What's new

Coffee starter kit

I've contemplated getting into coffee roasting a few times. The main turn off is the cost of the roasters. I've been wetshaving for a few years now and know that you do not have to spend big bucks to get a great shave. I am hoping coffee roasting is the same.

Is there a recommended set up to start roasting coffee? I do not want to spend $400 on roaster until I know I like it. I've read about popcorn stove tops cookers, cast iron pans, popcorn poppers, turbocrazies, etc. I am just wondering if those give you good results, or if I need to spend $400+ to get decent results.

Thanks for any help/ideas

I started off using a cast iron skillet. It isn't as convenient as a roaster, but you can still get great tasting coffee with it. If you already have cast iron, you won't have any investment other than beans.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Thank you. I have a large cast iron pan. I'll have to research how to roast using a pan. Being large, will it have hot spots I should look out for?

It is, in my opinion, the easiest way to get started. You can start with a heated pan. You want to have a single layer of green beans. You need to stir them often while they roast. You will hear them crack after 8-12 minutes or so. This is referred to as first crack. They will darken and eventually hit second crack, but you can stop the roast early in first crack for a light roast and into or just after first crack for a darker roast. Sweet Maria's website has some great information on roasting, including using a cast iron skillet.

It is, in my opinion, the easiest way to get started. You can start with a heated pan. You want to have a single layer of green beans. You need to stir them often while they roast. You will hear them crack after 8-12 minutes or so. This is referred to as first crack. They will darken and eventually hit second crack, but you can stop the roast early in first crack for a light roast and into or just after first crack for a darker roast. Sweet Maria's website has some great information on roasting, including using a cast iron skillet.

Thank you.

The issue with roasting coffee is volume, effort, consistency of results. The amount of beans you need each week and time available to roast are the biggest factors. It is messy/smelly so you may be outside and subject to weather conditions.

The cheaper methods generally require more personal attention during the roast and/or smaller batches. You may decide it is not a productive use of your time without a purpose built machine to help (stir/turbo-crazy might come close). But it can be good to experiment with the those methods.

I went the whirly-pop route. It took a little experimenting, but I am now able to get a fairly consistent end product. And yeah, it's hectic, messy and smelly (my favorite part) but I really enjoy the interaction with the process.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I went the whirly-pop route. It took a little experimenting, but I am now able to get a fairly consistent end product. And yeah, it's hectic, messy and smelly (my favorite part) but I really enjoy the interaction with the process.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I was also looking at that method. How much green coffee can you roast in one roast?

Top Bottom