What's new

Coffee Grinders & my Solis Maestro Plus

I love my Zassenhaus, and it helps since I am cheap! I just hope that they are going to be available again in a few months since they have been non-existent for about two years. I want a 169DG, but was lucky to get a 156MA in a small central Texas town (German heritage). The zassenhaus grinders may not be up to par with a Rocky or Mazzer Mini, but the grinds are much better than any blade grinder and work well with my french press and moka pot.

I heard that they're going to be available again (if true, GREAT news).

They are AWESOME grinders! I'm just too damned lazy...:blushing:

So, a bit of a side question: I like espresso-based drinks, but I'm not about to shell out multiple hundreds of dollars for an espresso machine. Is it possible to get a decent espresso out of one of the stovetop makers such as a Bialetti? If so, I would consider buying one of those and a decent grinder.

The short answer is no. Those pots will make a good cup of strong coffee, but they can't produce the pressure needed to make actual (real) espresso.

I find the mokapot makes a bit sweeter cup since the extraction time is less than my standard (french press). If you are looking for something a bit different, but not willing to shell out the $$ on an expresso machine, then spend $20-$30 on one.

Thanks for the info. I may give it a try anyway - if it doesn't work I'm only out $30 or so. It'll be a while though - I just shelled out a bit for a new suit, and since I don't plan on changing size or shape much from here on out I went tailored this time.

Another quick and easy cleaning method for your grinder is to throw a scoop of uncooked white rice in the grinder, grind it through and then run a few beans through to remove any residue. This method will remove any unwanted and possibly rancid oils from the burrs etc. without tearing your grinder apart. This is also extremely cost effective compared to using the Grindz product.
Good luck.
DJ.
Damn! When will I learn . I thought I got a piece of seminal information today when I called Kitchen Aid asking about my weird acting grinder.A very efficient lady told me to dump a cup of rice through it. I did .It worked! Of course as a newbee I had to share it with everyone.I should read the post sand threads before I get all lathered up. I later saw several posts , some over a year advising of this neat little trick.
Redfaced ( not from shaving) in Mission Viejo.
Art Cummings aka connman:confused:

Bodum Chambord French Press for me every morning with fresh ground Starbucks French Roast beans. I have a brandnew Mr. Coffee that is on the counter as a lovely decrotive piece... LOL it has seen one brewing when my parents came with their Foldgers.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Bodum Chambord French Press for me every morning with fresh ground Starbucks French Roast beans. I have a brandnew Mr. Coffee that is on the counter as a lovely decrotive piece... LOL it has seen one brewing when my parents came with their Foldgers.

That's funny. I have a Bodum Chambord French Press that is on the counter as a lovely decorative piece, ever since I got an Aeropress. :lol:

That's funny. I have a Bodum Chambord French Press that is on the counter as a lovely decorative piece, ever since I got an Aeropress. :lol:

Seen that toy before... I looked at it... but my thought was a company that just makes coffee stuff probably has a better product over a company that makes frizbee golf products and random other things... but I do admit now that you showed me I will probably buy it so I can give it a good run down.

Seen that toy before... I looked at it... but my thought was a company that just makes coffee stuff probably has a better product over a company that makes frizbee golf products and random other things... but I do admit now that you showed me I will probably buy it so I can give it a good run down.

Famous last words...It seems like the Aeropress is more addictive than crack around these parts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Once I read all the bad reviews about it... I am def. sticking with my Bodum piece... not only is it better built but the results are much better from what I gathered over about 10 reviews.

Once I read all the bad reviews about it... I am def. sticking with my Bodum piece... not only is it better built but the results are much better from what I gathered over about 10 reviews.

YMMV...but my French Press is now in the back of a cabinet somewhere not getting any attention.

What reviews? My French press hasn't been used since I got my Aeropress. The results aren't even in the same league.

Talked to some people at sweet marias coffee and they just were happy with the results... the constant leakage that is evident just isn't to my liking either. I don't have any of that with the Bodum. I don't have to buy discs and I don't have to super steep either. 10 - 20 secs is what I read on their (areo press) site because you use a finer grind. I am good with all of that... if someone would like to demonstrate or tell me where I can get one locally to prove to me otherwise... until then I agree with the 100's of reviews that the French Press Bodum is superior in everywhat... Please don't make a pissing contest out of this, this is just my $.02

Talked to some people at sweet marias coffee and they just were happy with the results... the constant leakage that is evident just isn't to my liking either. I don't have any of that with the Bodum. I don't have to buy discs and I don't have to super steep either. 10 - 20 secs is what I read on their (areo press) site because you use a finer grind. I am good with all of that... if someone would like to demonstrate or tell me where I can get one locally to prove to me otherwise... until then I agree with the 100's of reviews that the French Press Bodum is superior in everywhat... Please don't make a pissing contest out of this, this is just my $.02

I won't comment on design specifics, because hey, there's a lot of personal preference involved there. But for my taste buds, the resulting coffee is markedly superior from the Aeropress. No pissing match at all, just my $.02 as well. Where do you live?

Here's my $0.02 worth.

I've never used (nor even seen) an Aeropress but have read very good things about them. However, with my Gaggia Espresso kit and 3 Bodum French Presses, I don't feel a need for one.

That being said, coffee beans and flavour depending on how it's made is another YMMV thing and what I like, you may or may not. I love the $6 / lb fresh roasted beans I get from a local, so feel no need to splurge on a couple of lbs of the famed Black Cat @ $13 / lb.

To each his own. Lets all tip a cup of whatever you like, made how you like it, in your favourite cup!!!

I live down in LA (Rancho Cucamonga) if you recall. I called a local coffee shop that sells them and both the Bodum. He said in his 40 years in the Coffee experience that the Aero press makes a good cup of a coffee but the difference between the two is questionable. He said it is great for the person who wants a quick cup of joe but the Bodum is more of the "natrualist" method. Either way for $28 I am going to grab one and try it out. Thanks John

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

You wouldn't be related to jbc? :lol:

Constant leakage? Please explain yourself.
Super steep? It's the press that requires steeping.
Bad reviews? Certainly not on this site.

I used a french press for over twenty years, and have half a dozen of them. Not one has been used since I bought an Aeropress.

Top Bottom