What's new

Coffee travel mug ideas?

I want to replace my dad’s insulated coffee travel mug. I need something that will take beating have a slide or flip spout and fit in a standard pickup drink holder. Any thoughts?

I don’t travel with hot drinks so no idea what is worth getting.

I prefer a stainless steel insulated travel mug. Preferably one that fits in my car cup holder.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My 40oz RTIC fits perfectly!
I believe they have them 20oz, 30oz, and 40oz.
They have flip open/close lids

Walmart carries their brand—Ozark Trail

Contigo has spill proof ones but they are not stainless steel.

I have given this a lot of thought.
Something to look for is a cap that has the hole at the bottom of a depression. You don't want to sip hot coffee from the edge like a child's sippy cup or a straw.
You want a bit of the coffee to puddle in the depression so that you can slurp it up and mix air with it. It's a carburetor, I suppose.
If you can't get a proper coffee/air mix, then you scald your tongue and mouth.

Check out this bad lid for a disposable coffee cup:
proxy.php

Yes, there's a depression, but they still put the hole in the wrong place. It's only good for cold beverages.

Here are some vintage Tim Horton mugs. Sadly, they are not insulated, but the serve to illustrate proper lid design. Notice the location of the hole. There's also a small vent hole for air to replace the coffee.

proxy.php

I have a more recent mug (like this one) that is insulated, has the hole at the bottom of a depression, and a sliding thingy to close off the hole, with a simple flick of the thumb.
proxy.php

It holds 16 oz, and can be set up for left or right-handed use. Since it is all plastic, I can microwave it and the contents.

Those examples were simply to illustrate the problem with some cap designs. My favourite local cafe has some stainless steel travel cups you can buy, and some disposables, but they all suffer from the "hole at the edge" problem. When I pointed it out to the owner she acknowledged that some customers would indeed complain about the coffee being too hot.
It's not too hot, it's just that there is no carburetor action going on.

Something to look for is a cap that has the hole at the bottom of a depression. You don't want to sip hot coffee from the edge like a child's sippy cup or a straw.
You want a bit of the coffee to puddle in the depression so that you can slurp it up and mix air with it. It's a carburetor, I suppose.

proxy.php

Yes, there's a depression, but they still put the hole in the wrong place. It's only good for cold beverages.

Here are some vintage Tim Horton mugs. Sadly, they are not insulated, but the serve to illustrate proper lid design. Notice the location of the hole. There's also a small vent hole for air to replace the coffee.

proxy.php

I have a more recent mug (like this one) that is insulated, has the hole at the bottom of a depression, and a sliding thingy to close off the hole, with a simple flick of the thumb.
proxy.php

It holds 16 oz, and can be set up for left or right-handed use. Since it is all plastic, I can microwave it and the contents.

Those examples were simply to illustrate the problem with some cap designs. My favourite local cafe has some stainless steel travel cups you can buy, and some disposables, but they all suffer from the "hole at the edge" problem. When I pointed it out to the owner she acknowledged that some customers would indeed complain about the coffee being too hot.
Tim Horton... the best thing about Buffalo.

I'll second the recommendation for a RTIC travel mug. I have Thermos, Yeti, and RTIC mugs. I like the Thermos mug but it has a problem of allowing the fluid to flow out easily. The Yeti and RTIC are superior. However, the RTIC travel mug is good as the Yeti but far less expensive. This is the one I have.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Good explanation and visuals.

I especially dislike those disposable coffee lids, one has to remove them in order to drink the first part of the cup. And they sometimes leak under the edge if the seam in the cup lines up near the lid opening.

But the worse thing is caused by my own mistake and interaction with that type lid. When sitting I take it off and use it as a heat cover, letting it rest on top of the cup between sips. Then every once in a while it happens. At some point later after becoming distracted (such as while reading) I will know that the coffee is now cool enough to drink through the lid but I will have forgotten that the lid has not been pressed back on. So that next sip sends coffee dribbling down my chin. It makes over wonder do the people designing things ever use them. A lid that one cannot drink hot coffee through should be obvious but they are used a lot.

Contigo has spill proof ones but they are not stainless steel.

Contigo does make stainless steel spill proof containers. Not cheap, but they work well enough. Often they are sold in 2 packs.
I use them for cold beverages but my GF uses them for hot. They don't work for an all day or overnight trip, but for going to work or a few hours long trip they are good.
One thing about them is they don't allow you to guzzle the drink. I find it a fairly slow flow, but no worse than you would get from the above Tim Hortons cups, I suppose. Also the cleaning of the tops takes a little while due to the spill proof mechanism.

After looking at numerous mugs and adding in the experience I've had in the past I recently bought a Bubba one. The main deciding factor was that it is dishwasher safe. Most have to be hand washed.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sorry. I really am trying hard to not let any negativity slip. And Tim Horton was a regular stop when I would be on duty out there.

We have a lot of genuflecting to the altar of Timmies as "a Canadian icon yada yada yada" up here in Canada, mostly coming from some very cunning corporate advertising. IMHO there are far better options out there compared to Timmies.

But to each is own.

We have a lot of genuflecting to the altar of Timmies as "a Canadian icon yada yada yada" up here in Canada, mostly coming from some very cunning corporate advertising. IMHO there are far better options out there compared to Timmies.

But to each is own.
When the option is Horton, Starbucks, od Duncan Donuts, Horton wins. These days I roast my own beans and usually bring an Aeropress when I travel.

I am currently using a HydroFlask with a coffee lid. They come in a variety of sizes and I have had good luck with the vacuum insulation working. I use it to bring a double americano to work. For business travel I make drip coffee in the room into a no name insulated mug and then transfer the coffee to one of the cups in the room.

Ruckin.

Plus ~ on the Contigo, I have something around 8 of them, keep my coffee hot for hours - stainless interior, spill proof (I have tested it) - and available in a two pack from Costco right now for $20 bucks, good price -

Top Bottom