What's new

Cold Brew Coffee

I'd never bad cold brew coffee until last July when I visited NYC. I had it at a few different places and loved it, I'm going to try and make it this summer. Starbucks over here have started making it but stuff never seems as good over here.
[MENTION=67791]wazza[/MENTION]

That's excellent.. Starbucks will teach you everything you don't want to do.. and how you don't want your coffee to taste....

Hario, Oxo, Toddy.... all excellent cold brewers depending upon your quantity of compunction and consumption.

I was offered a taste of a cold brew last summer. It was made as a very strong coffee in a press after steeping overnight and then refrigerated. Served in a long glass with tonic water- delicious.

[MENTION=85180]domzals1[/MENTION]
I chickened out on buying the large can of Chock Full.... not that expensive at $6 but it seemed like a lot of coffee gong to waste if it didn't work for me....

So I picked "Cafe Bustelo" a multi-lingual espresso ground coffee. Only $3.

I'm starting a pot this morning in anticipation of the temps getting over 20 Celsius this week... I've given up on SunTea; haven't seen the sun for two weeks....

@wazza

That's excellent.. Starbucks will teach you everything you don't want to do.. and how you don't want your coffee to taste....

Hario, Oxo, Toddy.... all excellent cold brewers depending upon your quantity of compunction and consumption.

Thats why I havn't bought one over here, don't want to ruin the memory of those lovely brews in NYC.

Thanks for the reccomendations, never seen such a device, definately something I will get in the future.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Alright--a quick report of my cold brew test batch.

It came out pretty good, but it lacked the richness that I recall from the cold brew concentrate I had at the in-laws'. I diluted the concentrate at 1:1, and that was a little weak for me. Now, I like a strong cup, so that may be part of my problem, but the undiluted concentrate still was weaker than I recall. I'll see about trying again and giving it a good 24 hours or so. The first try only steeped for about 13 hours.

I'll add more coffee if I must, but I'd rather get what I want from a longer steep, if possible.

Does anyone have any other tips or advice?

I tried the Cafe Bustelo in my Hario Cold Brewer.
Filled the basket with 3 heaping scoops of coffee then poured water over it to mix and soak it;
then 2 more scoops and the same with the water.
Filled the jar with water poured through the coffee.

Steeped for 24 hours in the fridge.
It took 2 shots of concentrate to 6 OZ of hot water to give me a decent cup.

I think I'll try making ice cubes from the concentrate for iced coffee so I don't dilute the mix too much.

After I finish this can of Bustelo, I'll pop for the Chock Full with a coarser grind next.

This is the Hario. $hario-cold-brew-brown-coffee-pot-small-mcpn-7cbr-600ml_1.jpg

[MENTION=103776]YKMV[/MENTION] understandable if the only size at your local supermarket are the 26 or 48 oz sizes. I was able to pick up the 11.3 oz size originally. I actually still fill that small size with coffee from the 48oz mega can, as it takes up much less space in the coffee cabinet. The mega can lives in the bottom of the pantry [emoji1303]

Alright--a quick report of my cold brew test batch.

It came out pretty good, but it lacked the richness that I recall from the cold brew concentrate I had at the in-laws'. I diluted the concentrate at 1:1, and that was a little weak for me. Now, I like a strong cup, so that may be part of my problem, but the undiluted concentrate still was weaker than I recall. I'll see about trying again and giving it a good 24 hours or so. The first try only steeped for about 13 hours.

I'll add more coffee if I must, but I'd rather get what I want from a longer steep, if possible.

Does anyone have any other tips or advice?

Maybe try upping the amount of beans to water ratio. Also, dark roasts tend to taste better, IMHO.

Been doing cold brew for some time now, started using a French press but went to a toddy shortly after. Mainly because my wife and I both drink it and we drink it a lot, all year round. When I got into cold brewing over previous methods, the gent that owns a local coffee shop that makes a great cold brew and nitro recommended medium roasts. I experimented with a few and I found a couple of the Kenya and Kenya AA roasts make the best and believe it or not, Starbucks Kenya is our preferred bean. In the toddy, I put 3 cups of ground (25 on my Encore) and 48 oz of RO water and place in the fridge for 24 hours. The toddy pitcher has a nice press fit cap but I also have several 32oz growlers I use. I just brought 5 of them on our OBX trip. If you use the toddy pitcher, growler or other sealed type container, your cold brew will last about two weeks and still taste just as fresh as the day you made it, IMO. Also I have made cubes with my cold brew and it is nice, doesn't water it down at then.

Haven't done any formal cold brewing but thinking I'll need to for this weekend. Gonna be another hot, humid one in Chicago.

I did do some Japanese-style iced coffee brewing last Sunday to try and battle my jet lag. 22g of coffee with 286g of water, brewed in the Clever and then emptied over a glass full of ice. It was delightfully refreshing.

proxy.php

You should try the DIY, you'll like it better :)

RJ - Chicago
Posted from my phone, please forgive typos.

All very new to me. The gal behind the counter said it takes twelve hours. Is she pulling my leg?
She may have pulled your leg, but 12-24 hours is par for the course. (Insert eye roll emoji here.)

The flavor is very different because the grounds are never exposed to heat.

RJ - Chicago
Posted from my phone, please forgive typos.

Top Bottom