What's new

Cocktail bitters

Anyone have any interesting bitters recommendations? My go-to cocktail is a rye Manhattan, and I alternate between Angostura and Peychaud’s. Both good, but as with shaving supplies, it is interesting to explore alternatives.

A different form of alternative, but I use it in German Potato salad.
image.jpg

Regan's Orange Bitters

We were at the Hotel Jerome bar in Aspen, Colorado, and had one of the best Old Fashioneds ever. I asked the bartender about the bitters and she showed me the bottle. I use it in Manhattans, Old Fashioneds, and Vieux Carres (in combination with Peychaud's). Sometimes I use a little Angostura along with the Regan's.

We add a generous few shakes into our martinis. Good stuff!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
How do you use bitters?
Just a dash? Or a full eye dropper? Do you pair them with your liquor? Like someone said the pineapple in the Rum. What about the cherry in the Rum? Does it matter?

I’ve never used any.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Typically, you measure bitters by the drop or dash. They are very strongly flavored. A little goes a very long way. Used properly, they can add wonderful complexity, but they can quickly overwhelm.

If you are playing with them, start slowly. You always can add another drop or dash, but you can't take one back.

Cool thanks. Might pick up those Bitterman’s. I found an 8pk of assorted on Amazon.

Top Bottom