What's new

Coffee Roasting with Behmor 1600+

Just found this info on Wiki for 4460, seems the 4400 is probably just fine for this purpose but why not get the 4460 so it can be used for long term monitoring. Now to wait for it to ship...

This is an enhanced version, based on the Prodigit 2022,[7] which includes a backup battery to store measurements even when disconnected from electricity. It has the same capabilities as the P4400, and can be programmed with electricity cost information, which enables it to display the cost of the electricity consumed since reset. From this, it can calculate cost per hour, day, week, month, or year.

I just got a Be More. The auto shutoff is annoying. In under two weeks, I've had to finish two pounds of roast in a frying pan.

I just got a Be More. The auto shutoff is annoying. In under two weeks, I've had to finish two pounds of roast in a frying pan.

I set a reminder timer for 13 min on my phone when I do 1 pound cycle at 20 min. It helps alot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I set a reminder timer for 13 min on my phone when I do 1 pound cycle at 20 min. It helps alot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have been lucky so far, caught it at 8 seconds on the last roast. Roasting in manual mode helps with not forgetting since you have to be there to bump down the temp when it gets closer to over heating. Mine have err2 at 330 b temp which seems to be others experience as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have set my kitchen timer. Guess I should set it more exact. Had it set 1 minute early, and had a game running on my laptop in the kitchen, but still managed to miss it. Gotta say, though, the coffee's much better than from my old Nesco.

Got the Kill-a-watt in today and treated it with a cleaning cycle since it was due. Voltage before roasting is almost 123. Before the after burner kicks on it covers around 120. During the rest of the cycle it seems to be 118.6 at lowest.

Seems I shouldn't be having problems with electricity for roasting. It was fun to play around with other outlets and devices to see what they use. I found the roaster registers usage even when off. I'll continue unplugging it when not in use.

I completed batch #38 today. Finally got some simple green and gave it a good cleaning earlier this week. The chaff tray seems to get stuff burnt on and is not cleaning up.

As for roasting I've been happy with my results using the manual method. Recently I've been using P5 and fast drum speed till first crack. If it gets to 320° before then I drop it to P4 down to 300° then repeat. Once first crack starts, I change to P3 and slow the drum.

Have been talking most to City/City+with espresso blend going into second crack for full city.

I completed batch #38 today. Finally got some simple green and gave it a good cleaning earlier this week. The chaff tray seems to get stuff burnt on and is not cleaning up.

As for roasting I've been happy with my results using the manual method. Recently I've been using P5 and fast drum speed till first crack. If it gets to 320° before then I drop it to P4 down to 300° then repeat. Once first crack starts, I change to P3 and slow the drum.

Have been talking most to City/City+with espresso blend going into second crack for full city.

Don't get over obsessive with cleaning. Coffee oils will taste better than cleaning solvents.

Sounds like you have the art of the Behmor mastered now. GREAT!!!!! Keep posting and helping others with their Behmor adventures.

Picked up 5 lbs of espresso blend and Columbian decaf from my local supplier. Roasted decaf to finish of first crack and espresso blend to second crack. Seems to be a winner with the in laws.

Espresso works really well in my setup as well but it's a bit too earthy for my taste straight up. Works great in a cappuccino though.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hi Jeff, love the posts, keep them coming, question, how do you know what is the "recommended" roast level for a certain type of coffee? Mine comes in ziplock bags with just the place name... just google?

Hi Jeff, love the posts, keep them coming, question, how do you know what is the "recommended" roast level for a certain type of coffee? Mine comes in ziplock bags with just the place name... just google?
Some of the suppliers I buy from roast them first and give their recommendation on roast level. I've been buying a pound to start with each bean. I then get 4 chances to learn and try different roast levels. It helps that I have a local roaster to buy green coffee from.

The green coffee co-op is another website I found when starting out. There is an entire forum of roasters there with experience on the beans they buy/sell.

It's a great afternoon for roasting, back in the 50's in the garage.
Finished a batch of Columbian decaf and one of espresso blend going now. Will be doing the last 1/4 lb of Costa Rica Tarrazu next.

Top Bottom