proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Used to be my favorite wood to turn before I got sensitized....now I am highly allergic to it, and it gets worse every time. My dermatologist told me, the next time I am ending up in the hospital...

My father gave me this chunk of cocobolo along with a stern warning about using a respirator.

I was wearing shorts while turning it and the sawdust got on my legs/feet. There was definitely some skin irritation.

Used to be my favorite wood to turn before I got sensitized....now I am highly allergic to it, and it gets worse every time. My dermatologist told me, the next time I am ending up in the hospital...
Sorry to hear that, but you have some great abilities and can really bring out the beauty in any medium for a handle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My father gave me this chunk of cocobolo along with a stern warning about using a respirator.

I was wearing shorts while turning it and the sawdust got on my legs/feet. There was definitely some skin irritation.
That's how mine started, after turning it for some years, one day the skin inside my elbows started itching. Next time it was worse, and then it started on my chest as well. This was from the fine dust that settled on the skin. It got worse every time I worked with Cocobolo. As I said, my dermatologist told me it gets worse every time and eventually I end up in the hospital. He also told me in his pretty long career I was the second one that was sensitized like this by a wood.
Eventually I stopped working with it. A few years later we visited Costa Rica and in an art market I picked up a nicely turned bowl, immediately I realized it was cocobolo and set it down. This night I broke out with the worst reaction I ever had. Just touching the wood for some 5 seconds with my hands made my body react like crazy. The interesting fact is that the allergic reaction appeared in the areas where it all had started - inside elbows and on the chest.

I feel your pain, literally. I used to work as a professional woodwind maker and got sensitized. Started with Cocus, which sensitized me to virtually everything in the Rosewood family, even though Cocus isn’t a Rosewood like Cocobolo. My skin reacts within seconds at this point. Serious drag.

Over the years I have tried to warn newer woodworkers I meet when I see they are working with certain woods, but most are not interested in hearing it, at all. It’s the whole “Not going to happen to me” attitude, so eventually I just quit trying to be helpful as people seem to find it annoying when you attempt to tell them that what they enjoy doing might harm them. Probably should just hand them a carton of cigarettes and snuff box for Cocobolo dust.

I showed the pictures to my wife, who said, and I quote, "wow, that's beautiful, how much is it?" I told her it wasn't for sale. However, you have an amazing piece for her to ask, as she is even cheaper than I am. The fact that she would even ask is high praise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for sharing that.

And yes, they’re all for sale.

Actually, I just setup an Etsy Shop today

Top Bottom