What's new

Coffee Roasters.

I use a Stir Crazy/Convection Oven (SC/TO), a.k.a. Turbo Crazy. You should look at CoffeeGeek.com, if you haven't already.

Thanks- good site- I joined their group as well.But you know something, I think the B/B site is the one I'm most comfortable with.
After we're not addicted to shaving like those crazy coffee guys are to coffee! (ahem)

Connman

Arthur,

My $.02 fwiw.

I second the advice to check out www.coffeegeek.com as well as search here on this forum. There are many pieces of advice and invaluable comments based on people's experience. If you have reached the point where you are considering roasting your own, I am very excited for you. You are going to enjoy the ride and the quality of your coffee will improve exponentially IMO.

On to equipment.........I use a Gene Cafe and I LOVE it. It gives me complete control over the roasting process and most importantly to me, it allows me the ability to duplicate the roast. While I enjoy almost every roast I do, some are complete home runs. I keep good notes on what I do so I can easily find the sweet spot again.

The important thing to remember is that each machine/method has it's own nuances or characteristics and you need to be aware of them. For example - Some will criticize the Gene Cafe for a cooling cycle that is too extended that allows the bean to 'bake' as it cools. Knowing your machine allows you to:

a.) Adjust your roast profile to account for the cooling cycle.
b.) Remove the beans immediately and transfer to an environment for quicker cooling.
c.) Do nothing and let the machine do it's thing and still get GREAT beans.

My point is getting to understand whatever you select. I could go on and on, but I will instead offer to answer any questions you may want to ask me. You will enjoy the experience!!!!

-Scott
(I write this as I drink a moka java I blended and roasted 72 hours ago)
Thanks- makes sense to me. Am probably going to go with the Gene Cafe as well.

Have done a lot of research and have followed you fellows' advise and research suggestions. Boy did this save me a lot of time.
Art-connman

JB --

When my last air popper gave out, I managed to replace it with an eBay purchase that was under $4 plus $5 or so s/h. :w00t:

There have been a quite a number of good threads on coffee here at B&B, with a *lot* of good info. Do an advanced search of the 'Speakeasy' forum for all threads with 'coffee' in the title. There's a number of good threads on roasting using the air poppers, as well as a lot of info on beans, grinding, making coffee with different types of makers/brewers, etc. A couple of B&B'ers are in the coffee business, and some are long standing enthusiasts with good depth of knowledge.

-- John Gehman
Thanks John . I owe you - good advise.Art= connman

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Thanks- good site- I joined their group as well.But you know something, I think the B/B site is the one I'm most comfortable with.
After we're not addicted to shaving like those crazy coffee guys are to coffee! (ahem)

Connman

What I like about B&B is that it's not only your one stop, finger popping, 24 hour shopping* place for shaving, but it's probably the best place to ask for advice on anything. From bicycles to booze, cameras to coffee, the depth and breadth of the expertise of our membership is nothing short of amazing. Ask a question about anything and it will get answered. :ouch1:

*guess the reference.

Yes, it *is* necessary. I buy the green beans that I favor for far less than I can buy roasted coffee. I roast it to my desired result. Sorry, but most places over-roast coffee. They just seem to roast the hell out of the beans, and burn all the subtle flavors out of it.

I, for one, am not convinced that some of these coffee shops know all that much about coffee anyway. Most of them are in the steamed-milk business.

-- John Gehman

aAs usual. wwell conceived advice based on experience. Thanks for sharing your (learning curve with me" (us)!

Connman= Art Cummings

What I like about B&B is that it's not only your one stop, finger popping, 24 hour shopping* place for shaving, but it's probably the best place to ask for advice on anything. From bicycles to booze, cameras to coffee, the depth and breadth of the expertise of our membership is nothing short of amazing. Ask a question about anything and it will get answered. :ouch1:

I wish I would have written that and very non-sarcastic from Ouch none the less!

:a14::a14::a14::a14:

Arthur,

My $.02 fwiw.

I second the advice to check out www.coffeegeek.com as well as search here on this forum. There are many pieces of advice and invaluable comments based on people's experience. If you have reached the point where you are considering roasting your own, I am very excited for you. You are going to enjoy the ride and the quality of your coffee will improve exponentially IMO.

On to equipment.........I use a Gene Cafe and I LOVE it. It gives me complete control over the roasting process and most importantly to me, it allows me the ability to duplicate the roast. While I enjoy almost every roast I do, some are complete home runs. I keep good notes on what I do so I can easily find the sweet spot again.

