What's new

Coffee Grinders & my Solis Maestro Plus

Very true, but not nearly as bad a result as other methods, including lots of commercial offerings.

Eg: blade grinder + French press = yuck!:crying:
I use a Starbucks Barista grinder and a Bodum Bistro Neo French press and my coffee tastes fantastic.

I don't see the logic in spending so much money on grinders and coffee making equipment.

I use a Starbucks Barista grinder and a Bodum Bistro Neo French press and my coffee tastes fantastic.

I don't see the logic in spending so much money on grinders and coffee making equipment.

It doesn't have to be very expensive. Espresso is where the money is spent. Blade grinders are inconsistent...leaving the grind at different sizes. Therefore underextraction an overextraction occurs. I picked up a Solis Maestro and Aeropress for around $100...hands down makes much better coffee than you would get from a drip maker of the same cost. I am no expert so others may chime in.

Yep.
The subtle flavors one must get from using a burr grinder are lost on my palate.
Krups spice grinder used here.

John
Its been a few months now are you still loving your "new" grinder?

Yes. It works great and no problems at all. I've cleaned it a few times with the instant rice trick. Still looks and works like new. Once in a while I have the urge to try an upgrade, but can't justify it yet. Maybe when I get an espresso maker.

It's just like shaving. Sure you get more when you pay more (usually), but at some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in. It just depends on where you draw the line. Personally, I found a blade grinder to work terribly with my french press (I like strong coffee, but don't care for sludge). The Solis Maestro Plus made all my coffee taste better, from drip, Aeropress, and French Press. Additionally, a blade grinder won't cut it with an espresso machine.

There is a price cusp somewhere around $300. If you are paying less than that, then among the options it probably doesn't matter much. Making the jump to a burr grinder in that price range will have a huge difference in your coffee (and is a must for espresso). Above that there are diminishing returns, unless you are a total nutjob about coffee, which many are.

I got a Rancilio Rocky a couple of months ago and I was blown away by the improvement in coffee, especially French Press, drip, etc. It is just so uniform that you are producing very little sludge and extracting everything perfectly. Alas, my Rocky is defective at its lowest grind settings, so I think I am going to get a Mazzer or similar high-end grinder instead.

I haven't tried the Solis, but many people like them for non-espresso preparations.

There is a price cusp somewhere around $300. If you are paying less than that, then among the options it probably doesn't matter much. Making the jump to a burr grinder in that price range will have a huge difference in your coffee (and is a must for espresso). Above that there are diminishing returns, unless you are a total nutjob about coffee, which many are.

I got a Rancilio Rocky a couple of months ago and I was blown away by the improvement in coffee, especially French Press, drip, etc. It is just so uniform that you are producing very little sludge and extracting everything perfectly. Alas, my Rocky is defective at its lowest grind settings, so I think I am going to get a Mazzer or similar high-end grinder instead.

I haven't tried the Solis, but many people like them for non-espresso preparations.

Scotto,
I highly recommend the Mazzer.:thumbup1: Beleive me you will notice a huge improvement in the grind quallity, even over a quallity grinder like the Rocky.

Not being funny...how fine are we talking for an espresso machine?

My grinder can grind finder than the 'espresso ground coffee' that you can buy. This thing makes beans powder.

At the end of the day, there is no use buying a fancy grinder if you are using a french press since they require you to use a coarse grind otherwise the filter clogs and it wont press. How fine a grind can you use in an aeropress? That's about the only thing I'm interested in buying.

My grinder can grind finder than the 'espresso ground coffee' that you can buy. This thing makes beans powder.

At the end of the day, there is no use buying a fancy grinder if you are using a french press since they require you to use a coarse grind otherwise the filter clogs and it wont press. How fine a grind can you use in an aeropress? That's about the only thing I'm interested in buying.

I can't comment on espresso, but it has more to do with a consistent grind. With a blade grinder, you get all sizes in your grind, from small to large. Even grinding for a short time, to get a large grind for press, you still end up with small particles that turn into sludge. A burr grinder results in a grind that is more consistent in terms of size. It's also more consistent for each use because it doesn't rely on time.

You'll have a stroke trying to plunge espresso grind through an AeroPress. :biggrin:

You'll have a stroke trying to plunge espresso grind through an AeroPress. :biggrin:

I have tried grinding beans down to a powder with a blade grinder and then using that in the Aeropress. It was a full 4 cup load for that batch. While I didn't get a stroke pressing it (it was so slow going through that I can't call that a stroke) I did need some extra patience while using both hands to press. When I tried the same grind for a single cup, it wasn't bad at all.

These days I grind down to a little larger than a powder. I'm really happy with the results from that.

I only drink espresso at home and the upgrade from Rancilio to Mazzer Mini E was a definite upgrade in quality. I am not sure I would note differences with other preparation methods.

"powder" is a relative thing. For real espresso machines that are putting out ~130psi of pressure, the coffee is the texture of talcum powder. That is very difficult to do, and to do perfectly evenly, in anything except a very good burr grinder.

Not that it would be good for much... But with my Mazzer, I could grind coffee as fine as powdered sugar or flour if I wanted to. I think Scotto said talcum powder... Absolutely.

The thing that a lot of folks forget at that price point is the grinder is VERY quiet (silent without beans) and basically ZERO static. As a guy who used to have coffee powder "explosions" from his cheaper grinders - that alone is worth the extra $$. The great espresso is just a fringe benefit..:biggrin:

To what? Do you mean the different models of Mazzers? Doesn't matter to me - I could only afford the Mini! :biggrin:

The Mazzer "E" models are the Mini with electronic dosing sections (cool but WAY up the $$ ladder). The Super Jolly is full-bore commercial. A bit stronger motor with a HUGE bean capacity.

Sorry, I meant Mazzer products to each other. There is usually a price point in a product line where it doesn't make sense to buy something for the average consumer like me. And then again the Mazzers are above my price point for any of them at this stage of the game. I need to retire to take full advantage of one of those. :biggrin:

I'm no expert, but for home use there is essentially no difference. The more expensive models have larger burrs and/or operate at different speeds to accommodate the needs of a commercial establishment. What you are paying for with Mazzer are the micrometrical adjustment of the burrs which allows hyper-tuning of the grind (for those lunatics who argue over the merits of a 32 second ristretto versus a 33 second, etc....), plus the build quality and name.

I'm no expert, but for home use there is essentially no difference. The more expensive models have larger burrs and/or operate at different speeds to accommodate the needs of a commercial establishment. What you are paying for with Mazzer are the micrometrical adjustment of the burrs which allows hyper-tuning of the grind (for those lunatics who argue over the merits of a 32 second ristretto versus a 33 second, etc....), plus the build quality and name.

Who the hell (cough, COUGH) are you talking about???!!! :rolleyes:

(that's a 24 second ristretto, mister!) :biggrin:

Top Bottom