What's new

Coconut oil based soaps cause acne?

So here is the thing...

I've started seeing a woman who, after staying at my place for a week, developed quite bad acne on her face. She noted that this is very unusual for her as she isn't prone to acne, and she is in her 30s, so a bit unusual (although not impossible) for acne to attack her all of a sudden. Anyway, she is suspecting it might be coconut oil cosmetics, something she is not using at all as is bad for her skin. So I started going through my cosmetics, and of course, so many things have coconut oil. Including my fav Saponificio Varesino bath soap and Stirling shaving soap, and generic aftershave cream. Anyway, a bit reluctantly, I switched to MWF (I like it, but prefer my Stirlings). Now, MWF still uses sodium cocoate, but apparently that is totally different from coconut oil or coconut milk and does not cause acne. After the switch, things are getting better, so let us see if she stays acne free. Might be a placebo.

My question to you dear forum people is: Did any of you get acne using coconut oil/milk soaps (especially on the face after using shaving soaps on a daily basis?) Is this a known problem? But more importantly, do you really think the effect of coconut oil could be transferred to her with my freshly shaven face :) seems improbable, but maybe you have a story to tell?

And no, she is not pregnant, apparently, that can cause acne in your 30s as well. Phew ;)

I wouldn't blame the coconut oil. I was using Kirk's Castile unscented bath soap which was straight up coconut oil based and neither I nor my wife, in her 30's, had an issue with increased acne.

My folks use a good bit of coconut oil topically.

I would say it's more likely to be other chemicals or fragrance chemicals.

Stirling and MWF both use saponified coconut oil so it's unlikely any improvement by switching to MWF was coconut oil related.

Coconut oil itself can worsen acne for those prone to acne. I don't believe it causes acne in those not prone to it.

I wouldn't blame the coconut oil. I was using Kirk's Castile unscented bath soap which was straight up coconut oil based and neither I nor my wife, in her 30's, had an issue with increased acne.

My folks use a good bit of coconut oil topically.

Kirk's is the MAIN soap that I cannot use at all. I don't get acne but it is extremely drying on my skin, especially the face. Because of this, I have been super leery to try a soap like Canada or MdC because I think it'll be money wasted. After just a couple day of use, my skin actually peels- kind of like what it looks like after a sunburn. It's nuts because I really like using soaps without a lot of chemicals.

Been using Coconut Oil for over 50 years and it doesn't cause me any trouble but we're all different and it is pretty hard to guess what might cause problems for someone else.

As an example, I have been using HA Serum and love what it does for my skin -- and HA is something our bodies make naturally and it is what lubricates our joints and our eyes (according to Google anyway) -- so I sent some to a friend who has sensitive skin and can't use a lot of scented shave soaps - says they burn. He put a little HA serum on the back of his hand to test it and said "it burned"!?! That amazed me --- but point being, we just don't know what someone else is going to have a reaction to.

coconut oil can clog pores and could lead to breakouts if applying to face directly. Thats why its not typically found in preshave oil I believe. however i dont think coconut oil in a shave soap would cause acne.
and certainly not from your BBS face after shaving. like others have said more likely to be other factors. has her diet changed drastically? or has she started using a new cosmetic product?
hormones? are you sure she aint pregnant? 🤔😉

The GF might be allergic to something you have or use but I wouldn't give up on using things you like. Have her get her own cleansing products and not use yours. Also I highly doubt there's any transference from your face to hers.

Top Bottom