What's new

Coffee Grinders & my Solis Maestro Plus

Seems like a lot more work than my Bodum... but if they results are as good as everyone on here atleast says then it is worth it.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Why do you say it's more work? Have you figured out a way to use your Bodum without adding coffee, adding water, and plunging? The Aero cleans up much faster, especially if you disassemble the screen to clean it.

yeah I just set my grinder to my setting grind my beans dump it in and let it steep for 4 mins. Come pack... plunge it and pour my cup. While it is cooling I disassemble and clean... yeah that part blows but i don't have to fumble with discs and coffee grounds and excessive pushing... Eh... I am just oober lazy when i am half asleep in the morning

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
yeah I just set my grinder to my setting grind my beans dump it in and let it steep for 4 mins. Come pack... plunge it and pour my cup. While it is cooling I disassemble and clean... yeah that part blows but i don't have to fumble with discs and coffee grounds and excessive pushing... Eh... I am just oober lazy when i am half asleep in the morning

Ah, I now see why your Bodym is so much easier. Per your instructions, you don't add water, don't stir, and don't have to dispose of the grinds. What do you do when your old grinds reach the top of the pot?

On the slim chance that there is someone else on the planet who didn't know this, after you pour yourself an espresso and knock the used puck out, instead of putting the puck in the garbage bin, put it in the fridge. It will absorb any unwanted fragrances that are swirling around the fridge (leaving more room for your favorite beer).

By the way, my machine is a Gaggia Classic Coffee and the grinder is nameless other than a tag that says 'made in Italy'. If you are in Australia and need a supplier of great machines and coffee, try www.caffebianchi.com Great blends and you can purchase online.

When I bought the espresso machine from them a few years ago, they talked me down from an expensive toy with lovely dials and pipes to the Gaggia Classic Coffee, which was around half the price. Sadly, no longer available. It weighs around twice as much as the newer model; the Gaggia Classic. The crema that this beauty produces makes my daily espresso look like a mini version of an expertly-poured Guinness.

snip...instead of putting the puck in the garbage bin, put it in the fridge. It will absorb any unwanted fragrances that are swirling around the fridge...snip .

I don't know if I would do that with the Aeropress puck...you will end up with a mess when the puck falls apart.

You wouldn't be related to jbc? :lol:

Constant leakage? Please explain yourself.
Super steep? It's the press that requires steeping.
Bad reviews? Certainly not on this site.

I used a french press for over twenty years, and have half a dozen of them. Not one has been used since I bought an Aeropress.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I too am a convert. I have used the french press for 10 years and the Aeropress is better.

Welp... I followed the instructions Ouch gave me by making 2 seperate batches with 2 heaping scoops and water up to the 2 line. The aeropress makes coffee a lot smoother than i am used to so based on the first 3 sips I just took (still too hot for my liking right now) I seems way way way took weak. If something changes once it cools a bit I will report but I think tomorrow I am going to have to kick it up about 20 notches. I think I may make the grind a hair finer, I went on the edge of my fine settings and I am going to turn it down one more notch towards fine.

On the slim chance that there is someone else on the planet who didn't know this, after you pour yourself an espresso and knock the used puck out, instead of putting the puck in the garbage bin, put it in the fridge. It will absorb any unwanted fragrances that are swirling around the fridge (leaving more room for your favorite beer). ...snip

Well Jeremy, your slim chance worked, 'cause I didn't know it!!! How long does it last before you change it?? The Bride changes boxes of Baking Soda monthly.

snip...It weighs around twice as much as the newer model; the Gaggia Classic. The crema that this beauty produces makes my daily espresso look like a mini version of an expertly-poured Guinness.

You mean like this:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Spot on. Same beautiful little Gaggia, same result, even the same espresso cup. How did you get into my kitchen?

As for changing the pucks in the fridge, I keep a saucer on one of the shelves, usually add a puck or two during the week and then change the whole thing once a week. Works a treat.

Cheers

Jeremy

There is a price cusp somewhere around $300. If you are paying less than that, then among the options it probably doesn't matter much. Making the jump to a burr grinder in that price range will have a huge difference in your coffee (and is a must for espresso). Above that there are diminishing returns, unless you are a total nutjob about coffee, which many are.

I got a Rancilio Rocky a couple of months ago and I was blown away by the improvement in coffee, especially French Press, drip, etc. It is just so uniform that you are producing very little sludge and extracting everything perfectly. Alas, my Rocky is defective at its lowest grind settings, so I think I am going to get a Mazzer or similar high-end grinder instead.

I haven't tried the Solis, but many people like them for non-espresso preparations.
I have a post on this in Speakeasy. As a result of your's and others recommendations I purchased a Rancilio Rocky today.. It's on it's way Thanks!

Art Cummings= connman

I have a post on this in Speakeasy. As a result of your's and others recommendations I purchased a Rancilio Rocky today.. It's on it's way Thanks!

Art Cummings= connman

Sweet, that looks like a very nice grinder, does anyone have the Rancilio Sylvia?

Thanks to everyone here, I have been looking at the Rancilio Sylvia / Rocky Combo, any thoughts?

Sweet, that looks like a very nice grinder, does anyone have the Rancilio Sylvia?

Thanks to everyone here, I have been looking at the Rancilio Sylvia / Rocky Combo, any thoughts?

You'll find zillions of bytes of info relative to that combination on the web. Happy reading. As an owner of both machines, I can tell you the following:

(1) The conventional wisdom is correct: Silvia is indeed a persnickety little witch when it comes to grind
(2) Once mastered, Silvia can produce wicked espresso, but the learning curve is steep*
(3) Rocky didn't work well with Silvia. He is now relegated to French Press, drip, etc. grinding while my Mazzer Mini stands tall for espresso.

As usual, YMMV and all that.

*In an odd way, I like Silvia's quirks. It makes me feel manly to have bent her to my will.

Great info, thanks Scotto.

I have been reading quite a bit on the pair. Interesting that the Rocky wasn't working well in regards to grind for Silvia, I will be re-thinking the combo now.

Top Bottom