What's new

Cold Brew Coffee

Good link, Tony. I like to think of it as making iced tea vs. hot tea. Just takes longer for those flavors to come out without the extra heat.

Cold brew coffee
Labor Day weekend is coming up and it’s one of our last chances to get down to the shore (or “down the shore,” as we say in Philly). For the last beach trip of the summer, you’ll want to make an epic, awesome cold brew to bring. We started one this morning and thought we’d share some tips!

1. Pick your coffee. We grabbed our Colombian San Roque. With notes of chocolate and cherry cola, we’ve been dying to try this as a cold brew. Whatever coffee you use, grind it pretty course, like sea salt.

1. Next we grabbed a couple of large Ball jars. You can cold brew in a French press too, but in a pinch, pretty much any containers will work. Fill up one of the jars with 700 grams of water.

1. Pour 100 grams of coffee into the other jar. We’re using a 7:1 water to coffee ratio here, but play around with the ratio to figure out your own taste! Some of our coffee crew likes to do their cold brew at 5:1. 3cups of water at 7/1

1. Pour the water into the jar with the coffee, making sure all the grounds get wet. Now it’s time to let the brew hang out. No need to stir it or refrigerate it, just cover the jar, leave it on your counter, and go to work.

1. After 12-16 hours, it’s time to filter that baby! Take a filter (we used a Chemex filter but you can use thick cloth, cheese cloth, etc.) and attach it to the top of the empty jar. Pour the brew through the filter slowly. You might have to stop and unclog or change your filter.
Then pop that thing in the fridge and let it chill! Start it tonight and you’ll have a delicious Colombian cold brew to last you the long weekend.
*Pro Tip: Do a hot bloom! Pour 200 grams of almost-boiling water over the grounds first to let the coffee get a head start on extracting, then pour in 500 grams of cold water and let it brew for 12 hours

Cold brew coffee
Labor Day weekend is coming up and it’s one of our last chances to get down to the shore (or “down the shore,” as we say in Philly). For the last beach trip of the summer, you’ll want to make an epic, awesome cold brew to bring. We started one this morning and thought we’d share some tips!

1. Pick your coffee. We grabbed our Colombian San Roque. With notes of chocolate and cherry cola, we’ve been dying to try this as a cold brew. Whatever coffee you use, grind it pretty course, like sea salt.

1. Next we grabbed a couple of large Ball jars. You can cold brew in a French press too, but in a pinch, pretty much any containers will work. Fill up one of the jars with 700 grams of water.

1. Pour 100 grams of coffee into the other jar. We’re using a 7:1 water to coffee ratio here, but play around with the ratio to figure out your own taste! Some of our coffee crew likes to do their cold brew at 5:1. 3cups of water at 7/1

1. Pour the water into the jar with the coffee, making sure all the grounds get wet. Now it’s time to let the brew hang out. No need to stir it or refrigerate it, just cover the jar, leave it on your counter, and go to work.

1. After 12-16 hours, it’s time to filter that baby! Take a filter (we used a Chemex filter but you can use thick cloth, cheese cloth, etc.) and attach it to the top of the empty jar. Pour the brew through the filter slowly. You might have to stop and unclog or change your filter.
Then pop that thing in the fridge and let it chill! Start it tonight and you’ll have a delicious Colombian cold brew to last you the long weekend.
*Pro Tip: Do a hot bloom! Pour 200 grams of almost-boiling water over the grounds first to let the coffee get a head start on extracting, then pour in 500 grams of cold water and let it brew for 12 hours

Beautiful.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm a-gonna merge the two threads, gents. At first, we pretty much had one about tasting the stuff and one about making the stuff, but it seems we're converging.

By the way, I'll continue messing around with some cold brewed coffee soon, I expect.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Near record highs for the next couple of days, so my 1st attempt at Cold brew coffee. 1 part coffee and 4 parts water in the fridge over night. Filter in a French press and put back in the cleaned container. It's really good.

Doing this at work, ignore the proctor silex.[emoji16]
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Never made my own cold brew. However, being in southern Utah, it should hit 100 degrees here pretty soon. I drink Japanese style iced coffee almost everyday. This might be a nice change of pace.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Never made my own cold brew. However, being in southern Utah, it should hit 100 degrees here pretty soon. I drink Japanese style iced coffee almost everyday. This might be a nice change of pace.
I am not familiar with Japanes style. How do you make it?

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Personally, I make it with 8 Oz of Ice Cubes, 8 Oz of Hot Water, and 1 Oz of ground coffee through a Melitta pour over cone. My preferred way to brew/drink coffee.

Attachments

• 20180504_074106.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9
i can’t be the only one going through cold brew at the rate of 3-4 pints a week.

My meathid is simple. About 8 scoops of fresh, corarse grind into the French press. Next pour over cold filter water and leave it alone. (But set the stopwatch) In an hour or so, I’ll gently turn the coffee after it blooms— I never stir.

I like to have I brew at least 17 hours. One ever I forgot, it went 24 hours and was glorious (and very highly caffeinated)

I usually make mine with 100g of Coffee to 800g of water for roughly 10-12 hours. Made a simple syrup today to add to it. It made it extra smooth.

i can’t be the only one going through cold brew at the rate of 3-4 pints a week.

My meathid is simple. About 8 scoops of fresh, corarse grind into the French press. Next pour over cold filter water and leave it alone. (But set the stopwatch) In an hour or so, I’ll gently turn the coffee after it blooms— I never stir.

I like to have I brew at least 17 hours. One ever I forgot, it went 24 hours and was glorious (and very highly caffeinated)
Good lord, the typos. Sorry

I’m making another batch now. In an hour or a few I’ll use a spoon to gently turn the grounds over and leave it alone on the counter for 17+ hours. I have some left in my fridge.
3A231ACE-0529-4C2A-9FCB-2A02C1543A1A.jpeg
F961DCDB-1C12-437D-B368-8BE17EA144A3.jpeg

I usually make mine with 100g of Coffee to 800g of water for roughly 10-12 hours. Made a simple syrup today to add to it. It made it extra smooth.
Try it for longer. See how you like it. I initially did an overnight then upped it. Be careful, however, the longer the brew time the more caffeinated the cold brew.

Has anyone played with temperature to see how that affects the taste? For instance I have read about people using warm water or even hot water from the tap. I have tried over night and 24 hour long brewing in the fridge, and while it was fine I like hot brewing much more. I have thought about experimenting with hot tap water or something a little higher like 50 degree C just to see what happens.

Top Bottom