What's new

Cognac for Beginners.

Hello!

I have never had cognac before and have decided that I would like to try some.

I am thinking that since it is new to me, I will start out with something reasonably priced like a VS.

What are your thoughts on say the Remy VS or the Martell VS?

Brian

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Well, I've had the Martel, but not the Remy. The Martel is excellent. Lots of caramel tones, silky texture, very smooth. I suspect either would be a fine choice.

Bypass the VS level and head for VSOP

I see VS as being the bog standard blended scotch level (Bell's, Teacher's, Dewar's, Famous Grouse, Johnnie Walker Red, Grant's)

I don't know if it's available in the States but Chateau de Montifaud Fine Petite Champagne VSOP is a bargain in Europe and is superior IMHO to equivalent Remy, Courvoisier, Hennessy or Martell offerings

This is something that interests me as well.
I've had cognac and ginger ale and also cognac and soda both with a twist of lemon and find it nice and refreshing. However ,cognac on its own given it's price point is something that I've stayed away from. I've never been sure where to start.

Go to an upscale restaurant/bar with an upscale beverage program and ask to try different ones. Wife and I did it and tasted a flight of VS, VSOP, XO, and uber expensive vs modestly priced options. If you luck out and find a bartender who knows his stuff, they will be more than willing to walk you through it to see and sense the differences in price, finish, mouthfeel, and overall lingering of the flavor. Great way to try before you buy. Just need to find an upscale joint that serves after dinner drinks.

Well worth the cost, and a fun chance to sip drinks side by side. Not cheap, but not as costly as bottles.

I would start off with a VSOP. To truly enjoy a Cognac it is best to drink it neat or on the rocks. Remy VSOP is a good starter. A tad over priced but available everywhere.

You can also try an Armagnac. Its essentially brandy (like cognac) only from a different part of France and is only distilled once compare to Cognac which is distilled twice.

If you live near a Total Wine you can try Chabanneau VSOP. It will run you about $27 and is aged a minimuim of 4 years.

Remember this with aging on Cognac:

VS= Very Special aged min 2 years
VSOP=Very Superior Old Pale min aged min 4 years
XO=Extra Old aged min 6 years-20+years

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Brian:
H by Hine Cognac (online for about $45), is my favorite (did you know that this Cognac was Sir Winston Churchill's favorite?), and I like served either with cranapple juice or as a 'Sidecar' [triple sec & lemon juice], or just 'on the rocks'.
proxy.php

I find this warm golden color Cognac full of flavor with soft tones of vanilla, honey, oak wood and spice that is very smooth, but kind of intense on the palate that leaves a long and sharp after-taste finish.
'Primo' is the word that comes to my mind (also when paired with a cigar).
proxy.php

Did you also know that the biggest difference between brandy and cognac is that cognac is distilled twice. :thumbsup:

Read More:
http://www.hinecognac.com/cognacs.asp
proxy.php

proxy.php
"All cognac’s are brandy...but not all brandy’s are cognac". CBJ

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I prefer the Martell to Remy. I prefer Courvoisier over Martell (but YMMV).

Try the VSOP, there's a big step between the VS and VSOP and the price is not that different.

I will again echo the VSOP over VS. VS is really only good in a mixed drink where the Cognac isn't the featured liquor. Ex. A side car would NOT be a good drink to use a VS, use VSOP. I like Remy over Courvosisier and Hennessee over both. If you get a chance, give XO a try. Make sure you like cognac first by trying a VSOP, but if you do, XO is a real treat.

I love cognac. I always embarrass my wife as I order it with a southern drawl and ask for cog-knack. Two separate words.:D It's a smooth drink.

A lot of good advice here. Let me add to the confusion. First of all, I agree with trying some cognac in a nice bar or restaurant. You can try one glass without blowing the budget and see what flavor profiles you like, if any. And typically there isn't a heck of a lot of difference in price between brands, as long as you stick with VS or VSOP. After that all bets are off.*

First of all, I'm believe in drinking cognac straight, in a smallish snifter (big enough for your nose, but small enough to warm with your hands). I don't mix cognac with anything. It is also possibly the only drink I don't like cold, or with ice. Neither do I believe in a warmer for the snifter. My hand does just fine for me.

VS vs VSOP vs XO vs others. It really depends on the brand, I think. Some VS products are pretty good. Others are a bit harsh, IMO. You are usually a bit safer with VSOP--although there are some (mostly in the in the off-brand products) that are pretty tasty, IMO. I LOVE trying off-brand value cognac. It can be hit or miss, but when you find a good one you can get terrific stuff for a great value. Even bad cognac is pretty drinkable, I think. The exception might be Conjure which is one of the worst brandies I have ever had the displeasure to drink.

When it comes to major brand cognacs, I have always been a fan of Remy VSOP. Light, smooth and flavorful. Truth be told, I like most of the major brand VSOP (and above) bottles. I'm not a fan of most of their VS cognacs however. Courvoisier VS is particularly disappointing to me. A decent Vs is Hardy IMO. Their VSOP is very nice, too. I used to by this stuff dirt cheap years ago. But others caught on. Now Hardy makes a 2nd label called Maison Rouge. The VSOP is fine---not great by any means, but a fantastic value. I bought a bottle in sale tonight for $23. At that price you can't beat it with any brandy I have tried: cognac, armagnac or any other brandy.

Once you decide if you like brandy/cognac, then there is a whole world of fine brandy to try. Some very sophisticated stuff---and not all of it particularly expensive. Still, my philosophy has always been to experiment without spending a great deal of money at any one time. So I would try good stuff in bars and restaurants, and try the less expensive stuff at home.

*Quick disclaimer on the notion that prices don't vary much from cognac to cognac in a bar/restaurant (as long as you avoid the higher designations). I was on a business trip at Hershey Park in Pennsylvania. I stayed in the Hershey Lodge. They have a cigar/sports bar there. I went there to have a couple drinks, pick up a cigar and watch a bit of the football game on that night. I realized I was paying a bit extra for the cigar---that goes without saying. I have a snifter of cognac (probably Remy VSOP). While drinking I noticed they had a bottle of Hine Cigar Cognac. It is something I had been considering for a while. The Trader Joe's in my town had if tor about $85 a bottle---more than twice what I like to pay for booze. But I thought "Now's the time to try it!" So I ordered on for my second drink. I got the bill and they charged me $100 for that snifter of Hine Cigar Cognac. I was floored. This was to be on an expense account--but I just couldn't do that to the client. I ate the bill and learned a lesson. To this day I can't believe the bartender didn't give me a courtesy heads-up. As a long time bartender (on and off) I understand it can be a sensitive subject to mention price to a client, still there is a way to warn a customer about a usurious charge without insulting them. I paid more for that taste than I would have paid for an entire bottle. And you know what? It wasn't that great. Live and learn.

Top Bottom