The important thing to remember is that each machine/method has it's own nuances or characteristics and you need to be aware of them. For example - Some will criticize the Gene Cafe for a cooling cycle that is too extended that allows the bean to 'bake' as it cools. Knowing your machine allows you to:

a.) Adjust your roast profile to account for the cooling cycle.
b.) Remove the beans immediately and transfer to an environment for quicker cooling.
c.) Do nothing and let the machine do it's thing and still get GREAT beans.

My point is getting to understand whatever you select. I could go on and on, but I will instead offer to answer any questions you may want to ask me. You will enjoy the experience!!!!

-Scott
(I write this as I drink a moka java I blended and roasted 72 hours ago)
I'm goimg to order the " Gene Machine
You have been a big help believe me ( You haven't heard the last of me yet!).
One thing I've learned that was unexpected. Some of the Companies locally, that brag about " fresh roasted beans " for sale, have seriously untrained help doing the roasting! I have been getting marginal results from some of them, and the owners just shrug etc. I love to keep vcoffee on hand all day and will love the flexibility that "roasting your own " affords!

Connman

*guess the reference.
You are entirely correct on this; Great advice on Shaving, coffee, cars, Women, ( no I retract that) booze ( which regrettably I had to give up. Last time I drank, some SOB stepped on my knuckles) and also, I'm sure the word Divorce ( or threat thereof) and the fear of losing income to Spousal and child support, instead of being able to buy Razors and Brushes, and all the other accoutramonts, plus buy and roast good coffee at my whim ( Coffee at AA meetings sucks) straightened me right out. I am amazed at the breath of knowledge of our members, and more importantly; their willingness to share it!!
Connman- "Dry but safe") Art Cummings

I'm certainly not here to criticize anyone who roasts coffee beans for a hobby or feels that the selection offered of green beans far exceeds the choices available in roasted beans. I agree totally about beans being severely over roasted by Starbucks and their ilk. Any nuanced flavors or characteristics of high quality coffee beans are eclipsed once they're French or Italian roasted. They're fine if your pulling shots or making a caffe` latte or cappuccino but disastrous if you're making American style drip coffee. I guess a good analogy would be going out to dinner and ordering a Kobe beef tenderloin well done.
If you enjoy what's normally called "city roast" or medium roast beans for breakfast coffee and don't have the time or inclination to roast your own, I've had good luck with Lavazza Pienaroma and Lavazza oro beans. Coming from Italy, they certainly weren't roasted a few days ago but have always garnered admiring inquiries when served. I work in finance and have no vested interest in promoting Lavazza, I just enjoy bringing back a suitcase full of their beans when visiting Italy.
For you "do-it-yourselfers" out there, what commercially available beans have you had luck with when you don't have time to roast your own?

+1 on the Lavazza, although I haven't bought any of it in a few years.

When I run short of home roast, I just buy a small bag of 8 O'clock whole bean coffee from the grocery store. <shrug>

-- John Gehman

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You are entirely correct on this; Great advice on Shaving, coffee, cars, Women, ( no I retract that) booze ( which regrettably I had to give up. Last time I drank, some SOB stepped on my knuckles) and also, I'm sure the word Divorce ( or threat thereof) and the fear of losing income to Spousal and child support, instead of being able to buy Razors and Brushes, and all the other accoutramonts, plus buy and roast good coffee at my whim ( Coffee at AA meetings sucks) straightened me right out. I am amazed at the breath of knowledge of our members, and more importantly; their willingness to share it!!
Connman- "Dry but safe") Art Cummings

Why retract that. It's one of our specialties, and has helped to make us world famous.

Well, it all came together about half-an-hour ago. I positioned my Poppery II right next to the sink, so that the chaff would blow out-and-into it, then plugged-it-in and let it pre-heat for 45 seconds. Then I poured-in 2/3 C of Sweet Maria's Moka Kadir Blend, put on the plastic cover, and hit the timer button.

What a blast! Yes, the Poppery II is noisy, and now I understand why/how some folks might miss hearing the first and second cracks. The exhaust chute on the plastic cover did an admirable job of directing where the chaff went -- all of it flew straight into the wet sink, where it then sat quietly.

From the moment I added the coffee beans, they began to swirl energetically. As I watched and listened, I saw them increase in size, and wondered if, with all the activity, the beans wouldn't fly out with the chaff. But not to worry.

At 2:50 I heard the beginning of the first crack, which continued until 4:00, then the beans were silent for :40, when I began hearing that Rice Krispies-like "snap, crackle, and pop" signaling second crack. At 5:00 I unplugged it, removed the plastic cover (with gloved hands), and poured the now-roasted coffee beans into a waiting aluminum colander.

I swished the hot beans around with one hand for about two minutes, then popped one roasted bean into my mouth and chewed it up. Delicious!

