What's new

Cold Brew Coffee

When the temperature rises and it gets warm outside, I find myself making cold brew coffee. I normally use the Costco brand Sumatra beans and grind them on med/large grind. I add 4 oz of grounds to a french press and add 20 oz of cold water to my french press and put it in the fridge to slowly brew for 24 hours.

Anyone else like cold brew coffee in the warm months and what is your brewing process?

I was experimenting with cold brewing coffee and today actually I got superb results.

I grinded about 35gr of Baristot beans to which I added 120gr of water. I gave it a good stir and let it sit overnight at room temperature, about 12 hours.

I used a cloth to filter the coffee as weel as squeezing the soaked grinds. The squeeze is what gave it the real "oompff". My previous attempts didn't include this step (didnt have a cloth) and the results where mediocre.

I ended up with two 50ml servings. To each serving I added 100ml of heated Milk (Vitaryz almond mill) and a bit of sweetner.

My wife agreed with me that it reminded chocolate liquor.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've had limited experience with cold brewed coffee, but it's been good experience. My in-laws were using a Toddy for a while to cut down on the acidity of their coffee, and they were loving it. I ought to check in with them to see if they still do.

This weekend, I got to try more coffee that I believe was cold brewed. At the very least, it was served cold. It was magnificent, and it got me to thinking about cold coffee again.

I'm not big on iced coffee, but I want to mess around with cold brewing a bit. That was some tasty stuff. I don't mind drinking hot drinks in hot weather, but the flavor of the cold brew stuff was amazing--very full and deep.

Does anyone else have any experience, good or bad, with cold brewed coffee?

I've done cold brew before. I used to have a Hario one, but got meh results. I've also used an Aeropress to make some, with decent results.

That said, I just ordered the Oxo cold brew coffee maker. I've heard good things about it, and that it's easy to clean.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've thought about just doing an overnight batch in my French press and seeing how that turns out. As soon as I can remember to set it up in the evening, I'll let y'all know how that works out.

Poking around, many folks encourage a larger batch so that you don't have to do it very often. However, I get a little concerned about quality degradation if I've leaving it lying around for days. Seems wrong. In any case, if the only inconvenience is grinding coffee and cleaning the French press, then I'm not at all concerned.

I've done cold brew before. I used to have a Hario one, but got meh results. I've also used an Aeropress to make some, with decent results.

That said, I just ordered the Oxo cold brew coffee maker. I've heard good things about it, and that it's easy to clean.

I'll be interested to hear whether you like to Oxo cold brew coffee maker?

I normally grind 4 oz of Sumatra coffee beans and add to a 20 oz french press and let set at room temperature for 24 hours and then pour thru a coffee filter into a Mason Jar for storage. Its been great and tastes like coffee icecream after I add a little half and half. I'm still messing with the bean to water ratio but its a nice change during the summer.

We got a Toddy last Xmas from a friend of my wife and have never looked back. It's so nice to have the concentrate right there in the fridge when you want it. Also, the reduction in acidity is much easier on the stomach.

I have a Hario Cold Brew Pot. I've only used it a couple of time and was not impressed with the coffee but I put that issue down to Operator Failure.....

I think the biggest problem I have here is finding good beans at a reasonable price.

The Commissary carries all the usual Folgers, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks junk but they also have Chock full o' nuts and Eight O'Clock and a few others.

On the economy I can get Illy, Eduscho, Tchibo, Dallmayer and others...

What do you recommend as a starting point?

Espresso?
Dark or Light Roast?
or what?

I have a Hario Cold Brew Pot. I've only used it a couple of time and was not impressed with the coffee but I put that issue down to Operator Failure.....

I think the biggest problem I have here is finding good beans at a reasonable price.

The Commissary carries all the usual Folgers, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks junk but they also have Chock full o' nuts and Eight O'Clock and a few others.

Espresso?
Dark or Light Roast?
or what?

