What's new

Col. Conk Bay Rum Soap Scent

Fit a recently purchased puck of Col. Conk Bay Rum shaving soap into an Old Spice shaving mug purchased at an antique store a decade ago.

As I have never used this soap before I felt obligated to do a test lather using a small Omega boar.

Very nice lather for a $2.50 puck. Actually surprisingly awesome.

It also smells more like Old Spice aftershave than it does Bay Rum.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I bought a small tub of the Colonel Conk a couple of years ago and I do have a large soap rotation so it still in there and I like to use it. My first bay rum soap and I would buy it again, it has good lather properties IMO with a mild scent that complements my stronger scented Bayrum Aftershave. Some folks knock this soap and it is a lot better than some other soaps & creams for post shave feel and is fairly inexpensive.(Bargain IMO)Shavers can very opinionated on certain products so as long as your happy that is all that matters.
If a person can not get a good lather from this soap he is doing something wrong IMO.
DE SOTD, Dec 10th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

I also have it and like it. It's a well-rounded, "soft" Bay Rum scent (as in, the clove or whatever doesn't reach out from your mug and punch you in the nose with an ungloved fist).

The aforementioned nascent suggestion of it as being an Old Spice soap alternative is provocative... subversive... compelling....

I did a quick 'n' dirty cold water 2-pass shave this evening with this soap using a Yaqi synth brush (22mm tuxedo bulb knot), my Timeless razor lather bowl, my el cheapo Sally Beauty TTO razor and a used once Astra Platinum blade. Soap was very easy to lather and very slick. I was genuinely surprised given the price point.

Can't remember where I read it but I read that glycerin based soaps lather well in hard water which we don't have here but that's good to know.

I will certainly consider the purchase of other Col. Conk soaps/products in the future.

The set of 4 Colonel Soaps are the 1st soaps I have had sent over from the US to my place more than 1 year ago. These soaps are very precious to me not only for that history but also because the performance is outstanding!!
I only use it sparingly hoping it'll last a long time... 😆 😆 so,
I decided to transfer all these soaps into a better container...pictures below show the before and after...
20201216_105617.jpg

I recently bought 3 pucks. Bay rum, lime and amber. I had bought a puck about 10 yrs ago. Didn't remember how it performed. I was reminded fondly of the scents, while not the best they are still pleasant.

I think the Col. makes quite a decent lather. I think it is way better than people give it credit for.

The set of 4 Colonel Soaps are the 1st soaps I have had sent over from the US to my place more than 1 year ago. These soaps are very precious to me not only for that history but also because the performance is outstanding!!
I only use it sparingly hoping it'll last a long time... 😆 😆 so,
I decided to transfer all these soaps into a better container...pictures below show the before and after...
View attachment 1195706
Those containers are AWESOME.

I didn't know that. When did this happen? Is the new formula the same base as before but with twice the scent? Or is it an altogether different base?
It started leaving my warehouse a couple of months ago to a few large online retailers. It been exclusively sold through my shop for the same amount of time.
Its has been tweaked in several categories. Think of it being the same base with added "boosters" if you will. Slickness, lather density, ease of lathering, post shave, and scent has all been dialed up.

Top Bottom