What's new

Coffee Grinders & my Solis Maestro Plus

Well I just got back from the store and bought my Aeropress.... I will be the first to admit while it isn't as easy to the eyes as the Bodum piece I can't comment on anything else. I will give it ago tomorrow and adjust my grinder accordingly. I will be the first to admit what I heard was wrong on here. I am not the type of person who is ashamned in being wrong. But that again, I never said anything bad about it, just what I was told, and I usually take what I was told with a grain of salt. Any grinding recommendations? I grind about the middle of the coarse realm for the Bodum. I read on some of the reviews that they recomment between a medium drip grind or a medium fine. I am open.

I love my Aeropress too, I have been using a pretty fine espresso grind. It does make it a little harder to depress the plunger, but works fine with just a couple scoops for a single cup. :smile:

I drink 3 U.S. cups in my mug every morning. So I am going to have to gauge how to make that much with this setup.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
One thing the french press has over the Aero is its ability to produce a big honkin' pot o' joe at once. The Aero makes what is effectively a coffee concentrate, that you top off with hot water, americano style.

Where the french press requires a pretty coarse grind, the aero fares better with a fairly fine grind. You'll have to play around with grinds and proportions, but in no time you'll be producing intensely concentrated, sludge free cups.

I drink 3 U.S. cups in my mug every morning. So I am going to have to gauge how to make that much with this setup.

I'd try 4 scoops and fill to the 4 line, really depends how strong you like it though. Keep in mind though, with a fine grind and 4 scoops pushing the plunger down can be challenging.

Enjoy, please share your thoughts after you try it out.

Neale

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I boil the water in a tea kettle. I use 2 scoops and follow DJ's set up. Fill Aeropress 1/3, stir grinds for about 15 seconds, add 1/3 more water, then last 1/3 and press. I don't quite fill to the top of #2 for a smoother brew and then add water for about an 11 oz. cuppa of coffee. Love it. I watch my wife drink the coffee out of the Cuisinart every morning and I just look at her "lovingly" . :frown2:

I watch my wife drink the coffee out of the Cuisinart every morning and I just look at her "lovingly" . :frown2:

LOL, Too funny. Since buying our Aeropress, I now get to make my wifes coffee too :rolleyes:

I use DJ's method as well, works great :biggrin:

I still need to buy a grinder though, Great thread thanks guys :biggrin:

Well I just got back from the store and bought my Aeropress.... I will be the first to admit while it isn't as easy to the eyes as the Bodum piece I can't comment on anything else. I will give it ago tomorrow and adjust my grinder accordingly. I will be the first to admit what I heard was wrong on here. I am not the type of person who is ashamned in being wrong. But that again, I never said anything bad about it, just what I was told, and I usually take what I was told with a grain of salt. Any grinding recommendations? I grind about the middle of the coarse realm for the Bodum. I read on some of the reviews that they recomment between a medium drip grind or a medium fine. I am open.

Hey Jason, as far as the proper grind goes, I would shoot for a texture that resembles the granule size of table salt, and then tweak it + or - until you find the sweet spot.
Have fun!
DJ.

I drink my coffee fairly strong... I measured the mug I used and it takes 2.5 normal size coffee cups worth of liquid... how many scoops would you go with and how much water in the aeropress?

ouch

If you can give the capacity of your mug in ounces, it would be easier to estimate.

I drink my coffee fairly strong... I measured the mug I used and it takes 2.5 normal size coffee cups worth of liquid... how many scoops would you go with and how much water in the aeropress?

As far as I am concered, the Aeropress makes a really good 11oz. cup of coffee (I use 2.5 heaping scoops). I'm not sure, but you may need to do a couple of batches for your needs.

If you can give the capacity of your mug in ounces, it would be easier to estimate.

When I head down stairs I will give the ouces raiting for my cup... all I know is that the Bodum Chambord I have now says it is a 12 cup pot and I fill it exactly 50% full with 4 scoops and it fill the cup perfectly. I thought I was drinking a half a pot, but realized that US cups are larger... lol. Shows what I know, I just know the damn stuff is mighty tasty.

I agree, for instance, when you buy a coffee pot rated at 10 cups, what does this rating really mean? Well, most manufacturers range somewhere between 4oz. to 6oz. per cup. So 11oz. could translate to almost 2.5-2.75 cups.

Went down stairs and measured my coffee cup. It is exactly 24oz. That is 3 8oz. cups according to my measuring cup. So how much what do you suggest I put in the aeropress?

ouch

I'd make it in two goes of 2 heaping scoops each.

But before you try to tailor it to your specific needs, why don't you just try to make a regular cup of coffee to taste?

I'd make it in two goes of 2 heaping scoops each.

But before you try to tailor it to your specific needs, why don't you just try to make a regular cup of coffee to taste?

I am thinking about doing that... but that is too much work when you are drug downstairs by your dog who wants to go out and go potty.

So if my math is correct and they assume 1 scoop per 5oz cup then I am looking at 4.8 scoops to take care of my 25 oz. mug according to their standards. I might try 4 scoops and fill it up to the 4 marker and top the rest off with water and see how that goes. If it is too weak, I will just make some more. I have pretty much tailored my coffee amount around this mug so I judge everything off of that. What is your feelings on my method I mentioned?

ouch

I've found that the less water you brew with, the smoother the cup. That's why I'd still make it in two stages- try 2 1/2 scoops each, and fill to about the top of the "2" mark. You can reuse the filter- just peel it off, dump the grinds, and reinstall.

So fill it up to the 2 line with water and add 2.5 scoops (2 heaping I assume) and make this twice to fill my cup and then top off with water?

ouch

So fill it up to the 2 line with water and add 2.5 scoops (2 heaping I assume) and make this twice to fill my cup and then top off with water?

Sounds like a plan. Put the coffee in first, add water, give a quick stir with the paddle, and slowly press. Depending on the grind, pressing will fall somewhere between easy and jugular busting. It should take about 20 seconds to plunge, and you should hear a reassuring hiss for the last several seconds. The pressurized air creates a faux crema. Remove the cap, peel off the filter (if reusing- they're cheap enough to discard) and push plunger the rest of the way to eject the grounds into the trash. Repeat, then top off with hot water.

The keys to the Aeropress are the low steeping times and the ability to brew with less than boiling water.

Top Bottom