The newly-roasted coffee beans are now resting on the counter-top in an empty Cafe Pilon (instant) jar, with the lid sitting on top, but not tightened. It will be difficult to let them lie for 12-24 hours while they out-gas the CO2, but I'll be patient.

My hand-crank coffee grinder, Bodum Ibis kettle and French press are at-the-ready and, come Friday morning, it'll be party time!

Thanks to everyone, espicially Straight Arrow, for taking the time to compose interesting and informative posts on this thread.

Moka Kadir is one of my favorite blends; in fact, several pounds of it just showed up at my door yesterday. :cool: It is one of my go-to espresso blends - a truly special, pungent shot.

Just a brief note, to say that I am enjoying every moment of home-roasting green coffee beans in my West Bend Poppery II. It handles 2/3 of a cup of beans with ease -- I could probably process more, but at 2/3 C I already get two or three beans "popping" out, together with the chafff; any more quantity, and I'd lose too many for my liking. So, I do back-to-back batches.

I've found that positioning the Poppery II on a wooden cutting-board, to the left of the kitchen sink, and placing a few sheets of damp paper towel into the basin, help me control any chaff. Smoke can be an issue, but having a fragrant apartment (I live alone) is worth it.

About an hour ago, I roasted two batches of Sweet Maria's Moka-Kadir Blend up-to-and-into second crack, before pouring the beans into an aluminum colander to cool. What a pleasure, and I will enjoy my morning coffee tomorrow.

I see no reason to implement any of the many modifications which are possible with this unit -- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" But I do envy people with balconies, backyards, or decks. Nevertheless, DIY is ever-so satisfying. I'm also reading a "previously-owned" copy of Kenneth Davids' "Home Coffee Roasting", and find it informative and motivating.

Many thanks to Arthur J. Cummings for starting this thread!

If you know the roasting schedules of several local purveyors and consume what you buy in a week or less, why in the world would you want to roast your own coffee? Roasting equipment costing tens of thousands of dollars will most certainly outmatch any $100 or so investment you're thinking of making--and I'm assuming your roasting proficiency is equal to someone doing this for a living on a daily basis, which is unlikely. It would be like entering a cooking competition with an Easy Bake oven up against a Viking range.
As Don Corleone once stated in another context, "is this necessary?"

A good friend of mine who is a home roaster proved it to me with a batch of his fresh roasted coffee. I could taste chocolate and a mild sweetness from his beautiful brew. This sup of liquid goodness showed me how good fresh roasted is. Its like the difference between drinking $20 Pinot Noir versus an first growth Burgundy. Both can be good but the first grwoth has much more character and nuances of flavor.

Having said that, I am too lazy to roast my own. As such I have found that its better to get fresh roast from a decent local roaster than pay big bucks for a big name producer mail order. Freshness is the key (its better to get a fresher roast of a mediocre coffee than am old roast from a better coffee).The key is to ask the local roaster when the coffee was roasted. I understand its at it peak of flavor one to two days after roasting.

How can you tell how fresh the roast was? The fresher the roast the larger the bloom (the volume of dross that floats on the top when you make it frech press style.)

Just a brief note, to say that I am enjoying every moment of home-roasting green coffee beans in my West Bend Poppery II. It handles 2/3 of a cup of beans with ease -- I could probably process more, but at 2/3 C I already get two or three beans "popping" out, together with the chafff; any more quantity, and I'd lose too many for my liking. So, I do back-to-back batches.

I've found that positioning the Poppery II on a wooden cutting-board, to the left of the kitchen sink, and placing a few sheets of damp paper towel into the basin, help me control any chaff. Smoke can be an issue, but having a fragrant apartment (I live alone) is worth it.

About an hour ago, I roasted two batches of Sweet Maria's Moka-Kadir Blend up-to-and-into second crack, before pouring the beans into an aluminum colander to cool. What a pleasure, and I will enjoy my morning coffee tomorrow.

I see no reason to implement any of the many modifications which are possible with this unit -- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" But I do envy people with balconies, backyards, or decks. Nevertheless, DIY is ever-so satisfying. I'm also reading a "previously-owned" copy of Kenneth Davids' "Home Coffee Roasting", and find it informative and motivating.

Many thanks to Arthur J. Cummings for starting this thread!
Why , thank you! Accept my belated thank you. Connman Art Cummings:s::smile: :smile: :smile:

Arthur --

Nice to see you stopping back in here from time to time.

-- John Gehman

WOW! Looks like this thread has had NO activity for awhile, a GOOD LONG WHILE. On the slim chance that anyone reads this who is into home roasting but has goten more "commercialized" once people taste their home roasts, I have a 8# R K Drum. You can't beat R K Drums for a small coffee shop or just a home roaster turned into a "cottage" home business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom