What's new

Coca Cola (not in the Mess Hall)

It works for cleaning battery terminals.
It works for tenderizing beef.
Has anyone ever tried cleaning a razor with it?

I have a feeling it would not be friendly to the finish on a gold tone.
But it would likely get the gunk out of a TTO.

What's your $0.02?

Coca Cola cleans acid residue off battery terminals. The gunk on your razor is soap, which is alkaline. In addition, I don't care if there is sugar residue left on my battery terminals, but I wouldn't want it on my razor. There are better options.

Good chemistry lesson. Thanks.

Coca Cola cleans acid residue off battery terminals. The gunk on your razor is soap, which is alkaline. In addition, I don't care if there is sugar residue left on my battery terminals, but I wouldn't want it on my razor. There are better options.

I use Scrubbing Bubbles on my newly bought vintage razors, spray on, let bubbles work, use toothbrush, rinse, walla- clean. For that rusty Garage sale $3 buy- Send to Razor Emporium

I use Scrubbing Bubbles on my newly bought vintage razors, spray on, let bubbles work, use toothbrush, rinse, walla- clean. For that rusty Garage sale $3 buy- Send to Razor Emporium

Good chemistry lesson. Thanks.

These seem like better uses for that stuff than drinking it.

:lol::lol:

My thoughts as well.. I'll save it for the car battery. And tenderizing a bit of beef.. Mixes with rum, okay, though.

These are the kinds of things that run through my head when I can't sleep and get up too early..

When I was in the Marine Corps our Mortar section would bring Coke to the field with them to clean their mortar tubes. A little Coke, scrub, rinse with water, lube and it was ready to go. The mortar guys always said that Coke was the best cleaner for removing carbon buildup from firing.

I would try it on some user grade razors to see what it does to the plating, but not on anything delicate.

Yep... one or two of those $3 Fleabay specials.. You know the ones.. the Fat Boy Techs with the Red and Blue handles..:thumbup:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I understand that it's the phosphoric acid content that distinguishes Coke as a cleaner. So, just keep that in mind when you're considering an application.

I understand that it's the phosphoric acid content that distinguishes Coke as a cleaner. So, just keep that in mind when you're considering an application.

This. And phosphoric acid is a dandy rust treatment/inhibitor. I presume the concentration is too low to do much in that department before it does other things. BTW I read that lemon juice (the citric acid) is a good final cleaner and adds a level of protection to some platings (I think only nickel and/silver, no mention of chrome). I have actually used lemon juice for this and observed no real difference.

I'm a believer in scrubbing bubbles...love the stuff. More aggressive work gets the magic eraser or metal polish. Good old hot water and dawn soap is excellent for de gunking

Never tried it, no desire to. I have used with no issues a 10:1 distilled water to clear household ammonia mixture to clean gunk that doesn't come using scrubbing bubbles. I don't do it for two long.

Never cleaned a razor with Coca Cola, but have used it to clean my toilet! Had run out of my regular cleanser, and it did a nice job.

Top Bottom