What's new

Coffee to water ratio?

Jason I'd be inclined to believe that, if the cups I'm drinking backed it up. If I saw glaring taste/character differences between pour-over/press/vac, that would be one thing. But in my recent experience, it's more of a question of what flavors/characteristics that are highlighted or muted.

Gimme! does 18g for 10oz in their Clever dripper and it's pretty full bodied. I prefer it to many pour over methods that run way too fast

For the record, when we talk about pour-overs, Jason is right that technique is paramount. If you just dump water on it and let it drain, your cup will suck. If you pulse your brew, pour slowly and evenly, and draw it out (2:30 for my 10oz cup) I never find it weak. In fact, with the wrong grind, I can over- extract in that amount of time.

For the record, when we talk about pour-overs, Jason is right that technique is paramount. If you just dump water on it and let it drain, your cup will suck. If you pulse your brew, pour slowly and evenly, and draw it out (2:30 for my 10oz cup) I never find it weak. In fact, with the wrong grind, I can over- extract in that amount of time.
You could over-extract in terms of flavor, but I doubt you could over-extract numerically. Bitter is not necessarily always a correlator with over-extraction. It is only when the brew ratio is spot-on that the correlation is accurate.

The "what" being highlighted has everything to do with the extraction rate. If an earlier sequential aromatic extractive is being highlighted, the odds are good that the cup was under-extracted. Perhaps under-extracted is your preference, if so, then fine... but let's be honest and call it what it is.

No, because I've had coffee that was "all aromatics". I find they tend to lack sweetness and body, and that's not what I'm after. Honestly, I don't know where it is in terms of extraction rate, but it's not like I have a refractometer laying around.

We're spiraling way off the beaten path here; if I can underline a central theme that we're basically fleshing out, it's that ratio is one thing, but not everything. How you brew is critical to what's going to end up in the cup.

I use 8oz water per 16 gram coffee as a starting point for drip coffee but i vary this per trial and error for moka, french press etc. Grind, freshness of the beans affect how long the brew time also. Roughly 2 tablespoons of coffee per cup of water is a good reference to start with.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Depends on the coffee and brewing method used. In our home, we use ground coffee and our "Mr. Coffee" Automatic Drip Coffee Machine (and of course read the instructions on the can). :lol1:

Waking up to a cup of Yauco Selecto Gourmet Ground Coffee from Puerto Rico (4 Tbsp of coffee per 12 cups of water), is primo.
proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php
"I never drink coffee at lunch. I find it keeps me awake for the afternoon". President Ronald Reagan

Attachments

• $coffee.jpg
    $coffee.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I can't see that there's a set amount myself. You use as much as you need to make it as strong as YOU want surely? Also coffees in general are different strengths so they will all need differing amounts to suit you.

Gareth

This is the truth. We use different amounts depending on the roast, swmbo dislikes real strong coffee.

Top Bottom