What's new

Col. Conk -Bayrum

I was gifted this soap today. Never used it before. My question is- Is this a latherless soap? I tried and it wouldn't produce a lather. Never have had a soap that I couldn't work up a good lather. Need your info. Thanks David

Never tried the Bay Rum.
The Amber is a great soap and it works best filling your mug(with soap in it) with hot water and drop your brush in for about 1 minute.
Take brush out hold upside down while dumping the water from the mug. Light shake - make lather.

Excellent scent, great soap.
What worked well for me was to treat it like Williams:I would soak the puck while I showered, then I would drain it and I would load the brush like I hated it.
Great lather, just a thirsty soap.
You'll love it.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I was gifted this soap today. Never used it before. My question is- Is this a latherless soap? I tried and it wouldn't produce a lather. Never have had a soap that I couldn't work up a good lather. Need your info. Thanks David
Did you take off the plastic wrapper? :001_tongu

Actually, there is a post/thread from many years ago where that was actually the case. Yes, fact is stranger than fiction.

What worked well for me was to treat it like Williams:I would soak the puck while I showered, then I would drain it and I would load the brush like I hated it.
You'll love it.
Did that.

I don't have a problem with it. The lather that I get won't be winning any awards for appearance, but it still does the job well enough. I don't think I've ever had a soap totally refuse to lather. Even Williams will foam up into something that technically falls into the category of "lather."

I have found Conk soaps pretty easy to lather. in fact, so easy you can get paste instead of slick lather! Soak your brush, shake out excess water (gently) and swirl it on the soap. It's a "glycerine" soap, meaning it's really a stearic acid soap with lots of glycerine added to make it melt easily. Should make good lather with little effort, even with horribly hard water like I have.

It's possible that it's quite dry the first time you use it, though, and it may absorb quite a bit of water with daily use. This will make it lather up faster-- and is the key to getting good lather from Williams, too.

I have found Conk soaps pretty easy to lather. in fact, so easy you can get paste instead of slick lather! Soak your brush, shake out excess water (gently) and swirl it on the soap. It's a "glycerine" soap, meaning it's really a stearic acid soap with lots of glycerine added to make it melt easily. Should make good lather with little effort, even with horribly hard water like I have.

It's possible that it's quite dry the first time you use it, though, and it may absorb quite a bit of water with daily use. This will make it lather up faster-- and is the key to getting good lather from Williams, too.
Thank you. This makes sense.

I never had a problem with it too, I soak the brush, remove the excess water and step on the soap, then make the foam in the bowl that should contain a little water (a dessert spoon approx). This is my method.
I like the essence.

You'll love it.
Thanks for the post reply. I did exactly what you and Rockviper said and got mounds of lather.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Woohoo! :jump:

Lots of great info in our old threads and wiki entries. The reward is often worth the hunt.

Last edited:
Thanks to all. I bloomed it in hot water, put my brush in the soak. Took a shower, then got my stiffest boar brush and loaded it like I hated it. Added plenty of water then boom, enough lather for 5 passes. Thanks again . This a great forum to be a part of. Oh by the way, got a great shave with my 1924 single edge.

Top Bottom