What's new

Coco butter? Really?

So I went to a barber shop today. First of all it is more of a man cave that happens to have barbers chairs then just a plain old barber shop.But that is a story for a different time. After the hair cut we got on to the topic of shaving and straight razors ( he does shaves) I was telling him about my skin problems and he suggested I use coco butter. He said that it would lube better then the mineral oil that I was using and make the skin softer.

I did not think it was going to be that easy, but for two bucks at the local store it was worth a shot right.
Two words holy crap! :001_wub: Yes it is that easy. I got a great shave face is not all broken out and I got very little razor burn. Most of that was still from the tenderness from yesterday.

I will have test shave number two tomorrow and see if it is duplicated.

No breakouts or clogged pores?

I do not like the smell of coco butter, at all, but it's good that you found something you like that seems to work for you.

I heard mineral oil will clog your pores. There are other oils out there that won't however. I'm glad you found something that worked out :001_smile

I think Eucris has either shea or coco butter in it and it works well for me with coarse and sensitive skin. Look around and see if that can help also. In addition I just found letting my lather sit for like five to seven minutes yield me great shave maybe that can help also.

I know pure shea butter is supposed to be phenomenal for skin - e.g. moisturizes... helps heal scars... reverse wrinkles and stretch marks... help relieve eczema...etc. But it's too viscous to be used as a shaving lubricant - at least IMHO(it has a consistency similar to deodorant when being applied to the skin).

I believe, cocoa butter is supposed to have some similar properties and, if it acts as a good lubricant too, I can understand why your barber suggested giving it a try...

Glad to hear you found something that delivers the comfort and results you've been looking for.

Shave on!

Last edited:
It's great. I not only use it as a pre-shave oil bit I use it on my entire body. I like Palmers

proxy.php

Warm it up when you warm your mug and you'll be in love with it.

I don't use anything but my soap but at Walgreens you can get cocoa butter in a stick form for less than $3.00, and use it like a shave stick. Might be worth a look if your inclined to use such products.

I don't use anything but my soap but at Walgreens you can get cocoa butter in a stick form for less than $3.00, and use it like a shave stick. Might be worth a look if your inclined to use such products.

Warning: Do not forget and leave a stick of coco butter in your car in the summer. What a nice smelling mess!

I found a stick at a local health food store.

Warning: Do not forget and leave a stick of coco butter in your car in the summer. What a nice smelling mess!
Yes it starts to melt with contact to the skin. I could not imagine what it was like to try and clean that gooey mess.

Had the second shave last night with the coco butter. The results of the first night was replicated. I think we have a winner!!

Do you think that it will gum up the bristles in the brush eventually?

It is less oily and gooey then the mineral oil I was using and I did have to clean the brush a little more often. I just checked my brush and did not feel gummy at all. But it is still possible that it may yet. I feel that the benefit out ways the extra work to clean the brush. The other bonus is that the coco butter is starting to help out a lot with my skin condition as well.

R

Rsq

Pure shea is the best, imo. It works miracles. Chapped lips? One application and cured. Not held over until the next application, cured. Coco is supposed to be similarly good, but bad for people that are acne prone, it can clog some people's pores. Shea is noncomedogenic, though oddly thicker and stickier. Definitely not for a preshave. A tiny bit goes an extremely long way.

I know pure shea butter is supposed to be phenomenal for skin - e.g. moisturizes... helps heal scars... reverse wrinkles and stretch marks... help relieve eczema...etc. But it's too viscous to be used as a shaving lubricant - at least IMHO(it has a consistency similar to deodorant when being applied to the skin).

I believe, cocoa butter is supposed to have some similar properties and, if it acts as a good lubricant too, I can understand why your barber suggested giving it a try...

Glad to hear you found something that delivers the comfort and results you've been looking for.

Shave on!

Now, if you figure out how to shave with just the shea butter you'll be experiencing a butter shave a la Seinfeld...

You peek my intrest! Keep us informed. I had my first bad shave in months yesterday, my neck looks like I went back to the M3! Good thing Im rockin a beard!!

This makes shave three and no real lasting irritation.To me the shaves seem a little closer as well. I have used the coco butter for the last four days and no breakouts or black heads.

EDIT: I also have a La Grise coticule heading my way that should help as well.

Last edited:
Still no breakouts and great shaves! I used my one razor that was honed off of a coticule, damn that was a smooth shave.
Jarrod I now see what you mean about that little 2 inch spot on the end of the chin. I found that I have to go in at a weird angle to get that spot and at times I still have to breakout the de for a touch up.

Top Bottom