What's new

Col. Conk or Ogallala glycerine soap

Which glycerine soap to try?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm about due to place an order and decided to finally try a glycerine soap.

The vendor I'll be using (Fendrihan) has many varieties of Col.Conk and Ogallala.

Which of the two would you suggest?

Never tried Ogallala, but love the Col. Conk bay rum and the lime. They are decent performing soaps and I think they smell great.

Ogallala. I'm a bay rum fan. In 9 years of wetshaving, Conk Bay Rum remains the only shave soap that was tossed after one use. IMO, Conk had the worst scent and performance of any soap or cream tried. While I love the scent of Ogallala (and the scent of clove), it's performance is average and nowhere near a tallow soap like Harris or Stirling or a soft soap like Captain's Choice. Another plus of Ogallala is that, if you don't like the performance, it makes a great shower soap. I even keep an Ogallala shave puck on hand for use in the shower as a clove fix. Due to the scent, Conk wasn't even deemed shower worthy.

I use Col. Conk it doesn't get a lot of love, but it is serviceable. The newer line from them called the Natural Line I find very good looks like this

proxy.php

I would also recommend looking at Mama Bear's Glycerin soaps

Yeah I only have experience with Conk and MamaBear glycerin soaps, and I can't imagine a glycerin soap could be better than Mama Bear. I'm a tallow user through and through but the Mama Bear is as good as it gets, tallow or not.
EDIT I should add that I've also used Van Der Hagen glycerin, which is better than Conk but well below Mama Bear.

I use Col. Conk it doesn't get a lot of love, but it is serviceable. The newer line from them called the Natural Line I find very good looks like this

proxy.php

I would also recommend looking at Mama Bear's Glycerin soaps
The new Col. Conk soaps are good, I have the Santa Fe Ceder and it has a nice scent. Mama Bear makes great soaps. Rosemary Mint is my favorite.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I know Mamabear has great soap to offer, but for this order I got to keep it limited to Fendrihan's offerings to qualify for free shipping.

I know Mamabear has great soap to offer, but for this order I got to keep it limited to Fendrihan's offerings to qualify for free shipping.
Sorry... Let me say then only that I found Conk serviceable, but it wasn't a product I would purchase again if I had other options available. I tried the bay rum and the amber, and used both pucks until they broke into pieces at the bottom of the mug, so I guess I finished them completely. For lack of eloquence let me say they were "meh."

Glycerine soaps are OK. A bit tricky to get hydrated properly, they lather easily and it's easy to get dry, hard foam instead of slick lather. Not bad when you get the water right, but I'll never get any more of them.

Good for beginners as they are not "cranky" to lather, but Haslinger or any of my own soaps are vastly better. So is Williams, in spite of the iffy lather. All the others give better slickness and better face feel.

I own but have not tried Ogalalla Bay Rum and Sandalwood. I've used Conk Amber and Lime - nice scents, adequate lather, but nothing compared to mine.

Ogallala Bay Rum is way too strong. Even before opening the box the scent overpowered everything in the bathroom. Most objectionable was the overpowering clove note. The clove completely overpowed any of the other Bay Rum notes. Lathering wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. Col Conk lathers better.

I have 15 soaps in use at the moment including some relatively expensive ones, and Col Conk Bay Rum is still one of the "go to" soaps. For it's price range it works very well. It's not Mitchel's Wool Fat, but it is about a third the cost.

I don't care for Col Conk Lime, but the Bay Rum, Almond (which I shaved with this morning), and Amber all have enjoyable scents. Bay Rum is my favorite of the three.

I like Ogallala. I have the shave stick. And while it contains glycerin, I don't considered a "true" glycerin soap. By that I mean, where glycerin is the main ingredient. Not sure where you live, WalterK, but a glycerin soap I do enjoy is Van Der Hagen, which I can find in local drug stores and grocery stores.

My favorite bay rum is Ogallala. I like a big, in your face style. Glycerin soaps are OK, lots of nose thumbing at them here, but the few I've used worked about as well as most of the other soaps I have. BarBerry Coast has a very nice glycerin bay rum soap.

Thank you for all the replies.

Just to clarify that I've already tried a bunch of soaps* and can attest to the greatness of tallow soap (Tabac is my favorite thus far). I just like experimenting with different types of soap and glycerine was next on the list.

Also, I'm in Canada and a $10 USD soap shipped to Canada with the exchange rate and possible brokerage fees and taxes often balloons the price to over $30 CAD. But luckily we have quite a few Canadian retailers which help on that front.

*soaps tried so far (excluding decades of various canned foams): Williams, Wilkinson-Sword tub, Proraso: green(tube+tub)-white(tub)- blue(tube)-red(tube), Cella, LaToja, Palmolive stick, Speik, Nivea, Tabac, Cremo-Cream (have but not tried yet), and possibly a few others that have slipped my mind.

You should purchase some of the Canadian soaps available, First Canadian and some others
I've seen on the forums, but can't think of names right off hand. Also check out Maggards as
I believe that they may offer good international shipping rates.

... Also check out Maggards as
I believe that they may offer good international shipping rates.

Thanks for that suggestion, their rates were much lower than other places (who often charge more than the soap).

Still interested in Conk and Ogallala as they were all the rage a few years ago. I doubt they will beat Tabac, but hey I might end up being one of those people who like glycerine soaps better.

(PS... went back to the plain color text as I think the blue one made it look as I was shouting:001_smile)

Hi,

I've used Col Conk and I'm currently working on Ogallala Bay rum. Though it's been a while since I've had some Conk around. I should try the new Conk Natural line.

For scent I prefer the bigger, bolder Ogallala over Conk. Conk is much milder and doesn't last.

As far as lather goes, both will give good, but not wildly great shaves. I have very soft water, (water softener), so I can get lather from nearly any soap. I give a slight edge to Ogallala again. But not by much. Both are better than Van Der Hagan for me.

Over all, I find I prefer tallow soaps over glycerin soaps. But glycerin soaps are good too.

Top Bottom