I normally buy the Sumatra (Dark Roast) from Costco and find them a great value.

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...offee-3-lb.-Bag-2-pack.product.100039945.html

I'll be interested to hear whether you like to Oxo cold brew coffee maker?

I normally grind 4 oz of Sumatra coffee beans and add to a 20 oz french press and let set at room temperature for 24 hours and then pour thru a coffee filter into a Mason Jar for storage. Its been great and tastes like coffee icecream after I add a little half and half. I'm still messing with the bean to water ratio but its a nice change during the summer.

It just came this morning, so I made up a batch to have for tomorrow.

Preparation was easy. Ground up around 10 oz of beans, threw them in the brewer, and then added 5 cups of water in a circular motion on the "rainmaker" top. Stirred the bloom after 10 minutes, and left it on my counter for tomorrow morning.

Assuming the beans suck up half of the water, that leaves 2.5 cups of concentrated coffee. They say the ratio to dilute the concentrate with is between 1:2 or 1:3 (i.e. concentrate:water/milk/cream/ice/etc). So, hypothetically, you'll yield at least 5 cups worth of cold brew. They claim it'll hold in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, I believe.

I'll report back tomorrow with how it actually tastes.

It just came this morning, so I made up a batch to have for tomorrow.

Preparation was easy. Ground up around 10 oz of beans, threw them in the brewer, and then added 5 cups of water in a circular motion on the "rainmaker" top. Stirred the bloom after 10 minutes, and left it on my counter for tomorrow morning.

Assuming the beans suck up half of the water, that leaves 2.5 cups of concentrated coffee. They say the ratio to dilute the concentrate with is between 1:2 or 1:3 (i.e. concentrate:water/milk/cream/ice/etc). So, hypothetically, you'll yield at least 5 cups worth of cold brew. They claim it'll hold in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, I believe.

I'll report back tomorrow with how it actually tastes.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your opinion. I saw that it receive very good reviews on Amazon and placed one in my cart. I also read that the paper filter makes a big difference in taste as well.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your opinion. I saw that it receive very good reviews on Amazon and placed one in my cart. I also read that the paper filter makes a big difference in taste as well.

I forgot to mention that. I doubled up the mesh filter with the paper filter, to make sure that I got the finer grinds out.

I'm 90% sure that the Aeropress paper filters would also work. So, if you have a bunch of those lying around, they should also work with the Oxo.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'll probably not worry about the fines when I make it first make it. We like 'em. Of course, I'll have to try it both ways.

I very much enjoy Chock Full and believe it blows all other pre-ground 'grocery store' coffee out of the water. When we have visitors or are brewing the 12c Mr. Coffee, I always use the Chock Full and am never disappointed. I've even thrown some grounds into my Aeropress and Clever dripper and enjoyed the results. Is it as good as fresh ground? Of course not. But I find it extremely drinkable and always have a can in the pantry.

[MENTION=85180]domzals1[/MENTION]

Thanks for that quick recommendation.

I've never tried Chock Full but I've heard it is good and I know it's been around a few (buncha) years.

I'll get some and try it in the next day or so.

So, I tried a 1:1 concentrate to milk ratio, topped off with ice. It's good, but a teeny bit strong. I added a little bit of water until I got my desired taste.

Zero bitterness, good flavor, and it yielded 3 cups worth of concentrate. The only annoying thing is that it takes a while for it to drip... like 20 minutes or so. So, I just stared at it for a while, craving caffeine. On the bright side, I now have a decent amount of concentrate, so I don't have to brew more coffee until it's all used up.

Last edited:
I'd never bad cold brew coffee until last July when I visited NYC. I had it at a few different places and loved it, I'm going to try and make it this summer. Starbucks over here have started making it but stuff never seems as good over here.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Alright. I set up a little test batch. 4 oz. of ground coffee with right about 3 cups of water. Let's see what we have in the morning.

Top Bottom