What's new

Coffee grinding on the cheap?

My coffee drinking has always been pretty minimal. SWMBA has recently made the move from instant coffee to appreciating fresh coffee. I've bought coffee from Steve at Hasbean who delivers freshly roasted & ground coffee and I find it a big difference to the bags of pre ground stuff at the supermarket. Whilst I don't have much of an opinion on specific types of coffee I do know I enjoy the freshly roasted and ground stuff, after a week or so has passed and the bag is not finished it stays not finished. The first few days I'm enthusiatic about coffee.

I'm pretty happy with the french press method but would like to be able to order freshly roasted beans, grind them on a pot by pot basis, and generally avoid week old coffee dust. My dad uses a Whittards ceramic hand grinder and it desn't seems to do a very good job. My brother in law has been using the same little Braun mini food processer/grinder/spinning blades contraption for years and through some sort of use of 'the force' & many years of intimacy with it gets a pretty good grind. I have the same widget and failed to get a decent grind after one or two shots, I'm reluctant to try further as the widget will soon become a coffee only device and SWMBA will not be amused if everything else comes out of it coffee flavoured.

I tried mortar & pestle, I was sad.

Decent coffee grinders seem rather expensive. Good coffee seems cheap, making it is easy, grinding it well seems to be expensive.

Any ideas on going from bean to ground on a budget?

Yes, a good coffee grinder is expensive, at least compared to what most would consider reasonable price, but it really comes down to how much coffee you drink and how much value you place on the improved taste. I think there are analogies with our wet shaving hobby....Where the typical person balks at paying $50-100+ for a new DE razor when one can buy a pack of disposable razors for a few dollars, or spending $50-200+ on a nice badger brush, when a can of shaving cream cost so little in comparison. Coffee grinders can give the same emotional shock and wallet shock when first considering one.

As for grinder advice, it partially depends on how much versatility you want to do things in the future like brew espresso. If you want an electric model, it is hard not to recommend the best Baratza model that your budget can afford. If you are okay with hand grinding then the new Orphan Espresso Lido could be a good choice. Or using a smaller hand grinder from Hario or Porlex. Just be aware that hand grinding a lightly roasted coffee can seem like a bit of a chore.

You could keep your current grinder and try a filtered pour-over brewer, that way the grind inconsistency would not matter as much.

The whirly blade choppers are great spice choppers

Kyocera makes a nice hand grinder for around $50 (USD) street price. It does a fair job coarse grinding.

proxy.php

You're in luck, depending on how you think of coffee (I have a 32lb grinder on my counter:001_smile). One of the least expensive, well regarded, non-hand crank grinders designed for drip or French press also happens to be one of the best. Baratza's Encore is $130 and produces just about the best large grind you can get short of spending several hundred dollars on a giant Bunn G3 grinder. You can get a used one off of coffeegeek.com in their B/S/T forum for about $80.

Like Mick said, Hairo/Kyocera is the way to go. If you want consistent coarse grind you need a lower bearing mod for it too. If you aren't that fussy its fine on its own.

I have a Porlex hand grinder. It does a great job and looks nice too. I can't tell any difference between coffee brewed with the Porlex grind versus my Solis Maestro.

Thanks guys, think I'm gonna go with a ceramic hand grinder to get up and running. The Hario/Kyocera looks pretty budget friendly.

Thanks guys, think I'm gonna go with a ceramic hand grinder to get up and running. The Hario/Kyocera looks pretty budget friendly.

Get the larger of the models not the mini as the mini is a dedicated fine/espresso grinder and croaks big time on anything other than fine.

As mentioned there is a mod for the CM-50/Skerton model that makes it a KILLER pour over, press, grinder.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/365858-Orphan-Kyocera-Skerton-bearing-mod-on-CM-50

I swapped the top nut on my Hario for a 6 mm coupling nut, then screwed in a 6mm, 5 mm hex head, screw. I can use my B+D screwdriver to power the unit when I'm tired of grinding.

I swapped the top nut on my Hario for a 6 mm coupling nut, then screwed in a 6mm, 5 mm hex head, screw. I can use my B+D screwdriver to power the unit when I'm tired of grinding.

+1

I do something similar, although I use a cordless drill and just attach the drill to the top thread like its a bit.

I also recommend the Clever Coffee Dripper if you are wanting a pour over solution. Very inexpensive and gives a nice cross between pour over and French press.

Get the larger of the models not the mini as the mini is a dedicated fine/espresso grinder and croaks big time on anything other than fine.

As mentioned there is a mod for the CM-50/Skerton model that makes it a KILLER pour over, press, grinder.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/365858-Orphan-Kyocera-Skerton-bearing-mod-on-CM-50

Actually the Mini is slightly better (at least I think so...as does this review: http://prima-coffee.com/blog/hario-skerton-vs-mini-mill ) for coarse grind out of the box. Though, it definitely doesn't compare to a modded Skerton. However, mods can be cheap and easy...I've seen the one from Orphan, a 3D printed piece and even some tape/Post-It wrapped around the shaft to tighten things up.

I found a burr mill originally marketed as a Pampered Chef pepper mill. It won't do fine grinds but works for the moka pot and french press. I got it free but I've seen similar tall skinny brass mills with steel burrs for not much more than a spice grinder.

I have a Hario Skerton with the Orphan Espresso "PFP" lower bearing mod.

I can't say I want anything more for either pour-over or french press. It does the job, and does it WELL. Do I want a better grinder? sure, someday when I can afford a nice lower end espresso machine. But again, the Hario/kyocera does all I need!

The whirly blade choppers are great spice choppers

Kyocera makes a nice hand grinder for around $50 (USD) street price. It does a fair job coarse grinding.

+1

Hario Skerton makes the same exact one too. Just do not listen to Mick too often. Your wallet will thank you :lol:

You are in Europe - might check out some ebay listings for vintage hand grinders - I use daily a 70+ year old brass mill from the now defunct Dienes Mfg Co - a brass mill with hardened steel conical burrs that might still be in use 100 years after I am dead - less than $50 usually wins one of these, often the price is less though. Anything modern short of the Orphan Espresso Lido 2 or Hausgrind (made in Scotland I think) will pale in comparison.

I have a Skerton, modified even, it's on the display shelf and is dusted regularly...

Last edited:
Top Bottom