What's new

Cold Brew Coffee

Trying something a little different today. I wanted to make a bigger batch so I put it in my Mr. Coffee Carafe. 200g of coffee to 1500g of water. I also bloomed the coffee with some Hot water for 30 seconds before cooling the water back down. I will report back with results.

Buying some Yirgacheffe beans the other day the vendor mentioned it made a nice cold brew and it being nasty hot here the last little bit decided o try making for the first time.

Instructions i followed suggested 28g beans per cup of water. I ground 56g of the beans in a Skerton mill then put those in a quart mason jar poured in two cups of refrigerated Brita water left it in the fridge for 16 hours then filter.

Two stage filter, Melita cone and paper filter with a fine mesh sieve set above. The sieve caught most of the grounds the paper any fines.

Recipe said to cut the concentrate with equal parts water but we went with it uncut over ice, i added simple syrup to mine, my wife added the syrup as well as milk. I found it a bit weak but very tasty, smooth. My wife thought it was just right.

My regular coffee at home is 28g of beans through an Aeropress with only half a cup of water. If i'm out somewhere i just about always order an espresso. My wife's Aeropress method is more random with maybe 28g beans to 10 fl oz. water.

Will continue to play with this, was a nice change.
IMG_0688.JPG
file-12.jpeg
file1-5.jpeg
file2-5.jpeg

dave

Instructions i followed suggested 28g beans per cup of water. I ground 56g of the beans in a Skerton mill then put those in a quart mason jar poured in two cups of refrigerated Brita water left it in the fridge for 16 hours then filter.

Recipe said to cut the concentrate with equal parts water but we went with it uncut over ice, i added simple syrup to mine, my wife added the syrup as well as milk. I found it a bit weak but very tasty, smooth. My wife thought it was just right.

Try steeping it a bit longer. I never steep less than 24 hours, and with lighter roasts, I will go up to 48. I never cut mine with water, but rarely will add some milk.

48 hour cold brew. I have to try that! Over the years I’ve worked my way up from a 8 hour brew to a 24 hour brew (the 24 hour brew was an accidental discovery). Thanks.

Try steeping it a bit longer. I never steep less than 24 hours, and with lighter roasts, I will go up to 48. I never cut mine with water, but rarely will add some milk.

Thanks for the info! Since the first one have done a couple more jars with the same ratio but other dark roasts and times up to 24 hours, very much enjoying the results. Also bought a can of Vietnamese Sweetened Condensed milk, real nice addition, decadent.

dave

090B1DAF-26FD-482A-94F5-0BFF358E1264.jpeg
Thanks for the info! Since the first one have done a couple more jars with the same ratio but other dark roasts and times up to 24 hours, very much enjoying the results. Also bought a can of Vietnamese Sweetened Condensed milk, real nice addition, decadent.

dave

Wow! You must have some tolerance to caffeine and an iron stomach. Do you find the longer the brew, the higher the caffeine?

Wow! You must have some tolerance to caffeine and an iron stomach. Do you find the longer the brew, the higher the caffeine?

No stronger than a cup of espresso, just a different flavor profile from the roast. You are making coffee concentrate, so just like making Americano with espresso, you can cut it down to be a regularish cup of coffee, or you can drink it straight in a smaller dose. I can't say I notice much on the caffeine content unless I up the quantity I drink, or use an over-caffeinated blend. It's all about perspective on "serving size".

Depending on the roast you are using 40+ hours might be too long, but looking forward to your reports!
It’s not really much better than a 24 hour cold brew. I typically use a medium roast. If we didn’t drink so much coffee I’d exclusively buy stumptown beans, but too expensive.

Top Bottom