What's new

Coffee is analogous to shaving, for instance...

Did you ever notice the parallels between making coffee and shaving? Some of these might be a stretch from your perspective, but some that come came to mind are listed below. Using '=' sign to roughly mean analogous, to make this easier to read.

brewer = razor
filter = blade
coffee beans = soap
hand grinder = brush
ground coffee = lather
pre-ground coffee = canned shave cream
electric grinder = hot lather machine
instant coffee = electric razor

manual lever espresso machine = straight razor
Gillette safety razor = Melitta pour over
Bic disposable razor = k-cup

Perhaps you can expand or improve on these?

In Montenegro we drink "Turkish style" coffee
You boil coffee directly, there anre no filters and fancy machines, just regular pot, at the end there is some sludge remaining in the cup
IMG_20220722_072233.jpg

My grandparents used to buy raw beans and roast them in the oven then grind them in one of these griders
starinski-mlin-za-kafu.jpg

For me, as I shave as soon as I wake up, shaving has same effect as coffee, it wakes me up, especially when I use cold water and menthol cream/soap

Did you ever notice the parallels between making coffee and shaving? Some of these might be a stretch from your perspective, but some that come came to mind are listed below. Using '=' sign to roughly mean analogous, to make this easier to read.

brewer = razor
filter = blade brush
coffee beans = soap
hand grinder = brush blade
ground coffee = lather

FTFY. The grinder is the most important, and overlooked, part. Like how people focus on the razor instead of the blade. :cuppa:

I prefer manual methods:
Manual lever, highest skill level required. Good outcomes not guaranteed even with good technique. Matches straight razors.
V60, moderate skill, high precision rewarded. High gap machined safety razor.
Aeropress, variable skill level. High quality possible, but more futzing. As simple or complicated as you want to make it. Weird razors like the twig, injectors or uncommon vintage razors.
French press, low skill. Get's the job done. Average sub $100 mass produced razor, new or vintage.

brewer = razor
filter = blade
coffee beans = soap
hand grinder = brush
ground coffee = lather

I can definitely see the parallels although to me, the blades = beans since there are so many to choose from and my choice has a enormous affect on the end result... similar to all the DE blade choices. Or perhaps the grinder = blades due to all the settings from fine to coarse. 🤔 Soap - whipping up a good lather reminds me of frothing milk and latte art... both can be difficult skills for a noob.

Also for me, another similarly between shaving/brewing is the workflow ritual: loading razor, whipping up the lather bowl or face, the actual shave and applying aftershave. It corresponds to the flow I get with coffee: turn on machine to preheat, weigh the beans, grind, tamping, etc
My grandparents used to buy raw beans and roast them in the oven then grind them in one of these griders
View attachment 1491997

For me, as I shave as soon as I wake up, shaving has same effect as coffee, it wakes me up, especially when I use cold water and menthol cream/soap
Haha, the more things change, the more they stay the same. My grinder has more settings perhaps but that one is more attractive with the engraving.

Screenshot_20220722-025122_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
To elaborate I was considering the coffee filter as analogous to the razor blade, as both do a lot of the work determining the final result. One cuts off the beard leaving a smooth face, the other cuts off the coffee bed leaving a smooth cup of coffee. Just as their are different brands and form factors of razor blades, there are many different brands and types of coffee filtration. But obviously the analogy only goes so far, as shave soap is not as critical to shaving as beans are to a cup of coffee.

@Dobric, Agree with your morning comments. Shaving and coffee drinking is often done just after rising and before going out and facing the world. Both important parts of waking up and starting the day for most people.

lasta

Blade Biter
FTFY. The grinder is the most important, and overlooked, part. Like how people focus on the razor instead of the blade. :cuppa:

I prefer manual methods:
Manual lever, highest skill level required. Good outcomes not guaranteed even with good technique. Matches straight razors.
V60, moderate skill, high precision rewarded. High gap machined safety razor.
Aeropress, variable skill level. High quality possible, but more futzing. As simple or complicated as you want to make it. Weird razors like the twig, injectors or uncommon vintage razors.
French press, low skill. Get's the job done. Average sub $100 mass produced razor, new or vintage.

Gonna pick a fight on this, sorry.

Grinder is not important, the difference between a mid-range (ie $80+) and super high end in terms of grind distribution/consistency is less than 5%. But I do agree, dialing-in is very important.

French press. Can be low skill yes, but more than gets the job done. Immersion brewing is more efficient and brings out more nuanced flavors then even the best pour overs. My scentiment on this applies top razors as well. A sub $100 mass produced Gillette is as good as any blade holder.

IMO YMMV and all that haha.

brewer = razor
filter = blade
coffee beans = soap
hand grinder = brush
ground coffee = lather

Hmmm, I have never thought about this, but you're right! :)

I like the analogy but there are a lot of differences along with the similarities. The similarities start with trying/accumulating a wide range of variety or gear/equipment for both so that the right fit/taste/technique is found. However with shaving, my variety is a lot bigger with more variables as each shave is different with thousands of combinations. With coffee after discovering my preferred method (manual pour over) I hardly try other methods despite having many to choose from. The game changers in coffee (for me) is the right brew temperature, the right beans, and a frother for the milk. With shaving a sharp blade, proper technique, and a rich lather is a must.

Getting a great shave, or a great cup of coffee, from your wet shaving efforts or home roasting efforts, is easy, if you spend enough time getting the feel of things.

Getting either to be consistently great is tougher.

Technivorm Moccamaster = Henson Mild / Tatara Masamune . Easy, painless, faff free with excellent results every day.

Aeropress is also easy and excellent once you learn to throw away the ridiculous instructions. As per James Hoffmann, steep it for at least 2 minutes then your extraction will be done consistently because even if you leave it for 2-1/2 or 3 minutes it's not going to affect the result. Vary strength with grind and amount/type of coffee not steep time). Now he does it regular style, I just go inverted and don't bother with the scale etc..but old Jimmy H is a proper coffee nerd.

Kopi Luwak (Civet Coffee) = Paying $100 for some "artisanal" soap and then finding that Arko! is far superior.

Last edited:
Top Bottom