What's new

Coffee

Suzuki said:
The coffee from Ristretto Roasters is terriffic - unlike several companies who exclusively offer dark roasts, Ristretto only uses a medium roast, which lets the flavours of the beans come through. While I still like a dark roast every now and again, its nice to be able to have a strong cup of coffee that still allows you taste the subtle flavours of a particular variety.

I notice that Dinder hasn't posted in this thread - likely out of a combination of modesty and the desire not to be seen as shamelessly plugging his wares. While this is admirable, I think that any coffee thread on B&B (or anywhere else for that matter) would be incomplete without a mention of Ristretto Roasters.

In case you're interested, here's a link to their website:

http://ristrettoroasters.com/

Great coffe at reasonable prices (not to mention a chance to support a fellow B&B member's business).

Disclaimer:

I received no compensation in any form whatsoever (and specifically didn't get any free coffee!) for this post.:biggrin:

I agree here 100%...DJ may not toot his own horn here but he really does a great job. If you guys haven't already, I would definitely suggest giving his coffee a try. By medium roasting he allows the beans to express their true character as opposed to roasting the complex flavors out.

This morning I am enjoying the last of my Ethiopia Harrar...so I need to place another order.

French Press for me...a couple cups in the morning and again in the afternoon or after dinner...and black.

Occasionally I order some Kona coffee from Smithfarms . Their website is worth checking out, a mom-and pop kind of operation that sells really good Kona for a reasonable price. I also like the Marques de Paiva Brazilian coffee sold at Sams:Club.

I always use a French Press at home and brew a large cup of coffee 1st thing in the morning. With a little bit of half and half.

at work, we have our own 'coffee group' in which everyone who wishes to join brings in his or her favorite coffee. We have 2 drip machines at a desk and so at work I drink anything from Starbucks to Peets to 8 o'clock to coffee's people bring back from vacations.

Interesting thread, as coffee is the one thing I am slightly more neurotic about than shaving.

1. What type/brand of beans do you like for your morning or evening (hell, maybe all day) cup o' joe?

Currently I have Columbian, Guatemala Casa Bella, and Kenya AA in rotation. Personally I favor the Kenya. SWMBO is from South America and this summer I had the pleasure of picking and roasting coffee from the plants that grow wild on my MIL's farm. Interesting in that the locals pick the black rather than red cherries. They also roast over an open fire and add a cup of sugar at the end. It makes for very good coffee with just a hint of the caramalized sugar. So sad, I have drunk everything I brought home. :frown:

Salt Lake Roasting Company in Salt Lake is an excellent source for coffee.

2. What type of equipment do you like/use to make your perfect java?

Solis Maestro grinder
Chemex
Chemex filters
Filtered water
Thermometer (water at 200F)
If I have to save coffe, I have a thermal carafe I preheat with boiling water.

I would love to buy an espresso machine, but I would also like a Porsche Cayman and that isn't happening anytime soon either. :mad3:

3. How do you take your coffee? Cream/Sugar/Steamed Milk/Cuban Style?

First cup of the day for me is black. My second is with steamed milk and a tiny bit of sugar in a go mug. SWMBO is delivered a cup bedside w/steamed milk and a spoon of sugar (prefer turbinado).

4. How many cups of battery acid does it take to jump start you in the morning?

Just the one I drink with breakfast. The travel mug is for the drive and to finish with my boss at our morning meeting. Never after that, have enough trouble sleeping and Cafeine has a half-life of around 4 hours.

- Organic French Roast with Organic Espresso ( 1 to 2 shots depending on the previous night's drinking adventure )
- Organic Filters & Distilled Water using a Bunn Coffee Maker
- on occassion I will use Organic Raw Honey or Organic Vanilla Beans ( mixed with French Roast ) for sweetness
Pure as possible with a mix of Bitter & Sweet ... & enough Caffeine to bring Voltaire back to Life ...

boboakalfb said:
I agree here 100%...DJ may not toot his own horn here but he really does a great job. If you guys haven't already, I would definitely suggest giving his coffee a try. By medium roasting he allows the beans to express their true character as opposed to roasting the complex flavors out.

This morning I am enjoying the last of my Ethiopia Harrar...so I need to place another order.

French Press for me...a couple cups in the morning and again in the afternoon or after dinner...and black.

Bump !
I just received my 1st shipment from DJ.
1# of the Ethiopia Harrar ordered and 3 samples were added :biggrin:
This java is jumpin !!
http://ristrettoroasters.com/ .....cool website as well.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The only thing I know about coffee is that I like it. I use Zabar's coffee (they seem to go through tons of it a week, so I don't know where to get it any fresher) and a Bodem French press.

Simple, and works for me.

I've been 'experimenting' with coffee for some time now. I don't have a particular favorite, I simply keep trying out different ones.

I am lucky that we have a local coffee house that roasts their own beans daily. A typical coffee shop with retail as well. They also have wifi there, so I often
sip-n-surf there. :tongue_sm

I have a condition where I can't handle caffeine in even moderate doses, so regular coffee's out for me, but I really like Kona Coffee, does anybody know where I can get some good Decaf 100% Kona Coffee?
Or other good decaf's?

I like 8 O'Clock 100% Columbian coffee & make it in a very old 3 cup drip coffee pot. (My mother said these coffee pots used to come free in a big bag of flour when she was a kid.)
I like the new McDonalds custom blend coffee; but not the robust.
Almost any brand beats the instant coffee in the c-rations while in the USMC!

TimmyBoston said:
I have a condition where I can't handle caffeine in even moderate doses, so regular coffee's out for me, but I really like Kona Coffee, does anybody know where I can get some good Decaf 100% Kona Coffee?
Or other good decaf's?

Gavalia may have it. They will definitely have several kinds of very good decafs, even if they don't have Kona.

http://www.gevalia.com/Gevalia/

Tim

Justso said:
1. What type/brand of beans do you like for your morning or evening (hell, maybe all day) cup o' joe?
I'm a huge fan of Just Us coffee (http://www.justuscoffee.com/) from Nova Scotia. :001_tt1: Preferably the Guatamalan or Mexican (medium roast) blends. Since I live so close to the roaster, I can't imagine getting anything fresher. Just smelling the beans roasting in the moring on the way to work is a pick me up.

Justso said:
2. What type of equipment do you like/use to make your perfect java?
French press. I may switch to drip though. I find the grinds that end up in the bottom of the cup fairly annoying. If anyone had any other suggestions to minimize these, I'd apreciate it. :smile:

Justso said:
3. How do you take your coffee? Cream/Sugar/Steamed Milk/Cuban Style?
Black. The only coffee I drink with cream comes from Tim Hortons.

Justso said:
4. How many cups of battery acid does it take to jump start you in the morning? :smile:
A couple of cups will usually do the trick. A third after lunch helps with the afternoon blahs.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Does Trade Joe's sell any decent coffee? I'm always in there, and was wondering if they had anything worthwhile.

Top Bottom