What's new

Coffee Spices?

What spices will taste good in my coffee?

I currently use cinnamon, stevia and coconut cream. I am thinking about adding cloves, or allspice. I am thinking that nutmeg might be good also.

I suppose you could grate a little nutmeg in there.

Personally I do not like to take away from the 'coffee' I am drinking and would not be inclined to do such.

But hey, do ya thing :w00t:

Quality coffee has much more complexity than even adding spices. Try some dry-processed coffee from Ethiopia or elsewhere, or a fruity Kenya and you will see the difference.

Find flavours within different coffee beans from different regions and different levels of roast and not from adding extras. Just the way I roll but a pine sappy spicy on the palette Kona coffee with nothing added but water and love would do it for me in the spicy department. Just enough Christmas spice to satisfy the craving if it ever comes up.

I would agree with a lot of the posts above. Try some small sample sizes of different coffees from a speciality store and you will be amazed at some of the varied flavor elements to be found.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have some stale coffee that I am trying to mask the taste of. I have been buying Jims's Organic Coffee, with really good results. The last batch I bought in Mrs Greens Mt Kisco must have been sitting in the bin for months because it tastes really stale. :(

i think I will buy directly from coffee roasters from now on. At least then I will know that the beans are roasted fresh.

I was looking at the website of a coffee roaster and they had pumpkin spice and toasted nut blends. They sounded really good.

i think I will buy directly from coffee roasters from now on. At least then I will know that the beans are roasted fresh.

I was looking at the website of a coffee roaster and they had pumpkin spice and toasted nut blends. They sounded really good.

Stick to local roasters, if possible. The guy I go to is about 2 miles from my house, uses Sweet Maria's beans and I can actually watch him roast the beans when I swing by to pick some up. It's also less expensive than ordering online. I would also recommend avoiding anything that is flavored, as no respectable roaster would flavor good beans. :001_smile

As the previous posters mentioned, if you're getting good fresh coffee, grinding it as you need it, and using the right brewing methods, you don't need to add anything to your coffee to enjoy the taste. I refuse to add even a bit of cream and sugar to mine.

When I want a change of pace, and I don't have the expanded palette of others here, (not a diss) and I don't have a lot of different coffees, I will grind up some whole green cardamon pods. Adds a nice twist. Some people also like adding chickory.

Good brewing,

Kevin

+1 for cardamom

Also, my Yemenite neighbors in Israel used to add a mixture of cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon to their coffee -- it's called khwayej, in Arabic, and when used in low-end coffee, it tastes great!

I enjoy adding chicory to my coffee every once in a while for a change of pace. Problem is it can be hard to find not already blended. There's a local shop that carries it by itself, and you just add it to your press or machine or whatever with whatever coffee you are drinking. I believe Sweet Maria's also carries it by itself.

Cin, cream, bakers chocolate, pure vanilla are the things I add most often when my coffee needs it.

Its true a good coffee doesn't need it, but sometimes its hard to find good coffee.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I agree with the above. Good coffee doesn't need spice. However, a different taste is sometimes what we are after. If you were to have spices, I would recommend either cinammon or orange zest. Both very nice, I never tried them together... Cheers, Luc

Once in a while I will add some amaretto or another liquor to the coffee. It really tastes good.

I finished the really stale coffee. Now i am enjoying some reallly fresh roasted coffee from
Daybreak www.daybreakcoffee.com.

Some great suggestions so far,

+2 for cardamom

I just drop 3 pods into my espresso cup and let them infuse for a minute or two. Delish.

Top Bottom